Dude, where's my plane?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
So, Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 remains missing and bizarrely, no one seems to have the slightest notion where it is or what happened to it (or if they do, they're not letting on).

Just about the only theory that can be wholly discounted is:

im-not-saying-it-was-aliens.jpg

but that aside, what ideas (sensible or otherwise) do people have as to what has happened to it?

(Yes, I realise that this is potentially insensitive, but it's not taboo, so let's hear what people have to say).
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited March 2014
    Hijacked by knowledgeable individuals (i.e. who understand avionics) and landed / crashed on land somewhere not yet discovered.

As to who? Well that is the bit that is open to debate in my mind. Captains HAVE deliberately crashed aircraft in the past (commercial passenger aircraft); all that at present is pure speculation, however access to the cockpit is meant to be almost impossible now.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I bet the Russians took it..
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Shame Herve Veillechaize, the little fella off Fantasy Island, is no more. He was great at spotting planes.
  • If you did want to crash your own plane, would you not plant it into a football stadium or similar, a bit like Tube jumpers who have a go on a Monday morning rush hour to piss off as many others as possible?

My theory is that Kim Jun Un is going to reveal a gold plated 777 shortly as his personal ride while all the passengers are stuck int he gulag building him another water park.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They need to ask a woman to look for it. This is typical male behaviour - look around all over the place and everywhere, in a panic, no matter how unlikely it is to be in some of those places, fail to find missing Boeing, so go back and look in all the places you already looked for it and still fail to find it. A woman would just work out where it was most likely to be and find it in five minutes. My bet is that it is parked infront of the control tower in Kuala Lumpur and nobody has noticed it is there - it never even took off.
    Dammit, what's that plane doing down there getting in the way of everyone. Don't they know we have a plane to find?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Rolf F wrote:
    They need to ask a woman to look for it.
    Not sure I agree; one of my ex girlfriends was quite capable of losing a 777-sized object in her own handbag...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This is a similar plot to a Tom Clancy novel I read a while back.
    In that an aeroplane (not airplane or plane but 'plane is OK) is hijacked in a way that was made to look like it crashed, even though no wreckage was found, and cloned by a government (Iraqi I think) to transport Ebola patients out of an African country to a lab to grow Ebola and use it as a biological weapon. It was then used by the Iraqis to get the top bods out of the country, which they intentionally destabilised, ahead of a coup.

Back to reality:
    The Chinese hijacked the 'plane and landed it in China. A Chinese ship will then find wreckage at sea (which they planted) from the "missing" 'plane and say it was shot down by a country near them and use the outrage as a reason to invade that country.
    The Chinese have been growing their military for a while now and could do with a little local war to test their new toys. I think it is Malaysia who have a new all singing, all dancing radar so they would be the target. As well as testing themselves against that radar, the Chinese would get a good look at that radar when they capture it, thus giving them a better idea what radar capabilities Western countries have.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    TGOTB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Not sure I agree; one of my ex girlfriends was quite capable of losing a 777-sized object in her own handbag...

Well saved at the end there :roll:

but its obvious ...ALIENS
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I disagree, she would not know where it is but keep telling us it's near an island, you know the green one, has water around, people live on it... When said plan is found, we would then be told it was exactly where she told us it was and she doesn't know what all the fuss is about.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tgotb
    itboffin wrote:
    Well saved at the end there :roll:
    :evil:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Found it in a post on Faecesbook:
    1002671_10203347725195318_627288612_n.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The BBC had a good article in the magazine today about possible theories, and then debunked the most logical one which was that something went wrong so it turned back to Langkawi. However because it was not a manual control which turned it, which is normal for a 'bad situation', but apparently the coordinates were input on the keyboard....unlikely if you were making drastic manoeuvres.

Sounds like someone knowledgeable who had a pilot on the inside hijacked it for either: valuable cargo (the contents haven't been disclosed) or apparent billionaire passengers
  • Anonymous
    gingaman - read my post then read point 5 here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26609687

Explains why the wired.com article doesn't quite stack up
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    How do 'officials' know it was reprogrammed and when was it reprogrammed? It doesn't mention that in the NY Times article
  • tgotb
    gingaman wrote:
    How do 'officials' know it was reprogrammed and when was it reprogrammed? It doesn't mention that in the NY Times article
    I suspect that there's quite a lot not being disclosed, probably for a very good reason...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Fire on board, crew would have shut the breakers then tried to bring systems back on line, this could explain lack of communication, they would have diverted and headed for the nearest long runway capable of landing a heavily loaded aircraft but sadly didn't make it. End of story.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I've heard quite a few people suggest pilot suicide which is, apparently, something that occurs more often.

Something about suicide being so taboo in Islam that pilots cause crashes to avoid the shame on them and their family.

I can't get my head around the idea that someone who wants to kill themselves is OK taking down a plane load of innocents, but here's an article about it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-22930150
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Hijacked. Messed with the transponder. Passengers managed to take back the plane and it crashed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    itboffin wrote:
    but its obvious ...ALIENS

Why is no one listening to this?

Its not terrorists - it would of been shouted from the rooftops, it could be the Chinese flexing their muscles, or will "find" the plane and it will be a miracle.

But more than likely its friggin ALIENS.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It went into the sea like a fecking dart.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-dJEQju2I
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    A pilot's thoughts and an interesting read.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh ... ical-fire/
  • Anonymous
    That was posted on page 1 and seems to have been debunked.

"A simple and wrong theory"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-26640114
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Graham. wrote:
    A pilot's thoughts and an interesting read.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh ... ical-fire/

Good post. Got me agreeing.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    A quote on BBC ticker

C. Bingham, England emails:
    "Prior to my retirement I spent 25 years commanding commercial ships and was involved in several search and rescue operations at sea. During all that time I never, ever, witnessed the breathtaking incompetence, misinterpretation of data, and misuse of expensive resources as those which have plagued the search for the missing airliner, and indeed the whole ongoing MH370 fiasco. Equally as worrying have been some of the, frankly half-baked and hopelessly ill-informed, opinions of many of the "experts" who I've seen interviewed in this connection on television."
  • tgotb
    coriordan wrote:
    :roll:
    I wonder how many times C.Bingham had to deal with a search area that was potentially 7,000 miles in diameter...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Obama is gonna find it:

small-obama-superman-transform-alex-ross.jpg

However, I for one welcome our Alien overlords who have proven their might by taking an aeroplane without explanation.

I bow to thee, use me as you wish.

Orion_slavegirl_ENT.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    If she is in charge, I obey.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• TGOTB wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    :roll:
    I wonder how many times C.Bingham had to deal with a search area that was potentially 7,000 miles in diameter...

I love the undiluted total absence of self consciousness that the C Bingham types exhibit. "All these half-baked and hopelessly ill-informed so-called "experts" - pah! I'm the real expert around here. And if only someone would pop round to my house and speak to me in the comfort of my armchair, they'd see that my half-baked and hopelessly ill-informed opinion is the *only* one worth listening to!"

Still, now we're looking at a ditching over water, I'm wondering what part Sharktopus had to play in all this. Find his lair, and you find the passengers. Mark my words.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rubertoe
    Has Tara Reid been spotted since the plane went down?

If not then it was clearly brought down by a sharknado. If she has been spotted then its still aliens.