Building new wheels up

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Looking at your pictures it would appear that you have more than a few dollars invested in your bike(lots of carbon). It appears that you have decent equipment. Why are you skimping on wheels? If you're going to build a set why would you build something that most likely will fail or at the very least you'll be constantly truing and re-truing. At least try and do it right the first time. i.e. at least get a dishing tool. Do you realize what could happen with an improperly dished rim? Especially if it's dished too far toward the cassette side?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    :D Desweller,

I would have preferred to use steel instead of ally, none to hand , but fairly sure it'll hold up. I could add a bit of support for the other side, but that 'jig' is really solid, if I have any doubts I can always check it on the bike.Also, Matthew needs to do the rear wheel so he'll have to clamp on the outside of the forks. I have a couple of dial gauges I could use, but really I think that is overkill. I'll fix/clamp something to use as a reference point.Anyway,thanks for the input it does help.

dennisn,

Actually, I'm not skimping on wheels (£200 for components), but I am being economic with the build.And I'm not oblivious to the dangers of a badly built wheel, but sometimes you just want to have a go at doing something without incurring too much cost. I am not concerned about the dishing but might have to relent and buy a tensiometer if that side isn't as I want. As you said in a recent post " this ain't the space shuttle". Thanks for the input.

Jet wash a road bike?...noooooooooooooo :D

Matthew, I'm not trying to take over your thread, so I'll butt out.
  • dennisn
    6wheels wrote:
    :dennisn,
    Actually, I'm not skimping on wheels (£200 for components), but I am being economic with the build.And I'm not oblivious to the dangers of a badly built wheel, but sometimes you just want to have a go at doing something without incurring too much cost. I am not concerned about the dishing but might have to relent and buy a tensiometer if that side isn't as I want. As you said in a recent post " this ain't the space shuttle". Thanks for the input.

How would know "..if that side(is or) isn't as I want." without a tension meter?
    Also "...not concerned about the dishing..."? How does that translate into a well built wheel?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    6wheels: no problem at all - the more opinions the merrier on this thread: I'm more than happy to have as many opinions/as much advice as possible floating around is it will help us all embarking on our first wheel builds.

Please - feel free to post away.

In fact its really good to see how many approaches there are to this.

I'm going to have a long read over the next few days/pick people's brans over this: work is tying me up at the moment but this will be squeezed (somehow!) into it all.

Look forward to hearing how this goes for everyone.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    dennisn,

I should have said, i'm not concerned(actually doing it) with centralising the rim to the locknuts, fairly easy I think.

You have to remember that tensiometers for bicycle wheels haven't been around for that much time, so, sound and feel are your tools.

For anyone who's remotely interested,I thought I'd put these links up...

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

https://deetsman.wordpress.com/tag/wheel-building/

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
  • dennisn
    6wheels wrote:
    dennisn,

I should have said, i'm not concerned(actually doing it) with centralising the rim to the locknuts, fairly easy I think.

You have to remember that tensiometers for bicycle wheels haven't been around for that much time, so, sound and feel are your tools.

For anyone who's remotely interested,I thought I'd put these links up...

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

https://deetsman.wordpress.com/tag/wheel-building/

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

You may build a wheel however you like(not that I need to give you permission). I would ask though, what is the point in ignoring tools that will help you and make the job easier, not to mention giving you an accurate and very well tensioned wheel? I don't see the point? It seems that you're saying "all I really need in a computer is a abacuss". Why not take advantage of new developments in tools? I would bet you have taken advantage of new developments in bike materials(i.e carbon everything)? :?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    So, have you done it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • dennisn
    So, have you done it?

Me???
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    No, the OP
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Nope - the wheel is still in the clamp in the garage, the hub is still in the packet it arrived in - have been too busy with work since I received the parts so hope to start end of next week.

Will keep you updated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    all done - took 3hrs, new hub fitted, spokes done, turned, dished, double checked by an ex pro mechanic friend who grunted in approval.

All relatively simple and straight forward - no great trials or dramas really.

thank you very much everyone for help and advice - much appreciated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If you know an ex pro mechanic, I'm surprised they did not offer advice before you went to the forum?

oh and nothing ever happens without pictures :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    If you know an ex pro mechanic, I'm surprised they did not offer advice before you went to the forum?

oh and nothing ever happens without pictures :wink:

He's been away, I'm just back from work (see previous posts) and we are both to each other of the very "have a look around, see what you can work out, experiment and come back to me" kind of people in our respective fields. I asked him advice, he told me what he thought (which was most of the advice I followed) and then thought I'd ping around and get some more ideas/suggestions/hints and tips.

I used all his tools though and he advised on some bits - does that count as assistance?

What kind of pictures would you like - I can take a picture of a wheel in the workshop if you like - happy to oblige where I can.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.