Planet X vs Canyon vs Rose

lgcbiking
lgcbiking Posts: 34
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

admittedly a common topic, but looking for a sub-1000 pound bike, although I'm limited to online retailers as I'm buying from sweden, where a LBS would be very expensive. I'm not too fussed about a carbon bike necessarily, whatever works best. This is mostly for weekend rides, but I'd probably like to do a multi-day thing at some point (so the possibility of adding a pannier would be a plus).

Anyway, the standout options I've seen so far are, in increasing order of price:

Rose PRO-SL 2000 (£860 delivered)
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... aid:668081

Canyon Roadlite 6.0 (£950 delivered)
http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3191

Planet-X (£1000 delivered)
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike

The two germans are full 105/aluminium, planet-x is carbon/ultegra bits, but not much between them weight-wise. I like the look of the Canyon, but the Rose is the cheapest and lightest (under 8kg), so surely the most sensible option? Any thoughts on these (or other options)?

Cheers!

Comments

• Price_jg
    Price_jg Posts: 17
    I have just got a canyon roadlight 6 and I can fully recommend it. I looked around for ages but like the canyons because they do not try and save money on components, wheels etc. it has full 105 even the chain set unlike some makes and very good wheels (mavic aksium). I would imagine rose is similar. Quality German engineering too! Good luck choosing.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    It's not just about the bike, it's about the customer support. In my experience Canyon are good with that sort of thing.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    My experience of Rose is that they are responsive and supportive, giving helpful suggestions regarding equipment and sizing.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Both Canyon and Rose are in a different league IMO. All there own development and frames.

They are also lighter than the planet x carbon!, have better wheels and finishing kit. They also have full group set (apart from rose chain set)

I would go with the canyon or look at the next model above at rose.the SL3000 is only 140 more than the planet x and has full Ultegra 6800 , 7.6kg and has very nice finishing kit. All the rose biles have smooth welds too which is nice (apart from the matt black ones)
  • lgcbiking wrote:
    Hi,

admittedly a common topic, but looking for a sub-1000 pound bike, although I'm limited to online retailers as I'm buying from sweden, where a LBS would be very expensive. I'm not too fussed about a carbon bike necessarily, whatever works best. This is mostly for weekend rides, but I'd probably like to do a multi-day thing at some point (so the possibility of adding a pannier would be a plus).

Anyway, the standout options I've seen so far are, in increasing order of price:

Rose PRO-SL 2000 (£860 delivered)
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... aid:668081

Canyon Roadlite 6.0 (£950 delivered)
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3191

Planet-X (£1000 delivered)
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike

The two germans are full 105/aluminium, planet-x is carbon/ultegra bits, but not much between them weight-wise. I like the look of the Canyon, but the Rose is the cheapest and lightest (under 8kg), so surely the most sensible option? Any thoughts on these (or other options)?

Cheers!

If you are shopping from Sweden then it might be worthwhile looking at bikebuster.se as they have some pretty good prices, especially on Wilier bikes. You can get the Wilier Izoard XP with campagnolo veloce for under 12k SEK at the moment. (no connection with the shop, BTW)
  • lgcbiking
    Thanks for the feedback! Fairly unanimous in favour of the germans, which was my gut feeling too.

For the ones recommending canyon, any particular reason to pick it up over the Rose? This is considering the rose is £90 cheaper, which is not insignificant. As far as I can tell, the Rose is lighter, and has the same kit, except for the non-105 crankset, does that make that much of a difference? It's customisable, so I could upgrade the wheels with that money for example (although that's one thing I know nothing about). Or I could be £90 better off.

