Right, the footie is over where tf are you all?

2»

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Good call you made about non league and the top flight business rubbish.And yes,athletics doesn't get the support as football does but that doesn't mean footy is better,far from it.JLS and One Direction make millions but does that mean they are actually any good,nah.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'm not trying to make that claim. What I mean is that the Olympics are just as much of a money-centric event as football, in which a handful of top athletes will prosper while further down the pyramid you'll have the less talented/doped up to the eyeballs struggling to make a name for themselves. A bit like football but on a smaller scale.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    With athletics it really is a handful. Someone like Jessica Ennis at the time of the Olympics would have been earning from sponsorships what an average Premiership player is paid in a year. Usain Bolt is probably the only Olympian pulling in serious superstar cash. Probably only half a dozen occasions in your sporting career (Olympics, World Championships, etc.) have any chance of putting you on the world stage. What irritates me about the Olympics is the whole 'Olympic Family' thing, the army of officials/VIPs/sponsors and other hangers-on who (e.g.) hoovered up a huge proportion of the tickets for the 100m final in London (over 80% of the Olympic funding came from UK public money, but fewer than half the seats were available to us for this event).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's the best one in your humble opinion?

Cycling. Obviously.
    Participation - definitely. I was thinking about sports to watch.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Cycling. Obviously.

Cycling. Obviously.
  • Stevo_666
    RDW wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Cycling. Obviously.

Cycling. Obviously.
    Each to his own - much as I love my cycling (road, and MTB) I'm just notthat fussed about watching it, apart from maybe the World Cup downhill.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I mean this in the nicest possible way and don't take it wrong but you are a c*nt Stevo.

From a humble 'Boro boy to a Chelski season ticket holding Abramovic adoring Morenho shagger. Quite a rise to the top and I bet you only got there by sleeping your way up.
    I haven't got a season ticket, just a 'member' :)

I bet I'll be even more of a c*** on Saturday afternoon after Arsenal get whupped at Stamford Bridge.
    PS: apart from being true to my word, my powers of prediction are not too shabby :wink: