Davina beyond breaking point

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone else watching this? Them conditions she was riding in looked horrid and to spend 10 hours on the bike I take my hat off to you
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• +1 130mls in those conditions & its only Day1 chapeau Davina!
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    What bike is she on?
  • Dunno there was a thread on here when she did it. Think it was a smaller British make
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Both her and her trainer are riding Beacon Bikes. Bit of a coup for them...oh, and fair play DM 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    I think its a Beacon Bike from what little I can see of it. Chapeau indeed to Davina, what a gal.

Edit: Beaten to it! Just seen a side shot and definately Beacon, runnng a bit behind on Sky +
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Definitely a good coup for Beacon. Some good things showing for those guys of late!

n8xq5rsq
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Very good them conditions was horrible for the first day, think she also fell off as had a rip in the bib tights, think gore did well out of it as well,
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    A fantastic effort, well done to her.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Grill wrote:
    Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.
    True, but these committed audaxers you are talking about have been cycling for years; it is their life in many cases, or at least their passion. She's just trying it out and for someone like that, well done. Surely even you were a begginer once
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    She's one of the most irritating people, sure enough, but I raise my hat to her for what she did. Properly impressive and selfless charity raising despite what the cynics say.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I can't stand the woman,never have been able to.After watching tonight.....still can't stand the woman BUT have to admit a bit of respect where respect is due.
    500 miles in 7days ride/swim/walk.Can't fault her 8)
    Grill wrote:

Well you've sort of answered your own statement with the your first sentence.They do it "all the time" she doesn't :wink:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Rough and tough audaxer here who can ride 1000miles plus in a week.

No flipping way would I do that challenge in February! Getting in a fecking lake and swimming for a mile and a half?

Running? Any distance. No thanks.

She's annoying and I can't stand her, but I can't help but to admire her for her guts. Good on her.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Grill wrote:

I guess they do, but then it wouldn't be quite the same challenge for them would it? Nor would it generate the same public interest and nor would it raise the same amount of money for charity.

There isn't really a negative here, unless your glass is really really empty.....
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cornerblock
    Grill wrote:

And so it begins.
  • Can't stand the celebrity self-flagellation and Davina is very good at self-flagellation and letting everyone know how much she's suffering for doing it.

We also had that Alex Whatsherface climbing a rock who was just as bad for showing her suffering. I was hoping she'd fall off not because I wish her ill but just to bring an end to the constant line of celebrities wanting to show us how human they are. They're celebrities, they could raise money for charity without such acts.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My comment was simply in regards to the cycling bit. The swimming and running is something else. Let's keep in mind that she trained for 6 months with a coach and I'm sure most of us would complete the challenge if we had the same benefits.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cornerblock
    They're celebrities, they could raise money for charity without such acts.

Could they raise as much though? Who cares if she has an annoying presenting style, do what I do and avoid her TV shows, it's not difficult. The important bit is that money is being donated and going to people who need it.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Jeez, can't we just commend someone for doing something good, without gaving to sl*g them off too? Yes Davina is a celebrity but she is also a human being like you & I. It's not her fault she has had the career she ha, she has dine well, so what. Well done to her, this should not be used against her. Showing stuff like this on telly opens the projects & the whole reason she is doing it, up to the masses & the appeal can raise much more this way.

I always found Davina very irritating, but this showed her to be a really nice wholesome women, very vulnerable, very open, but stoic & gutsy with it. She came across very likeable i thought. That swim was horrendous though!

For those having a go at these celebs suffering on camera, well, it's because they are suffering. They are taking on mammoth physical challenges & are having a camera thrust in their direction while they are doing it. The average Joe would be exactly the same.

Why can't people just applaud someone for doing something positive without the need to be so negative toward them. Sign o the times I suppose, todays society has gone to the dogs...

Well done Davina & Alex, you made me proud
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Well said ^^^^^
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    I tilt my hat to DM and the team! Very commendable to brave those conditions over that distance.
    Well done Davina.
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Did anyone see the time she bungy jumped out of a helicopter over the grand canyon?