In terms of the more expensive options (rose sl3000/wilier izoard), I think the differences would be lost on me, so would rather not spend that much. My previous bike was an old cannondale (not very heavy, but heavier than these for sure) with sora/tiagra gears, and I was quite happy with that (although I gave it away), so any of these is going to feel like a pretty good upgrade... I did have 105 shifters, and liked them, so would still lean towards the rose/canyon over wilier, although local is usually better...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    That is a ridiculous price on the Planet X. I'd go for that, even though I love the way the Rose bikes look.
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    I've ridden both the Canyon and the Planet X. The Canyon is far better bike, more responsive and a bit stiffer for getting your power down. Always found Planet X bikes a bit of a let down in that department.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If I had that choice it'd be the Canyon without a doubt. The Px bike has a bottom end carbon frame that's been around for ever, a part Ultegra groupset with a lower end chainset and brakes, plus the wheels are a bit dodgy.
    The Canyon has a full 105 groupset and Mavic wheels and by all accounts a cracking frame.
    I used the 5700 and 6700 groupsets during last year and there's squat between them so don't be swayed by the Ultegra shifters.
    Aesthetically the Canyon is head and shoulders above the Px.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Joelsim wrote:
    That is a ridiculous price on the Planet X. I'd go for that, even though I love the way the Rose bikes look.
    ^^+1, I ride a Pro Carbon and a friend has one (he is 85kg) no problems with stiffness or flexing and if you feel like it you can make the effort to go to one of the shops and try one.
  • The Px bike has a bottom end carbon frame that's been around for ever

It's a well proven frame that we've been very happy with for a number of years and we continue to have great feedback from our customers on.
    , a part Ultegra groupset with a lower end chainset and brakes

Yes - Ultegra. That's Ultegra STI's, front mech, rear mech, cassette and chain. We use a non-series 5-level (105 equivalent) crank and brakeset.
    plus the wheels are a bit dodgy.

FSA Vision 30's are "a bit dodgy?" I'm not aware of that.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    The Px bike has a bottom end carbon frame that's been around for ever

It's a well proven frame that we've been very happy with for a number of years and we continue to have great feedback from our customers on.
    , a part Ultegra groupset with a lower end chainset and brakes

Yes - Ultegra. That's Ultegra STI's, front mech, rear mech, cassette and chain. We use a non-series 5-level (105 equivalent) crank and brakeset.
    plus the wheels are a bit dodgy.

FSA Vision 30's are "a bit dodgy?" I'm not aware of that.

Good effort Brant. Where are the Germans now eh? :D
  • rickeverett
    If the Rose SL3000 is too much for you (IMO its worth the £149 extra over the Planet X being full Ultegra, lighter, better finishing kit etc etc) then I would go with the Rose SL2000.

Only reason is the Rose is nicely finished in terms of the welding (on non matt black models). Apart from the FSA Chainset, the rest is 105 and more than adequate. Its still lighter than the Planet X and has a good finishing kit like the Canyon. Looking at reviews a better frame than the PLX too. Oh and its the cheapest.

The Canyon is very nice too with full 105. :? NOTE HOWEVER - You cant customise the Canyon. You can the Rose. (spacers, colour, bartape etc etc etc) That, and the fact Canyon take longer to ship would put me back on the Rose.

I have been thinking about getting a Rose bike - Having a look around the site you can also put the £90 saving towards some matching ROSE Cycling jerseys and shorts which looks excellent value too. :P

decisions decisions.
  • lgcbiking
    If the Rose SL3000 is too much for you (IMO its worth the £149 extra over the Planet X being full Ultegra, lighter, better finishing kit etc etc) then I would go with the Rose SL2000.

Only reason is the Rose is nicely finished in terms of the welding (on non matt black models). Apart from the FSA Chainset, the rest is 105 and more than adequate. Its still lighter than the Planet X and has a good finishing kit like the Canyon. Looking at reviews a better frame than the PLX too. Oh and its the cheapest.

The Canyon is very nice too with full 105. :? NOTE HOWEVER - You cant customise the Canyon. You can the Rose. (spacers, colour, bartape etc etc etc)

decisions decisions.

Decisions decisions indeed! My point of view is not whether it's worth £150 over the planet-x, but if it's worth £300 over the sl2000 (probably not). As I said before, the canyon/rose are so close, the price could lean it towards the latter, or at least that's my pov now, I'll take some time to think about it.

Rickeverett, what's the difference in the welding with the black matt models? I was kind of leaning towards that, although black/green (possibly replacing the fluorescent bartape) could work too.. Also, what do people mean by 'finishing kit'?

EDIT: How much of a difference does having an FSA crankset make?
  • rickeverett
    edited March 2014
    lgcbiking wrote:

The Canyon is very nice too with full 105. :? NOTE HOWEVER - You cant customise the Canyon. You can the Rose. (spacers, colour, bartape etc etc etc)

decisions decisions.

Decisions decisions indeed! My point of view is not whether it's worth £150 over the planet-x, but if it's worth £300 over the sl2000 (probably not). As I said before, the canyon/rose are so close, the price could lean it towards the latter, or at least that's my pov now, I'll take some time to think about it.

Rickeverett, what's the difference in the welding with the black matt models? I was kind of leaning towards that, although black/green (possibly replacing the fluorescent bartape) could work too.. Also, what do people mean by 'finishing kit'?

EDIT: How much of a difference does having an FSA crankset make?

If you have a look at the colour options for the ROSE bike and press the Camera icon for a actual photo, you will notice that the matt black model doesn't have smooth welding for some reason. Shiny Black and other colour models do, so watch out.
    IMO The smooth welds sell it for me on a Aluminium frame. Looks much better.

Finishing kit is things like the Handelbars & Stem, Bartape, Saddle, Seatpost, Spacers and bits like that etc. On the Canyon and Rose they are all good branded stuff.

The £300 difference looking at the comparison is..... : Full Ultegra 6800 Groupset (inc Ultegra Chainset), 11 Speed, 300g less weight overall, Slightly Better (lighter) Seatpost, Slightly Better (lighter) Stem and a couple of little things like tape.

The FSA Chainset/Crankset wont make much difference really . Might be a tad heavier and arguably isn't optimised in the way shimano would like to do shifting wise (if it was a 105 one with 105 chain and 105 shifter etc). I wouldn't worry though.

Me personally If I was prepared to spend £1000 on Planet X, I would pay for the new Ultegra SL3000.
    A new 105 Groupset is coming out soon so that would date the bike straight away + you may be thinking in a few months "I wonder if I should have gone for the 3000" hehe. :lol: But its all your decision at the end of the day. £300 like you said could go to something else, like some nice new kit etc or a few drinks etc.
  • £1199 - full 6800 11spd groupset, full carbon frame, internal cabled, RS-11 wheels. Anyhow.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57UL ... -road-bike
  • rickeverett
    £1199 - full 6800 11spd groupset, full carbon frame, internal cabled, RS-11 wheels. Anyhow.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57UL ... -road-bike

VS

£1142 - full 6800, Lighter Frame (7.65kg all in size 57), Full Internal Cable, Mavic Aksium S WTS Wheels , Good Finishing Kit :P

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... tchanged=1
    1950872_1.keqgiwdudf.jpg

OP has lots to decide on that for sure !
  • Aye. That's lovely. Thank goodness there's lots of choice out there. You've all never had it so good :-)
  • rickeverett
    Aye. That's lovely. Thank goodness there's lots of choice out there. You've all never had it so good :-)

One think about Planet X - its UK so better in a way for the OP support wise instead of shipping to Germany etc.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Had this choice to make recently. At the bike show I rode a Rose and a Canyon and had a good look at the Planet X. The Rose was like a dream to ride!

4 weeks later I had one in my house, a CRS3000 with all the trimmings. Its only done 100km so far as the weather has been poor. The customisation on the website is fantastic.... Changed the bits you don't like / want for ones you I do. The only slight negative is the fact that the Magic Kysrium elite wts come with 23mm tires only.... The WTS stands for with tire system and you can't swap the rubber
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Rose for the exclusivity factor. Still never seen one out on the road whereas PX and Canyon increasingly are 10 a penny. Not sure if that applies in Sweden however!
  • lgcbiking
    Anybody have any thoughts on Rose wheels?

