Lorry Drivers change places with cyclists

2»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This argument in this thread also ignores something else - the huge death toll of pedestrians (half of them on ped crossings) that dwarfs cyclist deaths and again, are a result of the might is right attitude of certain drivers on our roads.

Very true. Its almost as if ped deaths are normal and expected whereas cyclist deaths are abnormal and therefore newsworthy.
    I suppose that cyclist deaths are publicised and reported on because they are so rare (in comparison to ped deaths) which shows how safe it is.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mar_k wrote:
    when things do go wrong regardless of who's at fault the driver is usually arrested.
    Indeed, and that is because they have more rights when arrested than otherwise, it gives the driver more protection and also ensures any evidence gained is usable in court, not arresting them at the scene would be the stupid thing for ALL concerned.

To be honest the only issue I have with HGV's is that many seem to think I'm going slower than I am, when they go to overtake they nearly always start to pull back in before the trailer unit wheels have passed me, I now ease off the pedals as soon as an HGV starts to pass to reduce this risk.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I went to drinks with the Safer Urban Driving trainers and started chatting to a bloke who I assumed was a HGV trainer but turned out to be the head honcho for the SUD scheme and signs the cheques. By the end of our chat he told the boss of the company I contract for to train me up as an instructor trainer* so that I can lead the courses to train lorry drivers.**
    The course costs about £500 and I'd lose a weeks work whilst training but now I'll be getting it for free.
    Sweet!

*NSIT (National Standard Instructor Trainer). I'll be qualified to train Bikeability Instructors.
    ** Only NSIT qualified instructors can lead the SUD courses
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Excellent, well done. Will you come down to civilisation and train some?
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I work for a company that has a lot of HGVs and other vans/trucks so I wrote a letter to our staff magazine a year or so ago asking what they were doing to make cyclists safer. I got a reply back saying that they'd done various things like fitting skirts to lorries, adding cameras and warnings when they were turning etc and that they were looking into training etc.

A few weeks ago, there was an article on a group of drivers going through cycle training. They had similar experiences to the above in terms of realising why cyclists do some of what they do (i.e. taking the lane etc) and company plans on carrying on with training others. They're also actively taking the trucks to schools and local community events to let people do the changing places thing. I thought it was quite promising.

Perhaps it's worth all of us who work for a company with lots of HGV drivers to ask what they're doing and perhaps encourage them to look at training? Particularly if they are a company that encourage cyclists with a C2W scheme.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I work for a company that has a lot of HGVs and other vans/trucks so I wrote a letter to our staff magazine a year or so ago asking what they were doing to make cyclists safer. I got a reply back saying that they'd done various things like fitting skirts to lorries, adding cameras and warnings when they were turning etc and that they were looking into training etc.

A few weeks ago, there was an article on a group of drivers going through cycle training. They had similar experiences to the above in terms of realising why cyclists do some of what they do (i.e. taking the lane etc) and company plans on carrying on with training others. They're also actively taking the trucks to schools and local community events to let people do the changing places thing. I thought it was quite promising.

Perhaps it's worth all of us who work for a company with lots of HGV drivers to ask what they're doing and perhaps encourage them to look at training? Particularly if they are a company that encourage cyclists with a C2W scheme.
    Similar to you, my company has a big fleet of HGVs and trucks (we're UK wide, but have a lot in London). They've all been fitted with addtional mirrors and audible "this vehicle is turning left" warnings. We attened the bike shows with an HGV at the ExCel and the show at the NEC last year too. We're also now FORS gold standard which has a lot in it about protecting "vulnerable road users".

All our vehicles have trackers, not just GPS, but monitor how hard the drivers accelerate and turn etc. We have a league table of drivers and those who are good are rewarded and those who start to develop bad habits are coached initially and if they persist, are disciplined.

We've done a lot so far, but there's still more to do!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk