36 spoke disc specifc rims

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Any ideas?

I'm sick of the whole spoke breaking thing now and reckon I should just get new rims and move the hope hubs over. As above I'd like some disc specific rims that do not have the braking surface on them (for purely aesthetic purposes obviously) so if anyone has any recommendations (and where to get them from) it'd be appreciated.

Oh and suitable good spokes (CX bike remember)

There's good LBS in the village so I can get him to build the wheels if I get him the parts
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Have you tried Hope straight pull hubs?

The spokes seem to brake less often and because they are straight, they are a piece of you rine to put in.
  • Not quite disk specific, but the H Plus Son Archetype rims are superb and have an anodised rim brake surface which just wouldn't wear away under braking. Light, strong and wider than normal rims which make them more comfortable. Also look the mutt's nuts.

As for spokes, Sapim Race are a good bet. Nice and strong, long lasting and relatively light. You'd be better off getting your wheel-builder to tell you the lengths he'd prefer before you buy them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Not quite disk specific, but the H Plus Son Archetype rims are superb and have an anodised rim brake surface which just wouldn't wear away under braking. Light, strong and wider than normal rims which make them more comfortable. Also look the mutt's nuts.

As for spokes, Sapim Race are a good bet. Nice and strong, long lasting and relatively light. You'd be better off getting your wheel-builder to tell you the lengths he'd prefer before you buy them.

I was going to say the same, have just had a pair of XC wheels made up with these Archetype rims on Shimano XT hubs, using Sapim like spokes (double butted 2mm-1.8mm-2mm stainless steel).

But why are your spokes breaking? If its due to the wheel build then who built them? If it was your LBS then I don't think having another set made up would help much.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Kieran_Burns
    drlodge wrote:
    Not quite disk specific, but the H Plus Son Archetype rims are superb and have an anodised rim brake surface which just wouldn't wear away under braking. Light, strong and wider than normal rims which make them more comfortable. Also look the mutt's nuts.

I was going to say the same, have just had a pair of XC wheels made up with these Archetype rims on Shimano XT hubs, using Sapim like spokes (double butted 2mm-1.8mm-2mm stainless steel).

But why are your spokes breaking? If its due to the wheel build then who built them? If it was your LBS then I don't think having another set made up would help much.

JE James did the originals and they've been a bit crap all the time but I didn't use them much for a few months.

I'm going to have to dig out what the original rims were (I think Mavics)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973

Had these built up on an XT hub and they've been great so far
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm running 28C GP 4Seasons at the moment. I assume they will be okay on the new rims?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Another vote for Hplusson archetypes. I've two pairs, one on hope pro3 and one on hope RS.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • drlodge
    28C GP 4Seasons will be just fine on Archetype (or any other 700c) rim. The Archetypes are a slightly wider rim than standard, supposedly it gives a better feeling to the ride since the tyre is no longer a "balloon" profile but more a semi-circular. I've fitted Vittoria Randdoneur Pro 32c to my CX wheels, since I'll use it on-road and mild-off road.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Kieran_Burns
    Excellent and only £55 each ... just need to work out what the spoke length is for the Hope Pro IIs I have.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • drlodge
    You could ask Ugo...he built mine.
    Find me on Strava
  • Or ask the guy who's going to build them.
  • cyclingprop
    Ugo or just riding along will be able to help you out.
  • I'm on Halo Aerotrack 32 holes, been great so far and look better that Hsons. the black ones have a painted brake track.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • drlodge
    Painted brake track isn't a problem if you have disc brakes ;-)
    Find me on Strava
  • I'm on Halo Aerotrack 32 holes, been great so far and look better that Hsons.
    Objection, Your Honour. This is both subjective and very, very wrong.
  • Kieran_Burns

Weird. that's the web-site I've found and am sending an email to at the moment :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I'm on Halo Aerotrack 32 holes, been great so far and look better that Hsons.
    Objection, Your Honour. This is both subjective and very, very wrong.

I agree but personally I prefer looking like I didn't buy a 29er rim by mistake and then have someone attack it with tippex.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • cyclingprop

Weird. that's the web-site I've found and am sending an email to at the moment :)

They're good and reasonably priced.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just got a laugh out loud response :)

Kieran,
    If it's 36h then I assume it's built for strength - go for Sapim Race in black, 3-cross pattern. I would use these lengths (left/right) but if it's wrong don't blame me, you should check them....

Pro 2 Evo front 36h 3X 283 285
    Pro 2 Evo rear 36h 3X 284 283
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Can't say as I blame the guy. I'd hate to give out spoke lengths - some swine will always come back and complain.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I asked if he would build but they have a 2 week lead time :(
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I asked if he would build but they have a 2 week lead time :(
    That's hardly surprising this time of year - bonuses and the clocks changing probably make it the busiest time.
  • drlodge
    Personally I would leave spoke length, and to some degree spoke choice, up to the person who's gonna build them for me. I would expect anyone who is building wheels to have spokes. Harry Rowland has a shed full, I dread to think how many hundred spokes are sitting in boxes under his worktop!

Where are you based Kieran?

[EDIT: Ah Derbyish neck of the woods...]
    Find me on Strava
  • Kieran_Burns
    Slightly embarrassed to find that that the wheels are 32 hole not 36 like I assumed... rapidly asking for a new quote from my LBS
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • drlodge
    Slightly embarrassed to find that that the wheels are 32 hole not 36 like I assumed... rapidly asking for a new quote from my LBS

:oops: I doubt the price would change.
    Find me on Strava
  • I would ask if they could do solid discs instead of spokes with the luck you have been having :wink::lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Kieran_Burns
    I would ask if they could do solid discs instead of spokes with the luck you have been having :wink::lol:

Fanks.

Any strange ticking parcels you may receive in the post are purely coincidental...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    I was going to say Ritchey OCR disc wheels (been good on my Boardman for 4 1/2 years), but then I counted the spokes and they've only got 32 - doh.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    For 32 You need 286 FL and 288 FR
    Your need 287 rear L and R, or if you can't find 287, you do 288 L and 286 R
    left the forum March 2023
  • Kieran_Burns
    For 32 You need 286 FL and 288 FR
    Your need 287 rear L and R, or if you can't find 287, you do 288 L and 286 R

Are you the Spoke God?

Or is that God has spoken...?

IGMC... :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X