Not Another Mega TR... Update On Page 3

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Nice video mate, also loving the pink gloves!! haha

Looks like the bike is riding well!! :)

Cheers. I started wearing the pink gloves when my mum got breast cancer last year to show a little support and I just never stopped. Also got a couple of pink bits on the bike as well.
    I am kinda surprised how smooth the trails at Glentress look in that video - what is the rating on the run?

Most of the runs are unmarked, ungraded trails but the ones that are graded are red and black. One of the blacks is only a new link trail though replacing the old Ewok Village and The B!tch (the last couple of clips) is one of the few true blacks at Glentress but more due to the steepness and loose nature (the bit at the fence used to be a proper scree slope). Obviously the video takes out some of the roughness but in the video the trails are either slow and steep or fast with big holes so no obvious roughness to be shown in the video. The video barely shows any of what Glentress has to offer, just part of my usual favourite short loop.
  • peter413
    Another little video showing some of the trails around Innerleithen http://www.pinkbike.com/video/370196/.
  • peter413
    Finally heard back from Bike-Discount about the Lev and I'm getting a refund. Can't really complain at that when the warranty ends next month :)

Now just need to decide between another Lev or a Thomson Elite Covert. The time it takes for the Thomson to become available will play a role but that's the one I'm leaning towards right now. Was never that impressed by the clamp on the Lev and it's not been the most reliable for me. I know that's just bad luck but it's still putting me off getting another one.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Got a Lev Integra on the way for my Bronson - bargain price - one of the perks of being a bike park employee!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • peter413
    The Lev is a fair bit cheaper than the Thomson but I'm wary of getting another after this one failed so much. Just had an email from the distributor about the Thomsonand they're hoping to have them within the next 2 weeks so if that's the case I'll be going for one of them.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am paying $270 for mine which equates to £160 or so - couldn't get a deal on the Thompson or Fox and the company I can order through doesnt stock 100mm Reverbs so Lev for me. Still stealth set up and like the simplisity of the cable actuation for removal and refitting.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • peter413
    The wait is finally over. Postie just delivered a nice big box containing this littler box:

p4pb11323583.jpg
    p4pb11323584.jpg

It's a lovely looking thing and very nicely packaged. Feels very well built but so it should for £300. Not sure why it needs an o ring on the stanchion like a fork or shock has. It also included the cable guide as if it was an external post but it's a Covert and it's definitely the right remote so I don't know what's up with that. Also only included one length of cable when I think the external posts include two but I'm replacing it anyway, the cable weighs a tonne and I'm wanting red anyway. I do like the little touches like the angle markings for the clamp:

p4pb11323586.jpg

Super quick service from Westbrook Cycles, they next day delivered it for no extra charge without me asking so only a 2 day wait for it. Can't wait to get it fitted and go ride with it now, really missed having a button on the bars.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Be interested to hear how you get on with the Thomson.

I got rid of my reverb for a normal Thomson seat post and don't really miss the dropper for most of my riding. But there are occasions when i could do with getting the seat a little lower.

Im therefore considering a Thomson dropper at some point in the future.
  • peter413
    First impressions are very good. It's smoother than any Reverb I have used, the remote is even better than the KS which was my previous favourite (I don't like all these under the bar remotes like the Southpaw and the Reverb) and there is absolutely no play anywhere. It should end up being cheaper as well if it doesn't need serviced for two years when a Reverb service costs £80 and the Lev was only £20 but needed done every 4-6 months with the amount I ride. Of course my Lev was dodgy so that may not be accurate but it still needs done.

p4pb11324074.jpg
    p4pb11324075.jpg

The remote is very nicely made. It's a little stiff to push but it also springs back very quickly and strongly, something the KS failed to do meaning the lever didn't quite return to where it should. It really does make the KS feel like a £1 toy in comparison. The cable is very nicely tucked away and, unlike one of the reviews states, is perfectly suited for a cable crimp to be fitted.

p4pb11324076.jpg
    p4pb11324077.jpg

Something I have noticed is that the height from the top of the moving part/stanchion to the clamp is much taller than other posts I've used so might not be as suited to smaller riders. It might only be an extra 10mm or so but that can be the difference between perfect and too tall for some. This obviously causes no issues for me but it's something to keep in mind if you are a bit smaller and riding a bigger frame as is fairly common nowadays. Only other thing to complain about right now is that it still isn't all black so the Reverb and Lev have that in their favour although I'm not sure the Lev Integra is all black yet.

