Prescription Insert lenses (on a budget)

Dazza @>@'
Dazza @>@' Posts: 65
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am looking to get some interchangable lenses with inserts but I am on a budget, I cannot run to Oakley and such like. I have thought about ebay for frames and then getting new inserts but again no idea where to start.

Please advise

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Hardly a budget!

You can get inserts for lots of glasses very cheaply, e.g.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:550820
    and
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:550828

You can then get the insert glazed for 15 quid or so by someone like:

http://www.specs-by-post.com/glasses/pc ... m_0001.pdf
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've just started using these http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/product.php/65/pro_performance_plus_rx_prescription_cycling_sunglasses with a bifocal prescription.

I'm very pleased so far. they've transformed the number of data fields that I can now clearly read on my Garmin 500.

As to style... well, that's personal choice.... not Oakleys but OK for me. With the lighet shaded lenses you can see the insert but with the darkest lens it's pretty well hidden.

Service from Rapid was very good.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    RX sport did me some lovely rudy project Zyons with massive prescription inserts. very nice but not cheap!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    philbar72 wrote:
    RX sport did me some lovely rudy project Zyons with massive prescription inserts. very nice but not cheap!

I got some RX Zyons from Vision Express, with Transistion lenses (fully RX lens not insert). Really pleased with them. Turns out that my local Vision Express were discontinuing Rudy Project so with a bit of haggling I basically got the frames for free :D

Best cycling related purchase I've ever made.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I was lucky to find some Adidas Evil Eyes for £50 and got some insert on line for about £35.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    BBB do a set. Called the powerview or something, triple set of lenses, couple of colours and about £40 plus the reglaze.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    I got some imitation Oakleys from off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350852037967? ... 26_rdc%3D1
    which cost £7.80.
    They included frame, 5 lenses and a myopia frame. I have now had the prescription inserts made at Specsavers (£39) and the glasses are excellent. I can now see distances very clearly and they make travelling downhill much safer.

All in all probably one of the best buys I have ever made.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Cheap ebay and specs by post looks like a good cheap option to me!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    If on a budget have a word with your optician about contacts.

When looking at scrip inserts or lenses, you need to know how string your scrip is as it can make quite a difference to availability of options and costs.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sorry for thread hijack but does anyone know if there is a prescription lens insert for Oakley Radar?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    You can get prescription inserts for Radar's but they're very expensive, and I've read varying reports on how good they are.

I did the same as the previous poster and bought some replica radar's from eBay. I then took the lenses out of an old pair if glasses and using blu tak I secured them to the frame. Been working like that for well over a year with no problems. Doing it this way puts the prescription lenses in the perfect position when the heads down on the bike.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just a word of caution. Not all frames can accept prescription lenses. Frames that have, what you might call, a lot of aero sweep to them aren't suitable because all that "sweep" makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to grind a prescription lens without a lot of distortion.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Crikey! They are expensive... will cycle with blurred vision instead thanks.

@ratsbey
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Not sure that'll hold up in court when you mow someone down. :roll:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Not sure that'll hold up in court when you mow someone down. :roll:

You are correct - lend me £300 and I'll pay you back tomorrow. :roll:

@ratsbey
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    You can get prescription inserts for Radar's but they're very expensive, and I've read varying reports on how good they are.

I did the same as the previous poster and bought some replica radar's from eBay. I then took the lenses out of an old pair if glasses and using blu tak I secured them to the frame. Been working like that for well over a year with no problems. Doing it this way puts the prescription lenses in the perfect position when the heads down on the bike.

You need to be careful to keep the blutak moist and renew it every so often. I had an unfortunate experience when both lenses fell out simultaneously when I went over a pothole and a few seconds later I ploughed into the back of a wagon full of bull manure.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Oakleys best prescription including the first 2 readings is +/-5 so if you have poor eyesight, it may be better to go elsewhere.

All in my prescription is -7 + another reading, which means they are right on the limit ..... and the rudys worked wonderfully well this weekend. :D

JibberJims reccomendation for inserts works out cheaper than what i paid, so if you have frames that work with this try that method.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Kangarouge wrote:
    I got some imitation Oakleys from off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350852037967? ... 26_rdc%3D1
    which cost £7.80.
    They included frame, 5 lenses and a myopia frame. I have now had the prescription inserts made at Specsavers (£39) and the glasses are excellent. I can now see distances very clearly and they make travelling downhill much safer.

All in all probably one of the best buys I have ever made.

I have those, so off to specsavers I go :-)
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Have been following this thread as i'm also after some glasses with a prescription insert without breaking the bank.
    Just bought the same as above £11.55 on Ebay sold from the UK instead of China.
    For that price they must be worth a try :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Link?
  • topdude
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Ta - cillary blue are about the cheapest place for the lenses, if you have a prescription, from £15. Quick and efficient too. Had a pair of normal specs done by them a few months ago, took about a week.
  • topdude wrote:

Thanks - how is the sizing on these? I have a large head and most cycling sunglasses are too small - from the dimensions on the ebay ad these look bigger than usual - anyone got a pair could say? Also do the prescription inserts sit a decent distance from your eyes? I've tried pairs where eyelashes brushed against them - very annoying!
  • topdude
    I have the same concerns and as soon as they arrive i will report back :D
  • topdude wrote:
    I have the same concerns and as soon as they arrive i will report back :D
    Cheers top dude appreciate that, I know they are cheap but it still feels daft to order them with doubts about size. Still if they turned up very small my six year old would love them.
  • topdude
    Well that didn't go quite as planned :?
    Ebay glasses not being supplied due to some quality problem allegedly.
    Will have to think again :?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Armour 720 Ryders/Riders are good, decent sized insert and very comfortable glasses (for me anyway). I got mine much cheaper than any of the similar Oakley, Rudy Project and other options. They seem just as good to me - possibly better since the insert is bigger!
    I got mine in Chainreactioncycles a couple of years ago. I don't think they stock them anymore but you may find them somewhere.