What bike to instill envy!

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Forget speed, performance, price etc.

What bike do you buy or build to make everyone else jealous?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Anything team issue.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Weird way to choose a bike, but I'll bite.

Custom built.

There are very few, even high end off the shelf bikes, that make me envious. But a really special custom bike with lots of individuality, that's some thing else.

A high end off the shelf bike takes money, nothing more.

A really great custom bike takes imagination, vision, patience (and money).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    custom + shiny
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Trying to instil envy in others should not the the aim. Getting a bike that impress's you should be, after all you are the one riding it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Trying to instil envy in others should not the the aim. Getting a bike that impress's you should be, after all you are the one riding it.
    Yes, but what if you are shallow and more easily influenced by others opinions than your own?

Let me rephrase?

What bike would make you jealous? Pictures would be nice.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    A high end off the shelf bike takes money, nothing more.
    A really great custom bike takes imagination, vision, patience (and money).
    I like your way of thinking.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    MCip RB1k
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I ride a de rosa superking r, turns a few heads.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I like a Look and a Colnago but there's a Feather in the bikes section that looks like the dogs, I really like the look of a quality custom built bike and I feel like I'll be making a move in that direction in the future.
    Put a Ferrari next to an E type and know where the crowd will gather.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Riding a crap bike past people on a more expensive bike is more often a better way to make people jealous
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    mfin wrote:
    Riding a crap bike past people on a more expensive bike is more often a better way to make people jealous

Hmm...that's just snobbery.

But buying a bike just to make folk jealous is just a wee bit sad. Ride what you can and ride with a smile on your face!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Is this hypothetical or are you so shallow that you'll google what responses you get, see which is the most bling bike and then buy that one?

I never really get envious of other peoples bikes - I just love bikes so when I see a really nice one I feel happy for the person who will get to ride it every day. I'd also never mock anyone who turned up for a club run with a £150 Tesco road bike or a 'vintage' steed that looks like it was recovered from an allotment clearance. Turning the pedals is where I get my kicks from. Now envy of those people that can do it faster than me, that's a different story :evil: :wink::wink:

Agree with the comments on custom bikes - IMO they always seem that little bit more special to perv at.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Agree, the only envy I get is of other people's performance, that's a good reason to love cycling, it's an egalitarian sport. Our club has had a recently joined beginner cyclist who is just incredible, blows a lot of highly trained A3 riders out of the water already. You can see this gets a few peoples hackles up, the older club members are wise enough to just delight in his natural ability.

You can ride what you like but people will chuckle as you are passed by the guy on his Triban 3 who is fitter and trains harder (I would say this only applies if you've spent more than £1500 on your bike as any more than that is getting into bling territory).
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Just stick some expensive 50mm carbon tubs on. Make any bike look cooler.

Seen a Specialized Allez once with Lightweight Meilenstein tubulars and full Dura Ace. That looked amazing even though the frame was worth less than the shifters!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Anything custom, shiny and with obvious a thought that's gone into the component choices.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:

Hmm...that's just snobbery.

But buying a bike just to make folk jealous is just a wee bit sad. Ride what you can and ride with a smile on your face!

:) What's snobbery about overtaking expensive bikes on a crap one? ...maybe you read it as the opposite?
  • GGBiker wrote:
    You can ride what you like but people will chuckle as you are passed by the guy on his Triban 3 who is fitter and trains harder. (I would say this only applies if you've spent more than £1500 on your bike as any more than that is getting into bling territory).

Will they?

I'm as slow as a bus. I've just bought a new bike for more than your £1500 threashold to replace my starter bike. I'm still as slow as a bus. I will continue to be overtaken by old steel bike man, stick thin 6' 6" man, and 16 year old on junior sized bike. I wasn't aware that it was a race. I would've cycled more.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I had a moment's jealousy the other day when one of the cycling group pulled out his iphone and showed us his photo of a Lotus bike (the one which was banned all those years ago) affixed to his meeting room wall. Still looks an astonishing piece of original engineering.

Some of the Feather bike images look fab.

When I'm wheezing my way up a hill, a Ducati tends to bring out the envy gene in me!!

Peter
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    It's nice to see a top-end frame that has been built up by the owner with carefully chosen, coordinated parts, and which fits perfectly. As opposed to an off-the-shelf build with a huge stack of spacers and the saddle at a bizarre height and/or angle...
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    GGBiker wrote:
    You can ride what you like but people will chuckle as you are passed by the guy on his Triban 3 who is fitter and trains harder (I would say this only applies if you've spent more than £1500 on your bike as any more than that is getting into bling territory).
    The real irony of this attitude is that, depending on where they are in their mesocycle, anyone following a proper, serious training plan is likely to be doing a lot of riding in their zone 1, ie less than, say, 150W for a lighter cyclist.
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    I ride a Orbit Gold Medal, that i picked up for free after it was converted into a fixie. i sand blasted and lacquered it without paint. Needless to say £60 all in and it gets positive comments everywhere it goes.

As for cycling past a high end bike, as long as they look like they can handle there machine and there not wearing full sky team regalia i don't care.

Any top quality Bianchi or De Rosa gets the envy going for me though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've seen lots of bike on here and in real life that I liked but I've never seen one I'd swap my bike for.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Anything Parlee has me looking..
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    jane90 wrote:
    The real irony of this attitude is that, depending on where they are in their mesocycle, anyone following a proper, serious training plan is likely to be doing a lot of riding in their zone 1, ie less than, say, 150W for a lighter cyclist.

what ever happened to riding for fun, fitness, enjoyment, fresh air, nice scenery and a chat with your mates?

Mesocycle, training plan, zone 1 - Pish and nonsense :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited March 2014
    The only cyclists I'm envious of are those out riding their bikes when I can't for whatever reason. I own my dream bike but it's not 'custom' or the most bling, I suspect no one really covets it like I do.

I do 'easy' rides, usually up to 3 hrs on empty with no food taken on the ride. I get overtaken by all sorts of folk.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    sungod wrote:
    custom + shiny

My rear stays make you jealous then :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    t4tomo wrote:
    jane90 wrote:

what ever happened to riding for fun, fitness, enjoyment, fresh air, nice scenery and a chat with your mates?

Mesocycle, training plan, zone 1 - Pish and nonsense :D
    You're quite right, that has a lot to recommend it too. I did it for a year and enjoyed it before, against my better judgement, I decided I missed the challenge of competition.

My point was simply, as NapoleonD has also pointed out, how silly it is to see someone riding slowly on a nice bike and to make any sort of judgement about their fitness, or indeed, anything else about them.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    When you're buying a new bike or just admiring one, tech lust kicks in and you start looking at prettier and more up to date shapes, pain jobs and specifications. It seems important and you assume your enjoyment of cycling will be reduced if you end up with a lesser bike. Surely the guys with better bikes must enjoy cycling more? Surely better is better? In reality it's cycling we enjoy, not our bikes as such. Maybe some people enjoy their bikes as objects but that's not cycling. I'm an engineer and I do like the technical side of bikes but that's mostly something to think about when I'm procrastinating over my next bike online at work (not that I'd do that). It's not something that matters all that much in reality when you're out on the road. So long as your bike is functionally well suited to you, the rest isn't really that important. A bike can ruin a great ride but it can't make one.

Getting fussed about the spec and appearance of your bike doesn't make you a cyclist any more than standing around a car park with blinged up hatchbacks makes you a driver.

Just my opinion you understand but does anyone else agree?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I see no point envying someone else's custom bike - it won't fit me.....