Overall the installation wasn't too bad. As long as you have a bit of patience you shouldn't have any issues. It took a few attempts to get the cable to the right length. First time I cut it, the cable had slipped out of the post but I obviously couldn't see this so I cut it too short. I found installing the inner cable at the same time kept the outer where it should be meaning I could mark the cable then take the inner out and cut. The inner cable was very easy to instal, no measuring the exposed cable like with the Lev. You just slide it through the remote, tighten the grub screw then snip the excess off so you can fit a crimp and tuck it neatly into the lever. The clamp for the rails was a little fiddlier than others due to it being slightly larger so caught on the side of the saddle meaning the top had to be completely removed then fitted back on instead of just slipping the rails through with the bolts in place as with other posts. It didn't bother me but the included instructions were for the external post so useless for the Covert except for the usual warnings of not to jet wash or use degreasers etc. There was a barrel adjuster included but I chose not to use this as the cable end is at the lever meaning it can be easily adjusted there. It was a nicely made bit of kit though with little teeth that locked the barrel in position meaning it would be harder to accidentally adjust it.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Sounds like you're really pleased with the Thomson. Over all, better than a Reverb? What's the weight like compared to a Reverb?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • peter413
    I personally hate the Reverb. It's delicate, the remote is awful, it's unnecessarily complicated with hydraulics and the service costs are insane. I'd never buy one hence me waiting for the Thomson. The Thomson weighs 527g and the remote weighs 14g plus some gear cable on top of that.

May have found a slight problem. The post moves up slightly over a period of time despite the cable not being too tight. Hoping it'll stop after a ride or that it really is only going to move slightly and won't continue. Maybe this is why they fit an o ring.
  • peter413
    Thankfully the post has stopped where it was overnight so I'm guessing it's normal. It's only about 3-4mm and I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the o ring being there.

I've emailed Thomson anyway so waiting to hear what they say but I'm not worried about it now.
  • peter413
    Another update on the post. Really can't fault Thomson's Customer Service. All emails were replied to within minutes and a solution was quickly found. The usual questions were asked making sure the cable wasn't too tight but when I explained I had left the cable loose to exclude that as a possibility he simply asked for my address so that he could send a new actuator (the red bit on the bottom). A week went by without it arriving (I-Ride were supposed to be sending it) so another quick email and was told that if I-Ride hadn't sent it yet then they would send one from America but two days later it popped through the letter box. I decided to try unscrewing the current actuator very slightly while waiting for the new one and this solved the problem completely so I haven't even bothered fitting the new one. This is my first Thomson product so I've never experienced their support before but it is easily one of the best I have ever experienced.

I finally got my first ride on the post on Saturday and I'm even more impressed with it now. The remote feels even better out on the trail, the return speed is perfect (as fast as it can be without posing a threat to your gentlemen's area) and it is oh so smooth. Without a doubt I'd spend the extra on a Thomson over a Lev or Reverb again.

Also got another video with the GoPro: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/378466/. I forgot just how fast the Mega was until I was following Andrew on his Ragley and he was pedalling while I was having to brake to avoid hitting him. Was also good to see how we both ride the same trail in completely different ways.
  • peter413
    Figure it's about time I update the pictures and spec.

p4pb11443790.jpg
    p4pb11443795.jpg
    p4pb11443798.jpg
    I love the XTR calipers.

The spec as pictured is:

Frame: Nukeproof Mega TR Large
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 with the middle air volume reducer.
    Forks: Rockshox Pike RCT3 160mm
    Bars: Race Face Sixc 785mm
    Stem: Funn Funnduro 45mm
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 Upper/Hope Lower
    Grips: ESI Chunky

Front Brake Lever: Shimano XTR Trail M988
    Front Brake Caliper: Shimano Saint M820
    Front disc: Ashima Airotor 180mm
    Rear Brake Lever: Shimano XTR Trail M988
    Rear Brake Caliper: Shimano XTR Trail M988
    Rear Disc: Ashima Airotor 160mm
    Hoses: Superstar Red with Formula Banjo's

