Milan-San Remo 2014 *SPOILERS*

1121314151618»

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Good point about kit choice, however they must know what there doing.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Cyclocosm How The Race was Won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... luChsADt6D

"It's a 7 hour bike race [in the cold pouring rain] with a climb 6k from the end. If it does end in a bunch sprint it's not like anyone got there without earning it."

Note the exquisite dissection of the sprint and Cancellara's 3rd spot.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

"It's a 7 hour bike race [in the cold pouring rain] with a climb 6k from the end. If it does end in a bunch sprint it's not like anyone got there without earning it."

2nd spot, but yes, top work there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome

2nd spot, but yes, top work there.

cf PTP thread and 50 point debacle

Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd
    Cancellara came 2nd

Think I've nearly got it now :D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited March 2014
    theboz91 Mar 22, 5:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
    @cosmocatalano your videos are hilarious!

Quality work like Cosmo's deserves much wider exposure. Now all the frothy crap is disappearing there's scope for a velozine - an outstanding blog, with peerless video analysis and insightful podcast to have a stab at a subscription site. There's some seriously fine curators of cycling lore in that bunch.

(Very good spot at 3:00 in pretty scathing Flanders 2013 analysis.)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That is, by far and away, the best dissection of a sprint I think I ve ever seen...

Arguably because it's one of the only dissections of a sprint i ve ever seen (hat check INRG)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RR, was EBH working for Ben in the finale? Swift said he felt really good so may have had a chat with EBH and EBH then rode for him. Swift looked to be handling himself fine on the Poggio for instance but EBH was only 34secs back presumably after having done some work. Decent race by him all in I'd say. Much better than Hushovd - he should be a performer in these conditions like his Norwegian counterparts.

Yes he was. Sky put up both EBH and Swift as leaders going into the race, and the team protected them both. The arrangement was that Swift and EBH would talk before the finale and agree who would go for it according to how good each was feeling and how the race was playing out. EBH agreed with Swift to support him going for it. Puccio was there to help both/either of them.

Not convinced. Puccio did a stack of work in the last 30km but every time I saw EBH he was further back than Swift. Wouldn't be surprised to see EBH up there at Flanders though. Sky are actually developing a decent Classics team just behind the favourites, their biggest problem is they don't appear to have an obvious leader (or is that actually a strength?).
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

That's great stuff
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Am I the only one who enjoys Sagan not winning. I just enjoy it, think he's the new EBH

Sagan : 4'th and 2n'd in Milan San Remo
    5'th and 2nd in Tour of Flanders
    2nd E3
    1st G-W

Biggles : 1st G-W when it was less than 200KM. On a Wednesday.
    9'th EG

Pretty safe to say they're on different levels in the classics so far.
    And generally just different riders. Sky have detrained or retrained EBH into a domestique. Sagan is a different rider to him now. 3 years ago it was EBH winning 2 tour stages and breaking away. That seems a long time ago.

Yet despite apparently 'detraining' or 'retraining' EBH as a domestique, he still won Plouay in very impressive style in '12, and silver in the Worlds same year - as well as a number few other races same year? Last year was a very poor year, but already this year he's got his best result on the cobbles since winning GW in '09.

Its an interesting view that Sky have somehow changed him and held him back. Sagan is the stronger all-round rider - and that stands when comparing him to the EBH 2011 model as much as EBH 2014.

EBH's contract is up this year. Be interesting to see what happens if he moves to another team. Maybe he'll get results that make everyone huff and puff that Sky were holding him back - but its equally possible that he won't.
    Agree, but the last time EBH was used as Sky's Sprint weapon was as a reserve sprinter/ leadout in 2012 when Cav was there. Him and swift have a similar finish, which is to say fast but not top level sprinter fast, I just think that a lot of his instinct has been taken away or "told" to desist by their DS's. I'm sure that if he did change teams he'd probably be useful for solo attacks and don't forget he's still a pretty tasty Time trialler. there's plenty to come from him if he's allowed to get on with things. Just seems that thats not Skys way. As an allrounder, he's by no means a match for Sagan though, who just seems to be a little bit better at everything.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Have to disagree re chances he gets in sprints - he was set up for finishes that suited him several times in the 2012 Tour - Wiggins himself doing a pretty decent turn for him on 2 stages. And he wins a stage at the Dauphine y-o-y inc last year. They let him go for sprints in the Tour last year (but on his own and having to follow other teams' wheels admittedly - suspect if G hadnt crashed he'd have been giving him a hand, they''ve often been a decent pairing in the final 3k). He was their sprinter at the Vuelta last year, contested most of the sprints.

As I said, if he does move teams, it genuinely will be interesting to see what changes.
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:
    That Cancellera stat looks wrong now, Irish Peloton saying he DNF Flanders 2012.

Jeez, If you can't trust randomers on twitter who can you trust

That's the second tweeted stat I've posted which turned out to be pants - will have to sack the researcher

It's being amended now to >

Last 10 Monuments that Fabian Cancellara finished: 1/1/2/3/2/2/3/1/1/2.

http://djconnel.blogspot.com/2014/03/mi ... rider.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Macaloon wrote:
    Quality work like Cosmo's deserves much wider exposure. Now all the frothy crap is disappearing there's scope for a velozine - an outstanding blog, with peerless video analysis and insightful podcast to have a stab at a subscription site. There's some seriously fine curators of cycling lore in that bunch.

(Very good spot at 3:00 in pretty scathing Flanders 2013 analysis.)

This. Add this video work to Inner Rings blog posts and I'd pay, for sure.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/ice-cold-sanremo Nice read from Chris Juul-Jensen.
  • Macaloon
    Crampeur wrote:
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/ice-cold-sanremo Nice read from Chris Juul-Jensen.

Great read. Thanks

"“Oh yeah? Well, I once saw a rider eat the equivalent of Pozzovivo’s weight in spaghetti!” (Having seen Pozzovivo, that’s probably not much food.)"

Referring to legendary carb consumption at pre MSR feast.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    ^ Essential viewing.

Includes Tinkoff's new celebrity signings, Bill Murray and Tim Robbins.
  • frenchfighter
    "I was really upset not to be selected," Bouhanni told L'Equipe. "I don't understand why because my race program had been established a while back. It was team decision. I've tried not to think about it too much but Milan-San Remo was a real goal for me. It's a race that I have always dreamt about but I didn’t get a chance to ride it."

Best placed rider for FDJ was Offredo who finished in the fiest group. Their sprinter Demare (chosen over Bouhanni) was 34th, 1.22 back.
    Contador is the Greatest