Nodders, millions of em!

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/content/news/114799-two- ... yclescheme

You read it here first (well, there)
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I saw quite a few this morning.

I dread coming up to a traffic lights with tons of cyclists in their nodder hi viz jackets. You just know its going to be a wobbly set off from the lights and extremely slow.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Leave the nodders alone. I'm in hi viz today, so what? It shouldn't be compulsory but it isn't hurting anyone.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    How dare these people try to use the same roads as proper cyclists :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So cool, all at once?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm contemplating getting my nod on again next week after a couple of years off commuting, keep an eye out for me wobbling and wheezing around the north of birmingham :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:
    I'm contemplating getting my nod on again next week after a couple of years off commuting, keep an eye out for me wobbling and wheezing around the north of birmingham :)

To find Prawny follow the signs that say Birmingham (West) and you'll be North.

For those people that do not know Birmingham, I am NOT joking... :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    BigMat wrote:
    Leave the nodders alone. I'm in hi viz today, so what? It shouldn't be compulsory but it isn't hurting anyone.

I'm in hi-vis today too (Gabba in yellow), but as the proportion of cyclists wearing hi-vis rises, it becomes expected of cyclists by car drivers, police, and worryingly the justice system, so much so that cyclists are seen as negligent if they aren't wearing hi-vis. Get hit wearing non-hi-vis and I'll bet someone will try to proportion blame to you. I have no issues with individuals wearing it, but I am worried that due to the ignorance of others there'll soon be legal precedent for a reduced payment or contributory negligence for not wearing it, compelling everyone to have to wear it.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    BigMat wrote:

I'm in hi-vis today too (Gabba in yellow), but as the proportion of cyclists wearing hi-vis rises, it becomes expected of cyclists by car drivers, police, and worryingly the justice system, so much so that cyclists are seen as negligent if they aren't wearing hi-vis. Get hit wearing non-hi-vis and I'll bet someone will try to proportion blame to you. I have no issues with individuals wearing it, but I am worried that due to the ignorance of others there'll soon be legal precedent for a reduced payment or contributory negligence for not wearing it, compelling everyone to have to wear it.

Perhaps cars should be enforced to employ high visibility paint jobs or decals?

As for the repeated slights against those folks new to commuting by bike, I wonder how many cycle commmuters were experts day #1 :roll:
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got to say, it was weird to see cars outnumbered 3 to 1 on Lower Richmond Road going home last night.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've got to say, it was weird to see cars outnumbered 3 to 1 on Lower Richmond Road going home last night.

I'm noticing that more and more - I also ride along LRR on the way home.
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It'll be nice to see another cyclist on my commute ... just 1 would be ok ... I don't mind giving them a tow if they need it ...

#lonelyinthecountryside ... ;)
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

I'll have you know my commute is almost directly due south.

http://www.strava.com/activities/71320105

Or am I completely missing the point, I don't know birmingham very well either, which is worrying seeing as I've been working here for the last 10 years.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Or am I completely missing the point, I don't know birmingham very well either, which is worrying seeing as I've been working here for the last 10 years.

A38 after the Smallbrook Queensway... signs say Birmingham (West) which you follow to get onto the A38(M) north
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    As for the repeated slights against those folks new to commuting by bike, I wonder how many cycle commmuters were experts day #1 :roll:

I reckon I was.

So that's one.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:
    prawny wrote:

A38 after the Smallbrook Queensway... signs say Birmingham (West) which you follow to get onto the A38(M) north

Oh right, I recognise a couple of those roads.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    BigMat wrote:

There was an article in one of the Sunday supplements a couple of years ago (think it was the Observer) which ran a spread of eight or nine pages of full length photographs, and the reader had to find the one common thing that was in all the photos. I didn't get it, and judging by the comments not many others did either. It wasn't until you read the article at the end of the spread that informed you that the common denominator in all the photos was a piece of hi-viz. the point of the article was to point out that these days hi-viz is so commonly worn, by cyclists, police officers, builders, etc, that it is no longer noticeable. It's just part of the surroundings and doesn't really register as something that stands out.