Shifter: Shimano XTR 10 Speed
    Cables: Shimano XTR/SP41
    Rear Mech: Shimano Zee (going to change to an XT at some point because the Zee is only just able to take up the chain slack)

Seat: Nukeproof
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite Covert
    Seat Post Clamp: Plant X Superlight Mk2

Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring: Blackspire Mono Veloce Narrow Wide 30t
    Chain: KMC X10
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Pedals: Shimano XT Trail/DMR Vault
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR

Front Rim: Stans Flow EX
    Front Spokes: Sapim Race
    Front Hub: Hope Pro II Evo
    Front Tyre: Specialized Butcher Control

Rear Rim: Stans Flow EX
    Rear Spokes: Sapim Race
    Rear Hub: Hope Pro II Evo
    Rear Tyre: Specialized Butcher Control

Weight: 30.25 lbs as pictured. 30.0 lbs without the Mucky Nutz and with the Crossmark on the back. Flats add about 0.05 lbs.

p4pb11443779.jpg

I'm sure some of you realised I wasn't a fan of the cable routing for the dropper post. Well that's changed with the Stealth post. This bike has some of the easiest and best cable routing I've experienced. Nothing interferes, nothing rubs, it's easy to fit and it just works.

p4pb11443800.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Those red cables though... Bleargh
    Nice bike otherwise :D
  • peter413
    Coloured cables/hoses do seem to split opinions. I like them though. They didn't add any cost either so there was no reason for me not to go for them since I like them.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm very much not a fan of those red hoses, but to each their own. The bike looks awesome otherwise!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Nice bike only criticism being the color of the mucky nuts guard maybe black yellow or red one instead.
  • peter413
    Nice bike only criticism being the color of the mucky nuts guard maybe black yellow or red one instead.

Thing is I've got another 3 XL's to go through and a normal one when this breaks. Got them for like £3 each a while back so not switching for another colour. They're fugly no matter what the colour is anyway.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Great looking bike.........apart from the red bits :shock:

Got to agree, the cable route for a stealth dropper is great. Thomson looks excellent.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice apart from the red bits!
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Something tells me everyone doesnt like the red cables :P haha!!
  • peter413
    I like them and that's all that matters. Makes it stand out a bit compared to every other Mega out there and all black bikes just look boring.
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    peter413 wrote:
    I like them and that's all that matters. Makes it stand out a bit compared to every other Mega out there and all black bikes just look boring.

Thats the idea pal!!
    Aslong as you like it who cares! :D

Not everyone likes my Trek, even less so when i get the new wheels for xmas with the purple hubs haha!!
  • Dawesy92 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Thats the idea pal!!
    Aslong as you like it who cares! :D

Not everyone likes my Trek, even less so when i get the new wheels for xmas with the purple hubs haha!!
    Nothing wrong with your Remedy and a bit of purple.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ilovedirt
    peter413 wrote:
    Aye that's it!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    Not much to update on this. Really the only update is I've just replaced the Nukeproof saddle with an SDG Circuit MTN Ti.

p4pb11676646.jpg

Seems a little comfier than the Nukeproof and is a whopping 30g lighter :lol: . Maybe now I'll stop getting people telling me I should be running the rest of the Nukeproof finishing kit or trying to sell me their old Nukeproof bars and pedals.

Other little update is I've replaced the Zee rear mech with an XT. The Zee's cage was a little short to properly take up the extra chain slap in the smallest cog.
  • ilovedirt
    Really? First thing I did was get rid of the nukeproof bars and stem. Too narrow and short (respectively) for a bike like this.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    I've never been impressed by most Nukeproof kit. The saddle's I liked but that's about it. No way am I giving up my Sixc's for some horrible, heavy Nukeproof's.

What length and width comes stock then? The bars are normally 800 or 760 IIRC and a short stem makes sense on these IMO.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm not sure, 760 I think, and the stem was something like 60/70mm? It's only a bit off, and wouldn't be amiss on a more 'xc' trail bike, but this thing is sort of marketed as more of a short travel gravity pinner, so it doesn't make much sense to stick anything other than a super short stem and wide bars on IMO, especially as the thing is so damn long anyway.
    I do quite like the look of the Nukeproof stuff mind...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5