I was playing around with the options, and an additional £100 gives the Rose Xeon Aero 1500/Rose RS 1400 wheelsets with Grand Prix 4000S tyres. Comparing their retail price with the price of the mavic aksium, it seems like a good deal (paying less than the difference). It saves 500g (plus I could put on 25mm tyres, which would probably be better), but can't find anything online about their quality...
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Just before Christmas I bought a Rose Xeon CRS2000. On the face of it this is entry level for the Xeon CRS but it's exactly the same quality carbon frame as all their other Xeon CRS models and came with full 105 so not bad for £1100 inc box and delivery. Anyway it comes specced with the rose 1400 wheels and I have to say they are fantastic. They are super light and roll like a dream. Minor niggle is the standard tyres they are specced with (can't remember what they were) will last about 5 mins on British country roads so unless you live somewhere with decent roads you'll want to swap them out for something more suitable.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • lgcbiking
    Cheers for the feedback Curto, that's good. It's strange that I can find absolutely nothing on these wheels online. I'm unlikely to upgrade things in the future (unless they break), so I figured now is a good opportunity to check, as it saves me paying twice. I was just a bit concerned as they weigh considerably less than other, more expensive, options (e.g. the mavic ksyrium equipe), so I was wondering if there was a catch.

I can choose what tires to put on, although there's not much choice. I was thinking the Continental Grand Prix 4000s as they seem to get good reviews, not sure if they're the same as yours..
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I recall a c+ group test that included a carbon framed Rose and seemed to remember that they found the front-rear balance or stiffness didn't really match-up. Probably 12 months or so ago - recall the Rose being bright green/white.
  • rickeverett
    lgcbiking wrote:
    Cheers for the feedback Curto, that's good. It's strange that I can find absolutely nothing on these wheels online. I'm unlikely to upgrade things in the future (unless they break), so I figured now is a good opportunity to check, as it saves me paying twice. I was just a bit concerned as they weigh considerably less than other, more expensive, options (e.g. the mavic ksyrium equipe), so I was wondering if there was a catch.

I can choose what tires to put on, although there's not much choice. I was thinking the Continental Grand Prix 4000s as they seem to get good reviews, not sure if they're the same as yours..

They are via Rose only, hence no reviews... They look good however.! But the rear has a thicker profile which looks odd imo.

Mavic Aksium S WTS = 2425g For Wheelset + Tyres &Tubes (1735g for Wheelset)
    ROSE RS1400 Wheelset = 1400g for wheelset / Continental GP4000S 23C = 410g / Tubes around 100g each. 2010g for Wheelset (est)
  • lgcbiking
    lgcbiking wrote:

They are via Rose only, hence no reviews... They look good however.!

ROSE RS1400 Wheelset = 1400g for wheelset / Continental GP4000S 23C = 410g / Tubes around 100g each. 2010g for Wheelset (est)

I'd forgotten about the tube weight! Still, 400g saved for £100 seems a reasonable investment? Plus I can then put a 25mm tyre...
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    lgcbiking wrote:

They are via Rose only, hence no reviews... They look good however.! But the rear has a thicker profile which looks odd imo.

I can see why you say that but I actually like the overall look it gives the bike - matter of taste I guess.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • bbari
    bbari Posts: 1
    Am I wrong in saying that Rose works out more expensive than Canyon ?

Both have base price of €1,000.

When you change to 105 crank on Rose (to match it with Canyon), its extra €40.
    When you change the tyre to Continental 4000S on Rose (to match it with Canyon) , its extra €60.

Hence Rose works out €1,100 when Canyon have both of the above in €1,000.

Am I missing something as previously its been said that Rose is €90 cheaper ?
  • rickeverett
    bbari wrote:
    Am I wrong in saying that Rose works out more expensive than Canyon ?

Both have base price of €1,000.

When you change to 105 crank on Rose (to match it with Canyon), its extra €40.
    When you change the tyre to Continental 4000S on Rose (to match it with Canyon) , its extra €60.

Hence Rose works out €1,100 when Canyon have both of the above in €1,000.

Am I missing something as previously its been said that Rose is €90 cheaper ?

which models are you looking at. ?