Work/Job

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2014 in The Crudcatcher
I know this is the crudcatcher and the replies will be vastly different :lol:

but I'm after peoples opinions. would you stay in a job just because it's reasonably well paid, but boring as hell and with virtually no chance of progression? Or, would you risk jacking it all in, giving up the company car etc to go and do something else?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    There's a similar thread in Cakestop. You really need to tell people that the £40k you are earning isn't much, that didn't annoy people in that thread at all.
    In all seriousness if you can afford to go for it. But, you mention having a kid in the Tuesday thread so have a good think about it first. I wanted to be an ambulance about 12-13 years ago but with 2 young kids couldn't afford the drop in pay until I got fully qualified. The way things have panned out I don't regret it too often, but sometimes wonder.
    Hang on it's April fools day. Is asking a serious question in the CC a prank I've just fallen for?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you can afford to change, then change.
    The longer you stay for the pay the harder it will become to leave. The pay is like a pair of golden handcuffs.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • welshkev
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I wanted to be an ambulance about 12-13 years ago

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    nee norr nee norr, nee norr nee norr, nee norr nee norr, nee norr nee norr, nee norr nee norr.......
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I'm having the opposite problem. I love my job, I have a company van and all the tools I could want. The pay just isn't enough but I believe that is because I'm newly qualified and still young. For now I will be staying much to the Mrs' annoyance!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    JBA wrote:
    If you can afford to change, then change.
    The longer you stay for the pay the harder it will become to leave. The pay is like a pair of golden handcuffs.

the man talks sense

burn him
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Not enough information to properly comment really. However, if there is no chance of progression, and you are relatively young, would you be happy on the same money when you are 55?
    Insert bike here:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    You spend so much time at work i think enjoyment is important

There is probably a point where the money will make up for not enjoying the job, but i would argue that a lot of the time it doesn't

personally i wouldn't stay in a job like that if it was only "reasonably" paid
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I think you'd know my answer to that question. For sure Im poorer than Ive been in a long time but loving every minute of building my own bike company.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    benpinnick wrote:
    I think you'd know my answer to that question. For sure Im poorer than Ive been in a long time but loving every minute of building my own bike company.

you got any jobs going then? :wink:

cheers for the replies guys.

I'm in a bit of debt as the business I owned with my brother didn't work out and we closed it down leaving me out of pocket. if I knuckled down I could probably pay that off by the end of the year. I have a mortgage, but for the moment I have tenants living there and the mortgage is sorted.

I worked out that I could earn the same as I do now doing around 10 days a month work freelance, however that obviously comes with no pension, sick pay, holiday pay etc.

But as I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm still tempted to just say "fark it" and move back to tenerife
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This depends. Do you work in public sector?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    a lot depends on your situation - happiness is important but so is having money. I wish I had a well paid job I hate rather than the poorly paid one I hate :lol:
  • welshkev
    This depends. Do you work in public sector?

no. I'd prob stick at it if I did as at least there's pay scales etc. I haven't had a proper pay rise in 6 years!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I'm in London for a 3 hour meeting with work. As soon as I'm done, I've got a trial for another job.

Smaller company, demotion, less money, less internal progression.

More riding time, less stress, bigger volume to put on my cv to open up opportunities elsewhere, something I would be more proud of.

Depends on your priorities I guess but I assume you're pretty old so have different priorities to me.
  • welshkev
    ste_t wrote:
    Depends on your priorities I guess but I assume you're pretty old so have different priorities to me.

how very dare you! :wink::lol:

just out of interest how old do you assume I am?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    36?
  • ste_t
    I'm sure I saw a pic of you and Northern Monkey and thought you were his dad. 57?
  • welshkev
    ste_t wrote:
    I'm sure I saw a pic of you and Northern Monkey and thought you were his dad. 57?

pahahaha. I think that must have been his dad as I'm definitely not 57 :lol:

damn, I'm going to have to start dying my hair now if I look that old :lol:
  • veronese68
    36?
    That's not old! You utter barsteward.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    36?
    That's not old! You utter barsteward.

Pesky's a whipper-snapper isn't he, only marginally older than GT :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pesky_jones
    Old enough to go fishing and come home with a catch :wink:
    arran77 wrote:
    Yup, we have sleep-overs. Well, GT plays computer games while I have a midnight snack with his mum. Well, she has a midnight snack, anyway.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I'm in a similar position. I earn enough to pay the bills etc. but I have no extra income as I'm paying off debts at the moment. I should have them settled in a year or so, and after that will be earning a nice bit of savings. I'm going to wait until then to see what I want to do.

I don't have enough spare time, but this is partially my own fault (other commitments). Things may change in the future though. I'd love to leave where I work, as I get annoyed here, but the money isn't bad, and I do have occasional good days.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,471
    A vaguely sensible reply is depends what the 'something else' is and can it pay the bills as well as keep you interested/happy. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side. Or can you take whatever skill you have and develop it into a related line of work or a better job with a different company etc?

Anyhow, I reckon you're an old f@rt as this sounds like a mid-life crisis :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    I'd certainly get any debts paid off before jumping ship. OK, not the mortgage but all the credit cards and other bits and bobs. Then build up a bit of a buffer before you do it.
    God, that sounds duller than a meeting of dullards in Dullsville. Here's a picture of old people enjoying themselves:
    DSC00094.jpg
    I'm the one on the horse.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Old enough to go fishing and come home with a catch :wink:
    arran77 wrote:
    Yup, we have sleep-overs. Well, GT plays computer games while I have a midnight snack with his mum. Well, she has a midnight snack, anyway.

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • welshkev
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Anyhow, I reckon you're an old f@rt as this sounds like a mid-life crisis :wink:

yeah, sounds about right :lol: but I think as someone mentioned earlier, would I still be happy doing this job at 55...fark no I wouldn't!!!

and as for boring, when I open my bikers B&B you can all have half price lodgings. except ste_t as he said I look 57 :wink::lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    welshkev wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

yeah, sounds about right :lol: but I think as someone mentioned earlier, would I still be happy doing this job at 55...fark no I wouldn't!!!

and as for boring, when I open my bikers B&B you can all have half price lodgings. except ste_t as he said I look 57 :wink::lol:

even mong?
  • pesky_jones
    matthew h wrote:
    even mong?
    :shock: :|:cry:

Loving the smilies today
  • ste_t
    welshkev wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm not paying full price gramps if I'm letting you share GT's mum
  • welshkev
    ste_t wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm not paying full price gramps if I'm letting you share GT's mum

Ok, but you can carry her to the ditch after. My back won't take it these days!