Nomad build - Moved to My mountain bikes

Tactica
Tactica Posts: 70
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Moved to my mountain bikes:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've demo'd the Pivot M4 (more times than I should) and M5 (once) and have to say if the M6 is anything like as controlled it would jump straight to number1 in my list, the rear just felt so controlled it was like riding a hardtail but with the back wheel on nearly smooth tarmac...simply awesome!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Mondraker dune XR is available frame only too.

A lot of people like santa cruz suspension (VPP) but go try it before laying out a load. i rode the Nomad which many people love, and it was a great bike pedaled well just didnt suck up the bumps on fast decents like my final choice did.

Should be a mondraker test day down at afan first weekend in April i think.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    If you haven't seen these then here's few reviews of some of your choices that stuck out in my mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mXDmm6SLfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWMgTHHAglw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpefrivcD38

I think they cover a few more in your list, too.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    New Santa Cruz Nomad will be launched in a few days time, so that might be worth a look. Wasn't hugely impressed by the Bronson, was a good bike, but certainly didn't blow me away. The Mach 6 looks like a great option, a little too much travel for my liking, but the DW-Link rear end is excellent.
  • Tactica
    I will indeed wait for the 650b Nomad announcement. And thanks for those video links. Had watched them. God damn I would love to take a chance with that Evil Uprising, but with their history it just feels too much of a risk. Also, that rear suspension design - regardless of its ingenuity - looks like a rear hassle to maintain.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Tactica wrote:
    And thanks for those video links. Had watched them. God damn I would love to take a chance with that Evil Uprising, but with their history it just feels too much of a risk. Also, that rear suspension design - regardless of its ingenuity - looks like a rear hassle to maintain.

What about the Kona Process? They absolutely rave about that (check out the vid if you haven't seen it) and everything good they say about it is down to the frame which, apparently, you can get sans kit. And, given that the current frames have a little 'A' on them just after the '134', it suggests there's a 'C' on the way at some point if that's a priority.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Tactica
    Tactica wrote:
    And thanks for those video links. Had watched them. God damn I would love to take a chance with that Evil Uprising, but with their history it just feels too much of a risk. Also, that rear suspension design - regardless of its ingenuity - looks like a rear hassle to maintain.

What about the Kona Process? They absolutely rave about that (check out the vid if you haven't seen it) and everything good they say about it is down to the frame which, apparently, you can get sans kit. And, given that the current frames have a little 'A' on them just after the '134', it suggests there's a 'C' on the way at some point if that's a priority.
    The frame does not have to be carbon, but I'd like to shave some weight. I'll take a look at the Kona.
  • lawman
    Tactica wrote:
    God damn I would love to take a chance with that Evil Uprising, but with their history it just feels too much of a risk. Also, that rear suspension design - regardless of its ingenuity - looks like a rear hassle to maintain.

Likewise. I've loved the Evil brand for a long time, I rode the original Sovereign hardtail years back and absolutely loved it, so when they showed off the Sect prototype, an aluminium predecessor to the Uprising, I couldn't wait to try one, hell if it'd be released I probably would've got one instead of my Mojo HD. The issues they've had though with frames and warranty and the complicated suspension system and the shocking mud clearance on the Uprising means I simply wouldn't want to splash my own cash on one, cos while they're very competitive on price compared to Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot etc, it's still a whole lotta cash to blow on a frame that might not go the distance. I guess they're a little like Alfa Romeo, you'd love to own one, but you'd have to be mad to!
  • Tactica
    lawman wrote:
    Tactica wrote:
    God damn I would love to take a chance with that Evil Uprising, but with their history it just feels too much of a risk. Also, that rear suspension design - regardless of its ingenuity - looks like a rear hassle to maintain.

Likewise. I've loved the Evil brand for a long time, I rode the original Sovereign hardtail years back and absolutely loved it, so when they showed off the Sect prototype, an aluminium predecessor to the Uprising, I couldn't wait to try one, hell if it'd be released I probably would've got one instead of my Mojo HD. The issues they've had though with frames and warranty and the complicated suspension system and the shocking mud clearance on the Uprising means I simply wouldn't want to splash my own cash on one, cos while they're very competitive on price compared to Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot etc, it's still a whole lotta cash to blow on a frame that might not go the distance. I guess they're a little like Alfa Romeo, you'd love to own one, but you'd have to be mad to!

Completely agreed. And it would still be 26" so I wouldn't dish out money for new rims or wheels. Even my current dropper post would fit.

I read somewhere that they are revising the rear triangle to fit 650b and take care of the mud clearance for 2014. Silverfish.co.uk still shows the frame without the Fox Float X and Evils own website is useless. That is no way to do business as a startup. Shame, to be honest.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Transition covert? I absolutely loved mine, sadly it was far too much bike for me and my lack of ability. but really well made, climbs well and is stunning back down!
  • Tactica
    While waiting for the Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon 650b announcement to make a real final short list, I started to look at possible wheels. I currently have the following setup:

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo
    Rims: Stans No Tubes ZTR Arch Ex 26"
    Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp
    Nipples: Brass
    Nipple count: 32

While these are tried and true, I'm not happy with the rear hub engagement of the Hopes.

