End of the line bike wise.....

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Hi folks.

Could do with some advice. I have for the most part completely stopped enjoying cycling. I still love the sport, watched Milan-San Remo for example but illness, time and injury have robbed me of any passion and I now see riding as a chore rather than fun. Cycling for me started back in the teens and like most I have had an on off relationship with the bike. In the mid to late 2000's cycling was a massive solace for me regards beating depression post divorce. I actually tried to take my own life in 2005, but recovered, came back from the brink after a spell in hospital and actually got better.

In the meantime, I am happy to admit I have blown a small fortune on bike kit, none of which I regret, as sold to buy to maintain cash flow and change. Taken the odd tumble with the worst being a car hitting me in 09, thus giving me ongoing but manageable back pain.

I do now however find myself at a strange juncture in so much I have come full circle. Last summer I trebled my income, met and incredible woman of which we aim to marry this year and I have relocated to Exeter buying a new house though I commute to Bristol as I only work 7 days in 14 in aviation and stay a couple of nights there too.

The question I ask is should I actually now sell my 6.9 Domane and bank what I can or let it fester in the garage. I simply have no drive nor verve to ride anymore due to life going in a different direction. The Domane was to a point the swan song purchase as I had convinced myself that I would still enjoy riding after taking 5 month off, but I dont.

Anyone else faced this decision ? I know it may sound bombastic but advice welcome. My gut instinct is to cash in, bank the money and see how I feel in a year or so as some time off the bike may actually be good, rather than forcing the issue....

Cheers.

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I can't see the point of keeping it if you are not going to ride it....
  • bristolpete
    I can't see the point of keeping it if you are not going to ride it....

I hear you.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    If you have no interest 'sell it' pointless taking up space if you've made your mind. Won't be too difficuly to buy a new bike in a few years if you feel the need, Enjoy what you're doing at the moment that's the main thing - good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you don't want to ride then you don't want to ride? Maybe join a new club or something and get into the social side (if you're not already)?
  • bristolpete
    If you have no interest 'sell it' pointless taking up space if you've made your mind. Won't be too difficuly to buy a new bike in a few years if you feel the need, Enjoy what you're doing at the moment that's the main thing - good luck

Yes, this is the real crux of it. So much to do and so little time. Furrowing the same path on the bike was great when I was single, depressed and getting better, but life has changed so much if that makes sense. Cannot fit it all in - in a good way.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    sounds like you're in a much better place, cycling will always be there as a mistress if you ever need her/decide to go back to her :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • People will say that you have answered your question, but I know that sometimes it helps to write these things down even if you already know the answer deep down.

FWIW I am going through a rough patch in my marriage and my wife has cited the amount of time I spend training and the amount of money I spend on gear as a reason for this which we are trying to rectify. There may be a more time that the bikes spend in the garage when the sun is shining but I really don't think I could part with them.

You say you still love the sport and you may reach another juncture in your life where you want to improve your fitness, take on a new challenge or share your love of riding with your new wife. I would hold on to it, after all it won't melt in some defiant protest if you ignore it for several months.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Yes, this is the real crux of it. So much to do and so little time. Furrowing the same path on the bike was great when I was single, depressed and getting better, but life has changed so much if that makes sense. Cannot fit it all in - in a good way.

I'm in the process of selling a hobby that I enjoy, but just don't have the time for any more. It's not an easy decision, but I can go back to it when more time becomes available. But for now it's pointless having the kit sat there - especially as it costs money to keep it and maintain it.

If you want the cash then sell it - if you don't and don't need the cash then perhaps not.

Eitherway you need to consider why you ride (rode) - For me it's a way of keeping fit and (for now) I enjoy the speed and achieving PBs on various segments on Strava - I can also ride with my wife - slower and far more social - and I often commute by bike which is nice as a release at the end of the day.
    There are days when I don't enjoy riding and just wonder why I'm doing it - usually on a commute when the weather is a bit iffy and I could be warm & dry in the car instead - but then remind myself that if I didn't put myself through those bits then I wouldn't appreciate it so much when it is warm & sunny and it's a joy to be on the road.
    If you can't pull any positives out now and don't want to then maybe it is time to hang up your cleats for now - perhaps try some social cycling with your partner instead ...
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I'm glad to hear things are going in a good direction for you.

