edited April 2014 in MTB general
If it's as good as it should be then I'm selling the wife to buy one
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-s ... -2014.html
I always liked the old one.

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    part of me screams April fools....

But looking good, not the hugest fan of vpp platform, but with that set be really good.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    It's not made me want to chop in my Nomad c 26" for one, RS are proving to be king ding a ling with manufacturers again though it seems as fox have well and truly dropped the ball!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think the terrible quality of last years Fox products combined with the CTD system has made Fox quite unpopular plus their aftermarket forks are just far too expensive compared to the alternatives.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Completely agree, lazy product development now doesn't justify the prices. They'd rather put money into their 'RAD' line with their athletes who all have everything custom stacked/shimmed/valves anyway!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i like it

looks very similar to a Tracer with the changes they have made to the linkage

however, im not so easily sold on the 650B marketing hype, so would say no based on it only coming in that flavour

Same reason i wont be buying a carbon Tracer. That and the £2,800 price tag for the frame only.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    isn't a 650b nomad just a Bronson then? :?
  • Thewaylander
    welshkev wrote:
    isn't a 650b nomad just a Bronson then? :?

Nope, 165mm travel and 65degree head angle.. totally different beast far more down motivated.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    The black version is one great looking bike!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Lots of nice features on it for sure. The new lower link allows for shorter chainstays and is much less likely to be damaged like the old one was (and indeed still is on the new Tracer T275) so that's a double win in my book, the chainstays are actually a smidge shorter than the 5010! The internal cable routing looks super neat, and great to see guides molded from entry to exit, so no fannying around with torches and trying to get the routing sorted.

The geometry looks super smart as well imo, longer reach, lower BB, shorter chainstays, slacker headangle and shorter seat tube so you can easily use a 150mm dropper post, reckon I'd be able to fit on an XL comfortably and use a super short stem. Forget the wheelsize and the carbon frame, the geometry is gonna make this bike.

p4pb10776333.jpg

It just looks like a stupidly well thought out bike to me and it sure has got me thinking about whether to delay getting a new bike and see if they transfer that thinking into re-hashed versions of the 5010 and Bronson later/next year. Love the stealth look as well 8)

As for RS suspension, a little digging makes me think they're holding back on the Fox build kits because they're under an embargo for a little while longer...

881669d1396342258t-spotted-whistler-new-650b-nomad-2014_newfox36_650b.jpg

My guess is we'll see a 650b 36 at Sea Otter in a few weeks, likewise we'll probably see the new XTR and possibly XT 1x groupsets around that time as well, so expect a full Sram Pike/Monarch/XX1/X01 build and then a Fox/Shimano build later on. Interesting looking Enve wheels as well, they look and are labelled differently to their current wheels.
  • Thewaylander
    depends on how the VPP is set up for me, it was a just a bit to pedal friendly and not supple enough for me, like a really supple back end otherwise what are all my pro pedal settings for lol
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Looks very nice, bit too much bike for what I need but when the changes go on other models I will probably change my bike. Think that will be a year off at least, it depends if SC want to pigeon hole the Solo and Bronson to 1x chainsets.....

I thought the 36 650b fork was pretty open knowledge tbh?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    don't see the what all the fuss is about TBH
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:

It's just a great looking, well detailed bike imo and no doubt it will ride very nicely as well and that's what it's all about :)

full_Nomad3c_Frames_31948.jpg?1396339966

Really am loving the murdered out colour way!
  • poah
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

It's just a great looking, well detailed bike imo and no doubt it will ride very nicely as well and that's what it's all about :)
    Really am loving the murdered out colour way!

it will be like every other VPP bike, good for pedalling but not so great on small bumps so gives a mushy feel. on the plus side no fox pish to make the mushy feel even worse on those frames :lol:
  • lawman
    Isn't what you're saying kinda contradictive? They are incredibly efficient under power but by no means mushy :? I'd say FSR bikes I've ridden have been far mushier.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The VPP frames I have ridden (Blur and V10) have ridden really nicely. It's the only rear suspension design I think is better than Giants Meastro.
    Looking at the geometry for the new Nomad I want a size between large and extra large. With a 400mm post on full extension I can just about get away with a 19" seat tube but a 635 effective top tube is too long, at the moment I have a 630mm ett with a 35mm stem and its a bit of a stretch when riding hard.
  • poah
    lawman wrote:
    Isn't what you're saying kinda contradictive? They are incredibly efficient under power but by no means mushy :? I'd say FSR bikes I've ridden have been far mushier.

I worded it wrongly. don't get me wrong it does look nice although very expensive. no suspension is perfect, they all have issues of some sort and a lot can depend on the shock and sag.

would I buy one no, would I say yes to a free one certainly.
  • lawman
    Geometries pretty personal, for me either the L or XL nomad would be spot on, could run a 55mm stem on the large and a 35mm on the XL and end up with pretty much the same cockpit length. With Solo I'd be on the limit of the XL, I can just about get the post low enough with a 125mm reverb, but the shorter 19.5" on the Nomad would allow me to run a 150mm if I wanted. With posts like the Reverb available in 400mm+ lengths I think we'll be seeing more and more bikes with shorter seat tubes for a given size, which is a great move imo. It's about time manufacturers realised that getting the top tube and reach spot on is perhaps more important than seat tube length. It's that same old thing of mtb's still being stuck in a world of road bike geometry and the sooner we move away from that, the better.

Aside from having a bit too much travel for the riding I do most of the time, there is very, very little I can see wrong with the new Nomad, it ticks every single box and if it rides as well as it is thought out, Santa Cruz will have a winner on their hands.
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:

I worded it wrongly. don't get me wrong it does look nice although very expensive. no suspension is perfect, they all have issues of some sort and a lot can depend on the shock and sag.

would I buy one no, would I say yes to a free one certainly.

Aye nothings perfect, but from all the designs I've tried, Dw-Link, VPP, single pivots, FSR, faux bar etc VPP is one of the best, behind only the DW-link imo. The one trait I'm not keen on with VPP is the feel through the pedals as the chain growth counters pedal bob, it's a strange sensation and something I've never felt with the DW-link, but aside from that I can't separate them in terms of pure performance, they both descend really well and are incredibly efficient.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I really really really really want that Nomad
  • ej2320
    Also on the topic of new

The next RS Monarch looks interesting, I'd be interested to see how it compares to a Fox shock
  • poah
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

The next RS Monarch looks interesting, I'd be interested to see how it compares to a Fox shock

better like the current one is lol
  • Dick Scruttock
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

Well people don't like the feel of the current monarchs over on another forum so you can only hope that the one SC have sorted out with RS is of better tune.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

Well people don't like the feel of the current monarchs over on another forum so you can only hope that the one SC have sorted out with RS is of better tune.

I was never very impressed with mine, it felt a bit stiff and not very plush through the start of it's travel
    I love my Float X

But I think the Pike is amazing, so if the shock performs like the Pike it should be on par with the Float X
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    On the film the front wheel skewer on the right - on the spec - other side. This is a callous attempt to trick us. Also did you see that they blindfolded one of the horses - the fit one. God knows what its fate was when the bikers left. Those three guys looked really happy to see the bikers go. Pervs.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    The problem with having more seat post out is that there's more chance of bending the post. I bent several when I had a 19" frame.
  • lawman
    The problem with having more seat post out is that there's more chance of bending the post. I bent several when I had a 19" frame.

You'd be doing pretty well to bend a dropper though! ;) For us non-seatpost bending mortals, or those of us with short legs and long bodies, it's a great step forward imo. Just need a shorter travel version now!

I recently had a go on a Pike and it was awesome, super stiff, very supple but it rode super high in the stroke, had great support so you could really push it through corners. Completely eclipsed the basic CTD evo shock out back. The full factory CTD's are far better imo and with a little tuning they are one of the best out there imo. CTD makes sense for shocks, especially on bikes like the Solo and Bronson where you might want to change it on the fly. Forks are pretty set and forget for most people hopefully we'll see a change from Fox at Sea Otter. I read somewhere from the RAD fork tests that they had much more increments for the low-speed compression adjust, my guess is they'll stick with CTD but add more tunability for the descend or trail mode. Hopefully now they've moved production overseas the price might drop a little to make them more competitive after market.
  • Dick Scruttock
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also on the topic of new

I was never very impressed with mine, it felt a bit stiff and not very plush through the start of it's travel
    I love my Float X

But I think the Pike is amazing, so if the shock performs like the Pike it should be on par with the Float X

Push removed Push ind tunes for RS monarchs etc as the results were not as good as expected.........
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    see PUSH are now doing their own Kashima style coating, in black

TF are doing it