Davina beyond breaking point

Comments

• KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Joeblack wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact it takes a celebrity to do something like this before the majority of the country even considers donating to charity

That's exactly the reason she should be commended for doing it. She has put fund raising in the public eye and by doing so raised over £1M for charity, much of which will go to help support people who are in dire need of help.

I don't care what celebrity does it, or what their motives are. I know that if I was in a position to raise £1M for charity I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Actually it turns out to be over £2 million raised by her alone. Not too shabby for someone 'ticking off a celebrity box' eh?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Jeez, there are some dicks on here !
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    MattC59 wrote:
    Jeez, there are some dicks on here !
    :roll:

+100000000000

Got peed off and slightly depressed after the first page or two of this thread with some of the comments...thankfully enough people have stood up to the mail readers to put a smile on my face now.

+1 to the forum for that ;)
  • Just watched it on iplayer.

Yes it would be harder for the aversge person without trainer, coach, cameras crowds, physio etc.
    Yes, there may have been some playing to the cameras.

Who cares?

She raised loads of money.
    Riding those distances for a novice is a major achievement.
    Doing if in that weather shows guts.
    Doing those distances in that weather on consecutive days at her age shows real guts.

She deserves rule five achievement of the year.
    And she gets a rule nine award.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    tonye_n wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.

This is the kind of snobbish & rubbish talk that gives seasoned roadies a bad name. :roll:

Well done to the gal.
    At least she is covering serious miles, raising funds, creating awareness of a British brand etc.

-Serious miles with all the benefits of professional coaching. We should all be so lucky
    -How much was spent on her training/equipment/production budget?
    -Beacon just paint open mould frames. Hardly new and certainly doesn't make me proud to be British.

But hey, I'm hardly the target audience so whatever.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Not sure why anyone would complain about this. If you are not interested don't watch and don't donate.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    My word there are some big chips on some shoulders in this thread. Mind you thats cyclists for you.
  • Kids dying from preventable diseases, people from all backgrounds and in difficult situations needing help. £51.2m raised. Like those involved or not, surely that is all that matters?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I didn't see the program but remember the troubles she was having when was doing it. I must admit to being a bit cynical about these things, they are mostly about keeping a celebrity in the news for themselves.

However, on a slight tangent, I am not sure they are quite as bad as 'normal' people who want you to sponsor them to climb Kilimanjaro for example for charity. The first £3000 raised goes to pay for their 'trip of a lifetime' and charity gets a bit at the end.

I wonder how much the support costs were for the ride, the trip to Kenya etc.? I had an unrelated chat with a guy the other day and he highlighted the high operational costs for many charities. The amount that actually goes to the good cause is very variable. I think Cancer Research UK, for instance, swallow up around 25% in operational costs.

Always worth considering when donating money I should think. I watched the program last night and have no problem with what she did and how she did it. My one question I suppose is how one can expose oneself to some of the rawer things in life, and then go back to a day job of fronting Big Brother. Once you've seen what really matters in life that must be tough.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    phreak wrote:
    My one question I suppose is how one can expose oneself to some of the rawer things in life, and then go back to a day job of fronting Big Brother. Once you've seen what really matters in life that must be tough.

Given the amount of blubbering she does (even live on TV last night) i'd imagine its pretty hard for her. Still, i guess if i was in her shoes and i could raise £2m plus to allow others to give the help that's really needed out on the ground in Africa etc, then i think i could sleep quite a bit sounder at night. I dont like her - but good on her (even if i got fed up of her whinging constantly).

Some on here would seemingly prefer her to have done nothing and raise nothing!! Regardless of the production costs - its probably not much compared to the £50m+ raised by Sportrelief so far. Money well spent putting on Sport Relief than endless episodes of that Eastenders drivel surely?? 8)
  • pauljink
    pauljink Posts: 51
    Joeblack wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact it takes a celebrity to do something like this before the majority of the country even considers donating to charity,

She did well and as previously said she's raised a million for charity that wouldn't have been there if she hadn't done this but just like David Williams her dwindling career will benefit from it, I'm not presuming to say that's why she did it mind you

Why not answer your own question.

Why does it take a celebrity to do something for you to consider donating to charity?
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Its the media production that makes us donate. The background music, interviews, sad storys etc all told to us by a familiar face.