I have a hi-viz bump for during the day, but I have to admit, I don't feel it makes a difference, unlike the reflective bits on my clothes that lights me up like a Christmas tree at night :-)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm liking the thought of an entirely high viz world with the only ones standing out being those not wearing it...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    When I got knocked off one of the questions was if I was wearing hi viz. I was wearing a bright red top and it was a sunny day. Whilst not what is considered hi viz to most people it meets the criteria by being a marked contrast to the surroundings and it was certainly highly bloody visible if the daft bint had actually looked.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    msmancunia wrote:
    the point of the article was to point out that these days hi-viz is so commonly worn, by cyclists, police officers, builders, etc, that it is no longer noticeable. It's just part of the surroundings and doesn't really register as something that stands out.

Oddly enough, I pondered that very thing almost exactly four years ago!

https://web.archive.org/web/20130406100 ... iz-ibility

I don't wear "hi-viz" any more.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i'm hoping to rejoin the ranks tomorrow, Waterloo to Moorgate a whooping 2.5 to 3 miles

No fear of any hi-viz or helmet for me i'm afraid, its black, red & white the primary colours 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    itboffin wrote:
    i'm hoping to rejoin the ranks tomorrow, Waterloo to Moorgate a whooping 2.5 to 3 miles

No fear of any hi-viz or helmet for me i'm afraid, its black, red & white the primary colours 8)

Is that before or after the SMIDSY hit? :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    arran77 wrote:
    Absolutely. And these horrid nodder types now outnumber bike snobs by about 10 to one :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    arran77 wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they were using the roads but half the ones around my way are on the pavement which understandably upsets the pedestrians who then blame all cyclists.

And yes, I know we were all new once but I'm pretty sure I never shoaled at the lights.

The lack of space in the bike racks at work is also annoying. What's the point of being able to leave later on the bike if that means no space to park... :(
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Agent57 wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

I reckon I was.

So that's one.

Me too. And when I started commuting (2003), there were very few other cyclists on my route to annoy/be annoyed by.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:

Is that before or after the SMIDSY hit? :D

oh Addison Lee and I are well acquainted :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    not wishing to be cynical, but extrapolating from a survey (of sample size we know not) that 1 in 10 Brits are suddenly going to become cyclists, and that equals 2million at road.cc ... whilst over at bike.biz its more like 6million :shock: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/six-mi ... ing/016178

well its almost like they are trying to sell something isnt it :D
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Veronese68 wrote:
    When I got knocked off one of the questions was if I was wearing hi viz. I was wearing a bright red top and it was a sunny day. Whilst not what is considered hi viz to most people it meets the criteria by being a marked contrast to the surroundings and it was certainly highly bloody visible if the daft bint had actually looked.

I wonder if you got hit by the same woman as me! "I didn't see you"... "But I had stopped and you hit me with the front of your car"..... Casualty asked if I was wearing a helmet. Yes I said but it was my leg that got hit I didn't hit my head. It's just one of the dumb questions they have to ask.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kurako wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I wonder if you got hit by the same woman as me! "I didn't see you"... "But I had stopped and you hit me with the front of your car"..... Casualty asked if I was wearing a helmet. Yes I said but it was my leg that got hit I didn't hit my head. It's just one of the dumb questions they have to ask.

Well why weren't you wearing your helmet on your leg where it would have done some good? No helping some people.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    With my hand in a splint and arm in a sling I was visiting a prospective secondary school for our daughter. A teacher asked what happened followed by "were you wearing a helmet?" I told her I was but I hadn't hit my head. "Good job you were wearing a helmet then" came the reply. I probably should have slapped her with my good hand. We decided against that school for a variety of reasons, ignorant teachers was one.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    The both times that I have been hit by a car I was wearing High Vis, the thousands of times I wasnt hit by a car I wasnt wearing High Vis. Go Figure.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills