Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    cjcp wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Edited out dumb.

Live in St Margarets and work in Mayfair so no. Would be nice to be able to afford a house here but not happening so I'm moving to Beckenham soon (I hope).
    Never had Beckenham down as a cheap place to live - but it's a good option. PM me if you want a few tips, iIve been here for 15 yrs.

Compared to St Margarets it is affordable for us. Everything is relative though. Thanks for the offer. I'll be seeking some route advice at some point!

Had a look at Whitton, New Malden or Worcester Park?

New Malden is currently going house price bonkers, as is Raynes Park. It seems to be a knock on from Wimbledon etc just being silly expensive. I think people are now also discovering that these areas are nice to live in and have loads of links into Central London.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    cjcp wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Edited out dumb.

Live in St Margarets and work in Mayfair so no. Would be nice to be able to afford a house here but not happening so I'm moving to Beckenham soon (I hope).
    Never had Beckenham down as a cheap place to live - but it's a good option. PM me if you want a few tips, iIve been here for 15 yrs.

Compared to St Margarets it is affordable for us. Everything is relative though. Thanks for the offer. I'll be seeking some route advice at some point!

We're a little beyond that stage now I'm afraid. We did give Whitton some consideration but decided it wasn't going to work for us.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    menthel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Edited out dumb.

New Malden is currently going house price bonkers, as is Raynes Park. It seems to be a knock on from Wimbledon etc just being silly expensive. I think people are now also discovering that these areas are nice to live in and have loads of links into Central London.

Everywhere is going bonkers. That is the problem. 100% price rises in last few years in many parts of Surbiton. I've likely made circa 20-25% in less than a year.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Edited out dumb.

I nearly ended up in Beckenham too, but I managed to hold onto Bromley. Just.

I would be interested to see what London looked like in terms of taxes paid by area, because I'd be interested to compare Bromley/Beckenham to places like Lewisham to see what the differences really are.

In theory I too have made a fair whack on the value of my property, and I have to say I'm really happy about that as it means that I don't have to feel bad about spending more on the place. Ideally I'd like to not have to worry about sorting out the hallway to have a nice inbuilt bike storage.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Isn't the premise of the poll a bit silly (even for a Friday)? I mean why is it an issue to live in a constituency that pays a lot of tax? I can see that PAYING a lot of tax might be an issue (could be bad or good depending on your outlook, afterall paying a lot of tax is the "prize" for earning good money) but living somewhere where on average people pay a lot of tax doesn't seem to tell you much. But perhaps the issue is that implies the people living there are beaten down by high housing costs and the angst of being surrounded by others conspicuous consumption? If so I'd suggest moving. But if it's code for saying "are you one of those higer earners whose tax pays for a big chunk of public spending" then why not just have a poll saying "are you in the top x% of earners" and be done with it?
  • I think it just underlines the Daily Mail love of highlighting how the hard working tax paying swivel eyed loons are hard up funding the likes of South Shields where the entire tax take by the treasury struggles to buy you a pack of fags and half a pint of mild. While also making the hard working tax paying swivel eyed loons feel vilified that those in 'that London' who are spending the rest of their disposalable income on Caviar and Colnagos are being made to suffer to enjoy such luxuries as air and water that's already passed through seven other people.

If whining about House Prices, we had a look at SE London and even some thoughts about Hackney but found the pricing is equivalent to SW London on the premis it might one day be safe and have transport but the prices were the same as living somewhere that wasn't Peckham Rye and had a reasonable train service.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.