If you're looking for one of those Lidl bike stands...

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Chichester had a reasonable stock of them this morning.

You could get in on a bike if you strapped it to the top tube and cycled bow legged ;) - I wouldn't want to free carry it - too heavy for that.

I got the chain cleaner too - £3.99 - removes my excuses for not cleaning chain as frequently ... ;)
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Mine fitted nicely on the seat......…........ in the car :)
    South Shields (Laygate store) had around eight at 8:15 this morning and nobody but me in the store.
    There's also a store in Boldon Lane, about a mile down the road, just in case anyone lives nearby and doesn't know
  • carchie86
    carchie86 Posts: 32
    Looks good and I could be tempted to get myself one, however would it be any good for my Giant Carbon Road Bike? The top tube is obviously carbon and not round and the seat post is again carbon but a slightly aero shape in that it is kind of a slim rectangle with rounded edges. So would the stand be able to grip my bike without damaging any parts of it?

The link below will give you a better idea ofthe shapes of the bike.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 825/56725/

Thanks, Chris
  • slowbike
    the clamp rotates - so clamp to the seat tube ...
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I got an identical one off Amazon last week for £31, only the clamps are red not blue, which means my stand goes faster.
    The clamps work ok on my semi-square section canyon carbon frame, only don't clamp it stupidly tight as you don't need to. It holds it securely enough to clean bike, chain, index gears, whip off the wheels and all the usual tinkering stuff.
  • carchie86 wrote:
    Looks good and I could be tempted to get myself one, however would it be any good for my Giant Carbon Road Bike? The top tube is obviously carbon and not round and the seat post is again carbon but a slightly aero shape in that it is kind of a slim rectangle with rounded edges. So would the stand be able to grip my bike without damaging any parts of it?

Thanks, Chris

If the seat tube will take it buy a cheap alloy post (or a piece of pipe) pop that in and clamp to that instead - you would need a solution like that for any stand unless you get one of the ones that hold the bottom bracket area (not sure how good those are for carbon though)
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I picked one up this morning, looks a quality bit of kit.
    Insert bike here:
  • snappygear wrote:
    vertigo16 wrote:
    You can get the same thing delivered from eBay for pretty much exactly the same price - I'm very happy with mine I have to say. I'd replace it with exactly the same if mine were to get lost.

Got a link for the eBay ones? I'll be popping in my local Lidl's, but I've never got lucky with regards to them having the good stuff on stock!

Rob

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 29&afsrc=1

These are pretty much identical except for the quick release lever on the clamp looks like metal on these whereas my Lidl one has blue plastic
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    carchie86 wrote:

Thanks, Chris

Never EVER grip a bike by a frame tube. Seat posts are made to be clamed, thin walled frames are not.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Just picked one up from the Woodgrange Drive branch in Southend on Sea and there were at least twenty left on the pallet. Pleasant surprise As I normally miss out on these deals as I start work before they open and I can't get to a branch before late-ish afternoon. Haven't set it up yet but it certainly seems a very sturdy piece of kit. Also they had a bike tool kit knocked down from £29.99 to £14.99 which was far too good a price to ignore.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Bought one this morning in Rochdale. They had about 20 left.

I have tried it and so far I can not fault it. It is a sturdy bit of kit. Excellent value.
  • snappygear
    snappygear Posts: 212
    Got one from March store this morning at 8am. They had a pallet full of them!

Rob
  • Got one from the kings lynn store

Have review it here with pics

Hope it helps

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12959391&p=18811717#p18811717
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^I see you tested the top tube clamping on your 'dale :wink:
    (I would say it looks lovely but since we're in road then ---- BURN THE HERETIC!).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Got one from Clapham Junction then tracked it all over Balham. The ride back on the Dutch bike from the station to my house was a bit of a larf...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bought mine from Sleaford this afternoon, again, they had a pallet full!

Very impressed with the quality for under £30! Bargain!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I will have to go and take a look at one of these in the flesh as I'm not sure the seat post on my S5 will go into the clamp as its a tear drop shape and not round.

They do look good for the money though.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Got one from Clapham Junction. Loads in stock this evening.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Sent the wife to the Chessington branch, supposedly loads available this afternoon. Yet to build it though as got dragged to pub.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Upperoilcan, let us know if you do please, Lildl is miles from me to gamble :) Not got the same bike but have the giant vector seat post
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • cookie56
    cookie56 Posts: 19
    edited April 2014
    Duplicate post -oops
  • cookie56
    cookie56 Posts: 19
    ben----- wrote:
    How big is it when boxed roughly? Carry-able on a bike do you reckon?
    Don't think it would be wise it's long and pretty heavy
    Agree - 4ft x4" square but quite a weight
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    There must have been 30 odd in Clapham Junction, I think they got a job lot in after last time

Used it this evening to change some gears and brake pads and do all the setting up. It's as good as any bike stand I ve ever used (all 2 of them...). The 4 legs in particular are much better than the usual tripod arrangement you get on cheaper stands and the tool tray is a useful addition, but does harm the storage slightly. It goes together easily, is solid and folds up into a reasonable size to put it in a garage corner or whathaveyou

The clamp is soft but not rubber, I'd be a bit concerned on a superlight carbon frame but it's good enough if you re careful. It holds the frame securely enough without too much pressure. You have to unscrew a knob to rotate the clamp (ie it's not QR - unlike all the other clamps for some reason - that's my only complaint so far.

For 30 squids it's an absolute bargin!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Upperoilcan, let us know if you do please, Lildl is miles from me to gamble :) Not got the same bike but have the giant vector seat post

Market research completed ! :D

3d3e852efc54406c615fd3dffe2e887f_zps2220688e.jpg

For £30:00 quid its a steal !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • slowbike
    sa0u823e wrote:

looks like you could hang your washing on it too ... ;)
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    sa0u823e wrote:

forget the stand im loving your bike :D
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    rob21 wrote:
    forget the stand im loving your bike :D

I'd love it enough to treat it to a Park Stand.... :oops:

I picked one up too. It seems to be matched to my Allez. :lol:
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Just picked one up from Cottingham - only five or six left.
    Impressed - sturdy, good quality and way better than the POS I was using !

1967 Engine
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Cheers Upper, sent the better half to get one as she comes home from shopping :)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Just picked one up from Tonbridge, they have about 15 left.