Personally I would leave the bike in the shed (having dismantled it slightly) and see if the nice weather in the summer tempts you for another ride. Maybe a gentle tour with your missus, she might even want to go and watch TdF with you somewhere.

Failing that, sell it and buy two Kate Bush tickets.

Even worse, post the bike to me.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I'd say keep the bike.

If you don't feel like riding it, you're not 'letting it down' but it's always something you can do again even if as others say, you just take it for a spin.

I'm now 55, I've been through a few hobbies myself. I've been a photographer, a beekeeper, fly-fisherman, flown power-kites, and been into renewable energy. They are all things which i pick up occasionally and still take an interest in. Other than the bee stuff(*), I've never felt the need to sell all the kit I have, and I don't feel guilty about keeping it.

*Life has the odd ways of coming around again, I now keep bees as part of my job.

The older I get, the better I was.

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    If cycling is part of your life you're moving away from, specifically the divorce and depression, then why not draw a line under it and move on? I know this is a bit of amateur pyschology, but there is something refreshing and renewing about about ridding yourself of the material evidence of the past. If every time you see your bike and it draws you back to something you've moved on from, then its good to go.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I'd say wait until half way through summer and then sell the bike if you're really not happy.

There's no point having such an amazing bike not being used unless you don't mind maintaining it in the mean time and even if you do get back into cycling it might not even be the right kit for how you get back into cycling.

If you sell up now you might be able to get a reasonable value for it and then if you want to get something further down the line you can get something that fits your price range then.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And you have relocated to the bike capital of the known universe...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Depends if you need the money really? Having said that the 6.9 is an awesome bike and you may look upon it that it would be better off in the hands of someone who can appreciate it, rather than sitting in the garage doing nothing.

Perhaps you should sell it, but perhaps at the same time you should buy another bike, just a cheap one, which will sit in your garage, in pristine condition and who knows maybe that day will come when cycling comes calling once again, then it will be ready.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    As you ve asked...sell it, go with your gut instinct, there is no point flogging a dead horse and by the sound of things, you r in a position to buy another bike, should the fancy take you - if you ve had all this time off, then fitness would have gone and that can be hard to motivate yourself to get back.
    What about a 29 er HT, it completely reinvigorated my riding and they are such fun to fool around on and
    I am old :(
    Haldon is just down the road from you.
  • Strip it and sell the gruppo and wheels etc.

Box the frame up and put it in the attic. Then if you fancy going out again you could build it up in a weekend.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You've just tripled your income. You've relocated to a new area. Unless your previous job was in McDonalds, you don't need the heavily depreciated cash that you'll get from selling the Domane. On the other hand, if you have the bike, there's nothing to stop you from digging it out on on a future whim. In any case, the new location, opportunity for a new club riding on new roads might change everything. For me, simply joing a club rejuvenated my cycling. It doesn't have to take much.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    You can always buy another bike. I bet you keep the kit though as who would buy used cycle shorts!

You haven't said if the other half likes going out for a 'pootle' type ride on bridleways etc. If so maybe sell the road bike, get an entry level MTB for you and a hybrid for her. They don't nee dot be used often but I find it is always nice to have a bike about.

Saying that - there are also plenty of places to hire bikes for the day too!

So really it is never necessarily the end of the line bike-wise, even if you don't own one at that time.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I'm not in the same situation but I have a few grands worth of fishing gear in the garage and have thought several times would it be worth selling as I use it very little. However the boy is getting older and we go occasionaly and the cost to replace what I have would be far more than I'd get 2nd hand.

It's worth more to me dusty than it is in the bank but each to their own.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You haven't said if the other half likes going out for a 'pootle' type ride on bridleways etc. If so maybe sell the road bike, get an entry level MTB for you and a hybrid for her. They don't nee dot be used often but I find it is always nice to have a bike about..