Basically I think I have three options here.

Option 1: Build a new set of wheels with DT Swiss 240's or Chris King hubs and with Arch Ex 650b rims, which would cost me about a 1000 euros. These would actually be quite light compared to the other options. The question is, if it would be optimal to build these with Sapim CX-Ray spokes? With 32 spokes per wheel and a slighlty larger rim diameter of 650b there is ~100 grams to be saved with spokes only of the wheelset.

Option 2: Get the factory set of Industry Nine Enduro 650b and be done with it. Would cost me about 1100-1300 euros, so the most expensive set here.

Option 3: Get the factory set of Mavic CrossMax Enduro 650b and be done with it. I'm unsure if there is an XD-free hub option for 11-speed X01? I have also Owned a Mavic. These are the cheapest. Would cost me around 800 euros and I get tires too. Not that light, and I used to have a pair of Mavics UST CrossTrail wheels which I had tons of issues with leakages.

Opinions?
  • Tactica
    Russyh wrote:
    Transition covert? I absolutely loved mine, sadly it was far too much bike for me and my lack of ability. but really well made, climbs well and is stunning back down!
    Had a look. Solid option, but they only offer 27,5" Covert in aluminium. Would not like to get one and see them announce a carbon version in the coming months - which they surely will as they have it in carbon with the 26" model.
  • If I was in your position I would probably opt for the Industry Nine wheel set. Although a custom built set with Chris Kings would also be tempting.
    James
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Transition carbon covert!

My aluminium covert is brilliant, climbs surprisingly well and feels like a monster truck on technical descents
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Just seen someone already suggested the Covert

I'd also look the Intense Tracer T275
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/intense-trac ... -2014.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    lawman wrote:
    The Mach 6 looks like a great option, a little too much travel for my liking, but the DW-Link rear end is excellent.
    So try the Mach5!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tactica
    If I was in your position I would probably opt for the Industry Nine wheel set. Although a custom built set with Chris Kings would also be tempting.
    James
    Just noticed that Chris King still doesn't have XD free hubs, so at least in the rear something else is required. After more digging around manufacturers sites and reading reviews, it yet again seems that there is no clear winner regarding wheels.

Industry Nine has an awesome rear with near-instant engagement, but their complete Enduro wheelsets are heavier and more expensive than a similar custom build. I do like the 26 mm internal rim width a alot, but they are also "ghetto UST" which I've had issues with in the past.

Mavic CrossMax Enduros are true UST, but all those propriatary elements like spoke wrench and custom spokes make them harder to maintain. Also heavyish for their price. The rear rim width at internal 19 mm seems too narrow.

Custom option with DT Swiss 240s's, Sapim CX Rays and Arch EX's still sounds best to me. Some shared issues with the factory sets, but should be lighter than i9 and Mavic.

I wish I could make myself buy those DT Swiss + Enves...
  • Tactica
    Got some more money by selling my old frame with CCDB Coil and Reverb dropper and had another look at those sweet Enve rim builds... Can you believe that in EUR those Enve 27,5 AM Clinchers with DT Swiss 240s' and Sapim CX-rays would cost 2600 €. That is 3700 USD. Nope. Just can't do that. Starting to lean towards Mavics Crossmax Enduro WST. Might have to change those tires though, they are almost a kilo a piece, plus I want to try Schwalbes Rock Razor at the back with Hans Dampf in the front.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Sounds like more of an all mountain build than an enduro build.
  • Tactica
    160mm travel seems to be quite the norm these days in European Enduro. When you can achieve sub 13 kg builds with AM quality and streghth components, I don't care. A build like the one I'm trying to create here, is not the best in any specific trait, but will be good to very good in everything. That is good enough for me.
  • lawman
    Tactica wrote:
    160mm travel seems to be quite the norm these days in European Enduro. When you can achieve sub 13 kg builds with AM quality and streghth components, I don't care. A build like the one I'm trying to create here, is not the best in any specific trait, but will be good to very good in everything. That is good enough for me.

There is feck all difference between most "AM" and "Enduro" products, only the marketing BS that goes with it. I normally defend tags for different disciplines, but enduro/am are no different. Enduro is just the name given to racing do it all bikes, IMO that's the best part about enduro, you can do it on pretty much any decent 130-170mm bike comfortably and don't need a specific rig to do it.

IMO ignore the BS marketing tags and get the components/bike that best fits your needs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's all about enduro now. Nothing else matters.
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Whats- ... king2.html
  • Tactica
    It's all about enduro now. Nothing else matters.
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Whats- ... king2.html
    :mrgreen: That is hilarious, and in some ways so true. Still, I have no issues with 26" wheels, but it seems I must accept the new 650b standard to get a good frame in the future.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Tactica wrote:
    Maybe you missed my sarcasm :wink:
  • Tactica
    Just spoke to my lbs about this frame...it's ON!
    nomad-3c-34-black.png
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    It's wierd how well that photo blends into the comment background.
  • Tactica
    It's wierd how well that photo blends into the comment background.
    It's an .png image with an opacity layer straight form SC's site.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    That bike is stunning!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    with the VPP it wouldn't be my first choice.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Test ride it first