New Nomad

2»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    DCR00 wrote:
    see PUSH are now doing their own Kashima style coating, in black

TF are doing it

Just saw the post on their facebook page, looks a little weird with the Kashima air sleeve and black shaft though! Kinda like the old marzocchi air shocks!

p4pb3176798.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

The next RS Monarch looks interesting, I'd be interested to see how it compares to a Fox shock

Well people don't like the feel of the current monarchs over on another forum so you can only hope that the one SC have sorted out with RS is of better tune.

depends on the rider - fox tend not to be as damped as RS and so they feel plush but blow through travel very quickly which twined with the VPP makes for a soggy ride. it makes proper tuning on non-adjustable shocks a must these days. with a CC DB air CS you can set the damping yourself - would buy a DB air CS before a float X
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If Marzocchis new air shock is as good as their new coil shock (better than my CCDB) then it's going to blow away all the competition.
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

The next RS Monarch looks interesting, I'd be interested to see how it compares to a Fox shock

Well people don't like the feel of the current monarchs over on another forum so you can only hope that the one SC have sorted out with RS is of better tune.

depends on the rider - fox tend not to be as damped as RS and so they feel plush but blow through travel very quickly which twined with the VPP makes for a soggy ride. it makes proper tuning on non-adjustable shocks a must these days. with a CC DB air CS you can set the damping yourself - would buy a DB air CS before a float X

Problem with the CCDB is you have to really know a) what you want from your shock and b) how to make the most of all the adjustments on offer and that's not going to be everyone. Off the shelf shocks that come on bikes and frames have to cater for so many different rider weights and styles that no shock is going to be perfect for everyone. I always say run the stock shock tune for a year or so until it needs servicing, get an idea of where it doesn't feel ideal and get it tuned. That way you have a shock built for you with minimum cost. My tuned RP23 feels far better than any off the shelf RS shock I've ever ridden.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    lawman wrote:
    My tuned RP23 feels far better than any off the shelf RS shock I've ever ridden.

my point exactly.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's just a great looking, well detailed bike imo and no doubt it will ride very nicely as well and that's what it's all about :)

Really am loving the murdered out colour way!

It's like you ate a bike marketing bullshit dictionary, and just vomit paragraphs every time you post!

FWIW, I rode a Blur XCc some years ago and really didn't like it, pedalled dreadfully, I'd hope their longer travel ones work better!
  • rockmonkeysc
    What the f*ck is a murdered out colour way?
    You would have to be a real c*nt to come up with that phrase.
  • njee20
    'Murcan innit.

We call it "black".
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    It's like you ate a bike marketing bullshit dictionary, and just vomit paragraphs every time you post!

Not really, all I've done is take at the bike and make my own assumptions on it's features. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are some very sensible ideas on it that to my mind make sense. Just as an example the protection around the chainstays is neat and having ridden a few SC bikes with similar protection fitted recently it both works and is damn quiet, and looks a darn sight better than an inner tube wrapped round the stays. People also bitch about PF BB's all the time, SC have stuck with threaded, another sensible choice. All I'm trying to say is that compared to some of the poorly thought out and designed bikes out there, this is an improvement. I've been riding and working with bikes for the best part of 10 years, so I've got a decent idea of what works and is sensible and what doesn't.
  • njee20
    It was more these snippets:

"The geometry looks super smart"
    "longer reach, lower BB, shorter chainstays, slacker headangle and shorter seat tube so you can easily use a 150mm dropper post"
    "Forget the wheelsize and the carbon frame, the geometry is gonna make this bike"
    "Really am loving the murdered out colour way!"

All of which belong in the bold 'highlight' text from an MBR review, and (apart from the second one) all mean absolutely fuck all!

Geometry isn't really a right/wrong thing anyway.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Geometry can be wrong. I had a ride on an early Identiti Mogul. 67 degree head angle and a really high bottom bracket on a downhill bike. Rode like a sack of crap.
  • njee20
    Of course it can, that's common sense! But there's no 'correct' geometry. Not least because everyone's a different shape.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    looks like a great bike, but SC have clearly nailed their colours to the enduro / gravity mast with this incarnation of the nomad.

longer, lower, slacker and single ring only, can imagine it's a scream down hill and on the single track, but in this guise i'm guessing it might start to become a bit beast to pedal up.

