End of Cyclismas

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Never really got on with this mob, but this goodbye post from Lesli is quite brutal

http://www.cyclismas.com/biscuits/the-end-of-the-road/

I guess the lesson is if you hang out with a bunch of people who basically just do unpleasantness for laughs, you might find out they're unpleasant people
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Exactly one year ago, I was finalizing travel plans to head to England to launch the Trek-Cyclismas Pro Commute Team project. It was an ambitious and innovative concept hatched at the London Bike Show in January of 2013 – to sponsor a team of ordinary people who cycled to work as if they were a “professional” team of commuters and outfit them like a pro cycling team. They’d have bikes, kit, a DS, training camps, and “races.” The goal was to demonstrate through humorous short videos, blogs, photos, and other social media that cycling to work was not only a viable transportation option, but that it could be awesome and fun. More people on bikes. Cool, huh?

WIth a business model like that, I'm stunned they couldn't turn a profit.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Oh well, FF will be gutted :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    yeah I erm hmmm....

I struggle to sympathise to be honest.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That's probably the most authentic thing she's published. Cynicism - their entire reason for being - has a short shelf-life for readers, and limited appeal for advertisers/sponsors. (Inner Ring was always much more popular.) And it's typically amateurish to name names in public.

"Oh, but I have memories. Memories of starting a group ride up Mt. Ventoux with Paul Kimmage, Dave Smith and Justin Pickens, only to have them drop my ass within the first mile out of Bedouin and let me spend the remaining three hours toiling up the mountainside all by myself. Memories of arriving in Alpe d’Huez all ready to ride that epic climb only to discover that my “friends” had neglected to pack my gear from our stay in Valreas and I didn’t have any cycling shoes or a helmet. Memories of feeling like a wallet with legs and not much more for pretty much the entire trip."
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The fatal mix of stupidity and vanity.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    I enjoy how people still defend the Kimmage fund, like it was some kind of noble enterprise.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    That's probably the most authentic thing she's published. Cynicism - their entire reason for being - has a short shelf-life for readers, and limited appeal for advertisers/sponsors. (Inner Ring was always much more popular.) And it's typically amateurish to name names in public.

"Oh, but I have memories. Memories of starting a group ride up Mt. Ventoux with Paul Kimmage, Dave Smith and Justin Pickens, only to have them drop my ass within the first mile out of Bedouin and let me spend the remaining three hours toiling up the mountainside all by myself. Memories of arriving in Alpe d’Huez all ready to ride that epic climb only to discover that my “friends” had neglected to pack my gear from our stay in Valreas and I didn’t have any cycling shoes or a helmet. Memories of feeling like a wallet with legs and not much more for pretty much the entire trip."

Use of the word "epic" always puts me on edge...

Plus, 3 hours to get up Mont Ventoux?! And look after your own fupping shoes!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Macaloon wrote:

wrong kinda dope maybe? :lol:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited March 2014
    LutherB wrote:

Fear and Loathing on Mt Ventoux.
    (Pity Hunter S didn't cover cycling)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Bat country

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:

Hee Hee, Madame Cyclismas, don't go looking for sympathy, you ain't gonna find much here at BR Towers

3 hours indeed...
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Macaloon wrote:
    LutherB wrote:

Fear and Loathing on Mt Ventoux.
    (Pity Hunter S didn't cover cycling)

:lol:
  • Macaloon wrote:

Hee Hee, Madame Cyclismas, don't go looking for sympathy, you ain't gonna find much here at BR Towers

3 hours indeed...

On one of the very best days of my modest cycling life, I got up Mont Ventoux in an hour and 10 minutes. If you're going to take 3 times that, you can't really moan when a former pro won't sit eating sarnies whilst you grind your way up.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Must confess this has all largely passed me by.

Was this the website that did those spoof news articles that suckered n00bs?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm very glad of this, must be one of the smuggest people in cycling.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Is it ignorant not knowing what the heck this site is about and people associated with it - other than that dude stealing the fund money?
  • ddraver

Hey! Some very intelligent Geologists got suckered once or twice too!! :oops: :oops:

I can't remember the last time i went on it though, or even heard anyone mention it...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

Hey! Some very intelligent Geologists got suckered once or twice too!! :oops: :oops:
    At least it wasn't to the tune of $100k
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

I guess the lesson is if you hang out with a bunch of people who basically just do unpleasantness for laughs, you might find out they're unpleasant people

What unpleasantness did they do for laughs?
  • ddraver
    Well they generally just made snide accusations whilst pretending to hide behind the whole "asking questions" or "we re only doing whats best for the sport"

One Team in particular riled them as you can imagine. They were responsible for the whole Plastergate with Wiggins.

If you imagine CN if it was actually run by the clinic, directed by UCI_Overlord and edited by @festinagirl in fill *innocent face* mode you'd be in the right ballpark. They actually became quite a big deal and a lot of good smaller blogs started to get absorbed into the mess until the whole Kimmage Fund debacle broke. They were masters of throwing out the wild accusation and then trying to hide behind the "smothering debate" or "enforcing omerta" when people called them out on it tactic

In a nutshell they constantly allowed "satire" to become "snide nonsense"
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    . They actually became quite a big deal a

Should spend their ill gotten gains on a load of t-shirts then.

im_kind_of_a_big_deal_on_the_internet_basic_tshirt-r472baf3665e14c988e7e41e795bbf595_va6lr_512.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    one of them, pretty sure it was cyclimas, point blank told Fran Millar she was a liar, even after she posted a pictre of the offical doping control slip, saying there was blood taken.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Can someone name the nasty people who screwed her over? Just need to have them for reference in case they pop up elsewhere. Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Also does anyone know why Velonation hasnt posted a news article since Feb 23rd?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    sjmclean wrote:
    one of them, pretty sure it was cyclimas, point blank told Fran Millar she was a liar, even after she posted a pictre of the offical doping control slip, saying there was blood taken.

Yeah, and that was AFTER they'd accused Ned Boulting of deliberately ignoring the plaster on Wiggins arm (Omertà!) during his interview with Wiggins when the latter was on the massage table the night before the final stage of the Tour.

Ned! Omertà!
  • RichN95.
    sjmclean wrote:
    And that was the bloke who ran off with all the money.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Also does anyone know why Velonation hasnt posted a news article since Feb 23rd?

Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike · Feb 27
    People have been asking what's the situation with VeloNation - site owner may sell it, hence the lack of recent updates.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks TWH.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Can someone name the nasty people who screwed her over? Just need to have them for reference in case they pop up elsewhere. Thanks.

Real names. no

Twitter names include UCI Overlord obviously (Aaron Brown), fmk_rol, Frank Mercer....that's all i can remember actually, I didnt frequent the site. I think they re all pretty much out of the game now though
    - @ddraver