little help with my training please

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
i am looking for a little advise how to move forward. i tend to ride 100 miles per week, and over say 40-60 miles depending on the route i average anything between 14-16 mph. now i am 6'3" and currently 16st 6 lbs. now i know the first thing would be lose weight, i have put too much on over winter and currently losing it a bit. i am probably about a stone heavier then last year. but if honest thats not what i want to know, what i would like to know is wether i should really try more interval etc to push my training on? as i say i tend to do 100 miles a week over 3 rides. 2x 20 miles and a 60 at the weekend. i don't know if i really at this point i should still be bashing miles out rather then getting more focused. any advice is welcome.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What are you hoping to achieve? That's going to be pretty crucial to any help you're going to get.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above. Depends on what you want to get good at - and what the point of your training is...
  • ianbar
    sorry knew i had forgot something! its hard to set targets, but really say on a flat route average 17-18mph? thats on my own btw and a more hilly 60 (4000ft climbing) certainly 16mph. i guess it would be good to be good enough to stick at the back of the pack in a race but i don't think i will ever get that good.
    enigma esprit
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Those 20 mile sessions would be well spent doing intervals on the flat. You should be able to fit in several flat out 5 minute sessions. Depending on the road conditions like junctions etc. mix up the interval length and put in some sprints. When riding hills you're going to have to try climbing much harder especially if you want to race. Have fun doing it because then even if the racing doesn't go to well you'll be able to impress your mates.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • ianbar
    cheers for that, i think i can find some stretches like that, i will try and start doing some rides like that. i also know my climbing is terrible but i will improve as my weight drops, but i have some good climbs pretty much on my doorstep so i will also stet some specific hill sessions.
    enigma esprit
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    the only thing I would say about intervals is that they are not much fun, and I generally feel that sometimes they can be counter productive, as you have to be pretty motivated to do them properly.

What I have found really helpful is endurance HR training - i.e. easy rides out at a lowish heart rate. Builds a good base.

But, all in all, I think just enjoy getting out on the bike and watching what you eat is a great start.
    Insert bike here:
  • ianbar
    cheers mpatts, i probably already agree with the intervals! i think something i am going to do is try and make the intervals strava segments which will hopefully keep my mind set on them. from now on i am looking to really build my weekend rides in terms of distance, at least 60 miles but probably with more hills. i am not doing to bad with the eating properly the weight seems to be coming off even if slower then i had hoped.
    enigma esprit
  • More intervals are good, but make sure you mix them up a bit rather than attempting to beat the same Strava segments time and time again. Strava can be helpful, but a slightly more targetted ride where you go for a few segments of similar length (eg. ~3min) will be better than doing a bunch of random efforts from 30sec to 10min. Initially though any increase in intensity will help you improve!

Xav
  • meanredspider
    More intervals are good, but make sure you mix them up a bit rather than attempting to beat the same Strava segments time and time again. Strava can be helpful, but a slightly more targetted ride where you go for a few segments of similar length (eg. ~3min) will be better than doing a bunch of random efforts from 30sec to 10min. Initially though any increase in intensity will help you improve!

Xav

Why is the similar length of interval helpful? (Genuine question not a challenge)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just to make sure you're utilising and improving the same energy system during the ride. Varied intervals have their place of course, but if every interval based ride you do is a random hodgepodge of Strava segments (quite a common thing) then you won't improve as much as if you target specific durations from time to time.

Xav
  • meanredspider
    Just to make sure you're utilising and improving the same energy system during the ride. Varied intervals have their place of course, but if every interval based ride you do is a random hodgepodge of Strava segments (quite a common thing) then you won't improve as much as if you target specific durations from time to time.

Xav

OK - but that does give you quite a wide window: anything longer than anaerobic. Motivation-wise, I'd rather bust my gut trying to beat a segment than just bust it for a random 3 minutes. But that's just me.
  • ianbar
    oh yes i was thinking of certain segments that are a certain length, actually some are road next to each other so should be very similar length roughly 1.7 miles.
    enigma esprit
  • Motivation-wise, I'd rather bust my gut trying to beat a segment than just bust it for a random 3 minutes. But that's just me.

Ah no what I mean is if you want to use Strava for that kind of thing then find segments of similar length :)

Xav