The same will happen when they show braveheart the night before the independance vote. It will make a lot of voters mind up for them. :D
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    pauljink wrote:
    Joeblack wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact it takes a celebrity to do something like this before the majority of the country even considers donating to charity,

She did well and as previously said she's raised a million for charity that wouldn't have been there if she hadn't done this but just like David Williams her dwindling career will benefit from it, I'm not presuming to say that's why she did it mind you

Why not answer your own question.

Why does it take a celebrity to do something for you to consider donating to charity?

It doesn't, iv given to charity through monthly payments for years, plus I served in west Africa before going to Iraq in 2004 so have done my part on the front line as well.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • It was a good effort for a really tough challenge (especially at that time of year) and it's good to see she raised so much money from it.

My only annoyance is the fact that is has to be made so dramatic to encourage the public to make donations. I wish they could do this challenge and others in such a way that would encourage people to get out there and enjoy cycling, running, lake swimming or other outdoor activities for themselves. This just reenforced the cycling, running, etc is really hard so it puts off a section of the general public. Yes it may not raise as much money but getting more people outside, active and enjoying these activities will give a much bigger benefit overall to the country!
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Well I got a bit bored of reading all the negative comments...jesus chaps...!!! What an amazing 'physical' and 'mental' achievement for her. I think she is an inspiration...she gives people like me (a women fairly new to cycling) the motivation to get out there and do more and see what I am capable of.
    I don't care if she had support crew and help...she still had to damn well push those pedals, run every step of a marathon and swim that distance to breaking point..the physical effort was hers and hers alone. I don't care how she got there, she did it and that is all that matters.
    We need more people like her in the world and I wish I had one ounce of her bollocks and determination.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    Baby Trek wrote:
    Well I got a bit bored of reading all the negative comments...jesus chaps...!!! What an amazing 'physical' and 'mental' achievement for her. I think she is an inspiration...she gives people like me (a women fairly new to cycling) the motivation to get out there and do more and see what I am capable of.
    I don't care if she had support crew and help...she still had to damn well push those pedals, run every step of a marathon and swim that distance to breaking point..the physical effort was hers and hers alone. I don't care how she got there, she did it and that is all that matters.
    We need more people like her in the world and I wish I had one ounce of her **** and determination.

Bravo! Sod all the naysayers & negative people, BabyTrek has pretty much nailed it with those comments.

Also, the people who claim not to like her. You don't even KNOW her man!! You are going by what you see on the telly programmes she appears on, little else. Maybe if she moped around sating how she didn't like this & thought this person was rubbish, & whats the point in that, these people might like her.

I guess these same people were critical of Eddie Izard running all those marathons in a row. You just make me sad & one of the reasons I have come to despise this country now. So many people have nothing good to say about anything anymore, can only see negatives & only seem to want to criticise. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be British.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    + 1 Baby trek & nunowoolmez
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    themekon wrote:
    My word there are some big chips on some shoulders in this thread. Mind you thats cyclists for you.

true.

some are complete dicks.
    Solitary sport, inflated egos, etc. Makes for a right pr*ck sometimes.

I thought it was a great achievement.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Where this country has gone to the dogs is the public obsession with self-flagellation which certainly since the death of Princess Diana has become de rigeur where not participating in the self-flagellation leaves you open to criticism.
    You forgot to mention the state of house prices and the MMR jab cover up.

The main issue I have with the challenge is that my fantasies of looking like Ian Stannard riding through the rain, hail and snow today have been dashed by the realisation that I probably looked more like Davina! :)
  • Grill
    Baby Trek wrote:
    We need more people like her in the world and I wish I had one ounce of her **** and determination.

Bravo! Sod all the naysayers & negative people, BabyTrek has pretty much nailed it with those comments.

Also, the people who claim not to like her. You don't even KNOW her man!! You are going by what you see on the telly programmes she appears on, little else. Maybe if she moped around sating how she didn't like this & thought this person was rubbish, & whats the point in that, these people might like her.

I guess these same people were critical of Eddie Izard running all those marathons in a row. You just make me sad & one of the reasons I have come to despise this country now. So many people have nothing good to say about anything anymore, can only see negatives & only seem to want to criticise. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be British.

Context is everything. Let's not forget we're on a cycling forum. All of my comments are to do with the OP's original comment:
    sigorman85 wrote:
    Them conditions she was riding in looked horrid and to spend 10 hours on the bike I take my hat off to you

Fact is anyone on here could do that ride (this is the cycle bit I'm talking about now) in those conditions. Swimming and running... not so much.

Now what Eddie Izzard did is close to superhuman and I applaud him for it.