I've had the nomad c for a couple of years now and absolutely love it, so it may sound like new model jealousy, but i think the mk3 has probably lost some of it versatility. the mk2 (and mk1) made their name as true 'do it all' bikes that could be built up big and burly or light and nippy (for a 6 inch rig) and are equally happy going up hill as down. i know with my nomad c it's as comfortable on a 20 mile spin round the peaks as it is on sessions at wharncliffe or a day of uplift at blaenau.

i don't see the new version being as flexible, however i guess that's where the bronson takes over in the range now
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Completely agree with NJee - geometry is just preference. Sure, some like certain set ups more than others - and the manufacturers will play to this, or the latest trends. But is good to see that we have some variation between brands and models.

And the same goes for suspension. To me VPP is just odd. It shouldn't work, but does for many.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    indeed, i really want to like the Santa cruz so i can buy one but VPP doesnt do it for me :( not unlike orange where i wanted to like it but as i always say they like riding a bag of spanners.

Other thing that suprises me is there is no alu version yet? being easier to produce than the carbon version i would of thought releasing at the same time would of been good, cash in on those eager early buyers i guess who would of bought alu but can not wait so will pay the 1k premium! not saying Carbon is bad just not worth 1k IMO
  • njee20
    Think of that the other way round - how many people will pay the £1000 premium to have it first who would ordinarily buy the cheaper frame. You launch the alu one later to pick up those customers who absolutely wouldn't buy the carbon one. Always the way - see also XX1, Shadow Plus etc, comes in at the top end first.
  • Thewaylander
    ah that’s what I meant... but Imay have mistyped a bit due to lack of coffee when typing... and we all know how terrible my grammar and spelling is!
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    It was more these snippets:

"The geometry looks super smart"
    "longer reach, lower BB, shorter chainstays, slacker headangle and shorter seat tube so you can easily use a 150mm dropper post"
    "Forget the wheelsize and the carbon frame, the geometry is gonna make this bike"
    "Really am loving the murdered out colour way!"

All of which belong in the bold 'highlight' text from an MBR review, and (apart from the second one) all mean absolutely fark all!

Geometry isn't really a right/wrong thing anyway.

I'm just giving my opinion, as you say geometry and fit is very personal and for me the geometry and the features look pretty good. Granted this isn't gonna be for everyone, heck it's too much bike for 90% of what I ride, but I still think it's cool as sh!t. Is it really that wrong to get excited about a new bike these days or are people just instantly labelled as slaves to marketing if they show any sign of this?
  • Thewaylander
    you just get over excited ;)

its interesting I'll give it that, but your previosu rides on VPP were realtively negative, and though slack is good 65degree on 650b i very likely to become ponderous for most use. reserving my judgement till i can through a leg over(like i say to all the girls).
  • lawman
    you just get over excited ;)

its interesting I'll give it that, but your previosu rides on VPP were realtively negative, and though slack is good 65degree on 650b i very likely to become ponderous for most use. reserving my judgement till i can through a leg over(like i say to all the girls).

My sincerest apologies for not being a cynical, grumpy old fart :lol: :P

No doubt it's a very specific tool, but can we criticise it for that? The owner of my LBS at uni has just ordered one, so I'm gonna have a look when it arrives.
  • Thewaylander
    give it time... you will!
  • I have to say that I absolutely love the look of this bike and would love to own one and if...... I lived out in the Alps or up in the lakes/Wales/Scotland then this would be absolutely top of my wish list. Sadly living down in Devon it would be a massive overkill for the majority of the terrain on offer locally :( .
    I am surprised to hear so many people slamming the VPP system in this thread :shock:. I have found that when I had my Blur LT setup with a kashima fox shock the small bump sensitivity while sitting in the saddle was great but when pedalling out of the saddle the bike wallowed. I made the swap to a Rockshox Monarch Plus rc3 and the bike feels perfect :) and I rarely feel the need to reach down to change settings.

Anyway the reason I started writing this post was to bring up the issue of price....... I have no problem with a frame costing £2800 what I do have a problem with is a frame costing £2800 whilst over the pond it is being sold for $3000 (£1800). Can someone please explain to me how this is justified???

From doing a little digging it seems Santa Cruz frames are made in Taiwan and assembled in country by the distributor. Therefor the shipping / handling / insurance costs of getting a Nomad frame into the U.K or the U.S.A should be pretty much the same.......

If Santa Cruz can import their frames into the U.S.A without paying duties etc that will account for some of the discrepencies...... working it out on the retail price of the frame it will be a total of £85 import duties and £382 VAT making a total of £467

so when you add the extra costs to the £1800 U.S retail price you get £2267 so why are we paying £2800??? a comparable price hike of £533 over our American cousins????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Yeti SB66c 2013