Carlton Kirby

Comments

• Is this game akin to not hearing Wham! in December?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Haven't been able to watch much, but the commentators on the MTB cross country and para TT have been good so far. IMO
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Boing
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I think the Tour of Turkey is a race too far for Kirby, he's barely dialling it in.

On today's stage he didn't even attempt to identify the stage winner, such was his focus on Lutsenko.
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited October 2023

Dan Lloyd - and I mean this in a very positive way - is the one member of the Eurosport crew that would slot in to Test Match Special during a test match (most of the others, to be fair, would be okay in the Twenty20 stuff)

Further to my earlier assertion that "Carlton Kirby is the best" - Apologies to Rob Hatch for being a bit harsh. I'm warming to him.
    Totally agree with the above quote regarding Dan Lloyd doing Test Match Special.
    Can we have Dan doing a bit on the cricket and Jonathon Agnew guiding us through the Alps on the TDF?
  • Rob Hatch on The Cycling Podcast recently referenced the "feedback" he gets about hyperbole and pronunciation.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited October 2023

Rob Hatch on The Cycling Podcast recently referenced the "feedback" he gets about hyperbole and pronunciation.

@takethehighroad what did it comprise of?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,367

Rob Hatch on The Cycling Podcast recently referenced the "feedback" he gets about hyperbole and pronunciation.

Link please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    pinno said:

Link please.
    https://thecyclingpodcast.com/
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

And what did it comprise of?
    "It's feedback for the ages"
    Post of the year. Or top 3 for sure.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m. said:

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

And what did it comprise of?
    "It's feedback for the ages"
    Post of the year. Or top 3 for sure.
    We'll be talking about that post in years to come. A post that will go down in history.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    I was actually being serious, but I also knew this would ensue. 😂
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pinno
    Pross will go down in the history books. Veni vidi vici.
  • pinno
    edited October 2023
    andyp said:

pinno said:

Link please.
    https://thecyclingpodcast.com/
    Ta.

Okay, which podcast?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Rob Hatch was on the most recent episode. Though I didn't catch that particular reference.

As an aside, journalists get paid by the word, right? Is that why Birnie and Friebe to the max waffle on and on and on...? Lance and Hincapie and even Bruyneel on TheMove are much more direct.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    It’s their podcast, I doubt they get paid by the word.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Had a strange sense when watching the (non-cycling) Brawn GP documentary on Disney+ over the last few days that some of the in-race commentary had been over-dubbed by Kirby, but couldn't see him on the credits. Was it just someone with the same / similar voice to his at the time, or is he on there (sans waffle)?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • pinno
    larkim said:

Had a strange sense when watching the (non-cycling) Brawn GP documentary on Disney+ over the last few days that some of the in-race commentary had been over-dubbed by Kirby, but couldn't see him on the credits. Was it just someone with the same / similar voice to his at the time, or is he on there (sans waffle)?

It is possible because he sometimes covers the endurance races including Le Mans.
  • With the Tour de France starting in Lille in 2025 and my much delayed return Dan's ch'Nord, I have vowed to watch any race CK commentates on this season in French, to improve my rustiness

2 birds, 1 stone
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

The season has definitely started - turn on to watch today's race with just over 10k to go and I've already nearly completed my bingo card.

• Pross

“We’re in for an early finish, it’s been really quick let’s see what time we should be at this point”. Consults notes. “Yes, we’re nearly at the fastest predicted time”. Why not just do the check first instead of making an incorrect assertion?

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited March 7

It’s noticeable that Robbie McEwen has taken the giving him a reality check whenever he tries to veer into relating his own version on things, as fact.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited March 8

He was talking about some obvious roadworks (From a helicopter shot) having been carried out recently, and informed us that the gas company must have dug up the road to lay down a cable.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

I may have posted similar before but... to me seems Sean Kelly is much more active as a co-comm without having to interact with Wittermouth.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816

He’s currently butting heads with McEwen over the state of play within the breakaway.

I have also found that he’s becoming increasingly patronising over explanations of the bleeding obvious.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

I did laugh when he said Ayuso was isolated. The camera then showed teammates around him and he said something like “he has a few around him but other than that they’ve all gone”.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

I'm not sure Carlton will cope with this

Chicane added before Arenberg

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!