As for the charity side, well we all have our own opinions about that.
  • Tom_UK
    Tom_UK Posts: 171
    I cannot believe people are actually having a dig at Davina for doing this?
    Easy to say when sat in your comfy chair preparing for your 30 mile Sunday club run to the nearest tea/cake stop aye?
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Has anyone got the popcorn yet?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Grill
    sigorman85 wrote:

Oi, you started it! :lol:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Grill wrote:
    sigorman85 wrote:

Oi, you started it! :lol:

No no I think you'll find it was you yourself that kicked all this off. :wink: Three cheers for Davina, hip-hip...........
  • gazhilla
    gazhilla Posts: 48
    Well, I think the girl did good, tough first day, tough walks and runs and having swim in Windermere in winter, a really tough swim. Off 3 months training, she rocked in my eyes.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    It may have been hard and she may have raised loads for charity, but I'm not arsed. If she wants to do that stuff - whatever her motive - fine.

Shame that it's hard to dodge the BBC's boasting about such stuff though. I find telethons really dull and they get every part of their empire shouting about these events, so it's compulsory to hear about it. I'm sure they do this more than they used to, or at least dragoon people from every bit of the service into taking part. Can't knock the charity fundraising angle, but altruism doesn't necessarily make for good entertainment.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Admirable effort but, of course, very different to what we do. We don't get all the training support and time off. When we do our rides, we don't have support vehicles right behind us and a massuese waiting for us at an expensive hotel at the end of the ride (well I don't!).

But then if the weather is crap, I can just close the curtains and have a lie in if I want to and if I do go out, it is my choice and it is my chosen hobby even if it is a gittish one at times.

So, much respect to Davina - who'd want to trade places for that challenge? But that said, I caught the programme a couple of days ago and started watching it on the Derbyshire ride section and after 5 minutes I turned over - it was just too cringeworthy to watch.
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    The same will happen when they show braveheart the night before the independance vote. It will make a lot of voters mind up for them. :D

Lol - you might have something there. I can see Braveheart being shown on all channels except BBC and that being used by Salmond as an example of why Scotland should be independent :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Rolf F wrote:
    Admirable effort but, of course, very different to what we do. We don't get all the training support and time off. When we do our rides, we don't have support vehicles right behind us and a massuese waiting for us at an expensive hotel at the end of the ride (well I don't!).

But then if the weather is crap, I can just close the curtains and have a lie in if I want to and if I do go out, it is my choice and it is my chosen hobby even if it is a gittish one at times.

So, much respect to Davina - who'd want to trade places for that challenge? But that said, I caught the programme a couple of days ago and started watching it on the Derbyshire ride section and after 5 minutes I turned over - it was just too cringeworthy to watch.
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

Lol - you might have something there. I can see Braveheart being shown on all channels except BBC and that being used by Salmond as an example of why Scotland should be independent :lol:

Not sure why someone feel the urge to compare our hobby/passion with Davina's fundrising effort. It seems pretty pointless.
    Personally I won't give her a penny, not because she doesn't deserve it, but because these large fundrising events have no reason to exist in my books. If wealth was better distributed instead of sitting in uneven pockets and taxation adequate to the real needs, we wouldn't need all these clowns or gladiators performing for our perverse enjoyment. I won't support a rotten system
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Buckie2k5 wrote:

Not sure why someone feel the urge to compare our hobby/passion with Davina's fundrising effort. It seems pretty pointless.

Why not? The point is, irrespective of the rights and wrongs about what is needed here, she committed to doing something that was pretty tough. People can point out that it was no different to what we do for our personal enjoyment - all I'm saying is that it isn't the same thing for her as it is for us. You could get me to go for a bike ride in crap weather because that is what I do - it would be much harder (probably impossible!) to get me to swim across a lake in Cumbria in February.

And, as for pointless, isn't this whole forum pretty pointless? Isn't your blog pretty pointless? Who really, deep down, gives a stuff about bike wheels after all? They don't matter - as long as they go round when you pedal, they are good. There's not much we do that has any point to it. Except in this case Davina raising money for a good cause even if maybe it shouldn't in an ideal world be needed.

Who's asking you to support a rotten system? I'm not. I'm not supporting it much myself in this specific case. But we don't live in a perfect world so what do we do? I'm not sure that your stand against the system is actually helping the people who need help more than you would by contributing but maybe you are doing something else constructive.
    Faster than a tent.......