Yup, that's what I meant about sell it and buy a cheaper bike. A MTB or hybrid would be ideal. It may not be amazing but if it's a nice warm summers day, just perfect for a little ride, why not :)
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Well since having a child I find I'm doing more fun miles on my pub bike than my best bike! It is nice for a change to ride slower and look around more. It is great to get away from the cars on off road trails too.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You haven't said if the other half likes going out for a 'pootle' type ride on bridleways etc. If so maybe sell the road bike, get an entry level MTB for you and a hybrid for her. They don't nee dot be used often but I find it is always nice to have a bike about..

Yup, that's what I meant about sell it and buy a cheaper bike. A MTB or hybrid would be ideal. It may not be amazing but if it's a nice warm summers day, just perfect for a little ride, why not :)

Good idea. Nice to have a decent hybrid in the garage that would cost about £250-£300 that can be used for trails, pub runs, etc. Might even be worth seeing if the other half fancies a few nice and easy family trails through woodlands (Tarka Trail), etc., and then you will rediscover just how pleasurable cycling can be without the hassle of Garmins, lycra and wall to wall suffering.
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101
    Whether you keep the Dogma or get another bike, I would keep a half-decent bike of some sort. In my case I cycled a lot up to my early thirties, but then I moved to London for 3 years and left my bike at my mother's. 12 years later it was in my garage and had rarely been touched - but I had a six year old who just learnt to ride without stabilisers and she begged me to take her out on the local cycle path. Dug the old bike out and 3 years later I am averaging over a 100 miles per week. Not a huge lot, but I am happier, fitter, slimmer (and poorer!) than I was and the wife really appreciates this.

Thing is I am not sure I would have done this if the old bike wasn't there ready to go.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    The bike is a natural stabilser and an anti depressant. How do you know your depression will return? Any exercise produces Serotonin and Adrenaline.
    If your experiencing pain, then a bit of gym work and possibly physio to help correct it and maybe you'll enjoy cycling again. Perhaps even a little glass cranking and a slow rehabilitation.
    Continuity is so important because if you don't keep iy up, then you are constantly having to go through the painful cycle of getting back into some sort of condition (even if that condition is low level). That isn't much fun.
    Take it from me; 3 hip replacement operations, 300 hours of chemo, and a bone marrow transplant, continuity has been very difficult but I have kept it up and gone through more pain barriers than one could imagine.
    Now I do not think I would be sane without cycling. In fact, if I don't get out on the bike for one reason or another, I go a bit bonkers.
    Next step - The Marmotte... Get yourself a goal.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i fell off my bike once, did i ever tell you?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Mikey23 wrote:

Yes, that's because you got to the end of the road - it was a cul-de-sac. This is somewhat different.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:

Were you wearing your helmet?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pina makes some good points. But...
    I have been in a similar position before where riding is the last thing I want to do. Depression can be like that. One year my road bike never left the shed. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it though.
    I am glad I kept it, as it now gets a few more outings.
    Take the wheels off, wrap it in an old blanket and stick in in the attic or back of the garage. If within a given space of time you haven't ridden it, or had the inclination to ride it, sell it.
    It is after all an object that should bring joy, and if you are not getting that from your bike, someone else might.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Pina makes some good points. But...
    I have been in a similar position before where riding is the last thing I want to do. Depression can be like that. One year my road bike never left the shed. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it though.
    I am glad I kept it, as it now gets a few more outings.
    Take the wheels off, wrap it in an old blanket and stick in in the attic or back of the garage. If within a given space of time you haven't ridden it, or had the inclination to ride it, sell it.
    It is after all an object that should bring joy, and if you are not getting that from your bike, someone else might.

Depression is like that.

I found that when I was lowest and not motivated with anything in life the effort of riding was too much to contemplate. The way round it for me was to not set myself up for a big ride but simply try and get out on the bike even if it was only going to be for a mile or two, once I was out it was often easier then to just ride a little further.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    How does your wife-to-be feel about cycling?
    Purveyor of "up" :)