No, stop laughing its not a joke, she did it on that dare programme years ago. When the guy chickened out she jumped instead. Just stood up, said something like fluff it & went. Took my hat off that day.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Irritating Z list celebrity. I see L'Oriel are rerunning their adverts with DM on the commercial channels. Nice earner for some.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    edited March 2014
    For those having a go at these celebs suffering on camera, well, it's because they are suffering. They are taking on mammoth physical challenges & are having a camera thrust in their direction while they are doing it. The average Joe would be exactly the same.

Why can't people just applaud someone for doing something positive without the need to be so negative toward them. Sign o the times I suppose, todays society has gone to the dogs...
    How come people like David Walliams, Eddie Izzard and Helen Skelton can take on such challenges and do so with dignity always mindful of whatever they may be suffering it pales in comparison to the suffering of others? There's no doubt that Davina and Alex are very needy people and maybe that's what the organisers want; people who will break under pressure rather than those capable of taking on a challenge stoically recognising that in the grand scheme of things the task in hand is pretty trivial.

I save my energies for the millions of volunteers and carers who every day make a difference to the lives of others, often without recognition or reward and often at a cost to their own wellbeing and their life chances simply because they care.

Where this country has gone to the dogs is the public obsession with self-flagellation which certainly since the death of Princess Diana has become de rigeur where not participating in the self-flagellation leaves you open to criticism. Maybe seeing the occasional celebrity suffering for a few days satisfies a need for humbling and ticks a box that for some allows them to not have to face up to the real suffering happening on our doorsteps every day.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

I save my energies for the millions of volunteers and carers who every day make a difference to the lives of others, often without recognition or reward and often at a cost to their own wellbeing and their life chances simply because they care.

Well said.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    A lot of negativity for someone doing something positive? Rich, famous or irritating matters not a jot imo. She has taken on a challenge and gone out of her comfort zone to do something good. It deserves some credit.

Anyway, basically I agree with what nunowoolmez said.
  • cornerblock

What does this mean? Seems to me that you are putting the same amount of energy into having a pop at someone for doing a good deed as others are doing in just simply saying 'well done or fair play', if not more. In fact you are probably wasting your energy as you are commenting on something you clearly dislike. Why even bother? That way you would really be saving all of your "energy" for the people who you deem to genuinely care about those less fortunate.

I have no time for the shallow world of celebrity but sometimes it's better to look at the bigger picture. If the money raised goes towards helping a girl like the one shown last night having the opportunity to go to school, getting the books she needs and then hopefully one day fulfilling her dream of becoming a doctor then it's all good.

What we who take such things as education for granted think of 'people on the telly' seems pretty futile in comparison.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    As with all these challenges, if the person involved actually trained properly they'd be able to do it with much less drama. But that'd be crap TV and wouldn't make folk donate.

There's a standard recipe of celebrity pushing themselves + sad stories from Africa that obviously works when it comes to raking in the donations.
    More problems but still living....
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Jeez, tough crowd.

To all those people slagging off celebrity fundraising.

Imagine you're in one of the many needy groups that benefit enormously from these acticvities and someone says, "Here's a grant for £10,000. Oh and by the way, a load of celebrities helped raise it".

You'd turn it down wouldn't you.

Yeah right.

I'm not more a fan of most of these people than the next person but IMHO the end justifies the means. Sport Relief raised £50m last time. Do you think it would have raised anywhere near that without all the celebrity hoo-haa ?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Chapeau to her but she could have spent a week digging the rocks in the African quarry and getting money per tonne for charity. She had support vehicles front and back and police closing the road ahead of her in urban areas. As soon as she got off the bike her support team put her in a bus and I'll bet a mechanic got her bike ready for the next day and her kit was washed/replaced. She won't have stood queuing in a café and the hotel her husband met her in was the Inn at Whitewell nr.Dunsop Bridge (not cheap). She had 3 months of training but she doesn't have a proper job ie 9 - 5, she is in showbiz so gets all the time she wants plus a trainer/motivator and I'll presume her children were looked after/taken to school during her 3 months so she could train. You can do a lot in 3 months if you have help like that
    M.Rushton