Do I need to touch my toes to ride a road bike?

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems like most people that have commented so far are anti the toe touch idea to test flexibility.

This surprises me a little because usually newbies posting on this site are recommended 'comfort' upright bikes without knowing anything about their physical situation, so saying go get any road bike is a bit odd by comparison.

I am in the buy any road bike camp, more than the 'comfy' first road bike one by the way.
    I do not really like Secteurs etc. but if you accept they exist for a reason then you must feel there are people that 'need' them and that those people need to be identified.

I think the salesman was probably trying to find a suitable road bike for the op, rather than say road bikes were not suitable at all.
    If the salesman was offering free advice in a pleasant way then I would not avoid the shop.
    Just take on board what he said and make your own mind up if its relevant. If not buy the bike you want (would not say the Allez is more upright than a Secteur though).
    Personally I would get a Synapse over those two anyway ;-)

If the salesman was rude in how he gave the free advice then I would possibly avoid the shop.
    I would tell the manager (and head office if they have one) your thoughts if he was that rude though.
    You might get a discount off a racier bike.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:
    Seems like most people that have commented so far are anti the toe touch idea to test flexibility.

This surprises me a little because usually newbies posting on this site are recommended 'comfort' upright bikes without knowing anything about their physical situation, so saying go get any road bike is a bit odd by comparison.

I am in the buy any road bike camp, more than the 'comfy' first road bike one by the way.
    I do not really like Secteurs etc. but if you accept they exist for a reason then you must feel there are people that 'need' them and that those people need to be identified.

I think the salesman was probably trying to find a suitable road bike for the op, rather than say road bikes were not suitable at all.
    If the salesman was offering free advice in a pleasant way then I would not avoid the shop.
    Just take on board what he said and make your own mind up if its relevant. If not buy the bike you want (would not say the Allez is more upright than a Secteur though).
    Personally I would get a Synapse over those two anyway ;-)

If the salesman was rude in how he gave the free advice then I would possibly avoid the shop.
    I would tell the manager (and head office if they have one) your thoughts if he was that rude though.
    You might get a discount off a racier bike.
    I'm not anti "comfortable" bikes. Some people will need or prefer more upright positions for a range of reasons but I don't believe ability to touch your toes is a sufficient or particularly relevant way to test this.
    My ability to touch my toes has not improved since I started riding however I did tend to knee myself in the gut which wasn't ideal and my neck flexibility was a problem (nothing to do with toe touching).
    I could now ride in a very aggressive position if I didn't need to see where I was going but neck flexibility prevents me going that low. I can just about barely touch my toes on a good day.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just to clarify. I do not think ability to touch toes has anything to do with 'needing' a 'comfort' bike either.

'Sportive' and 'Grandfondo' type/named bikes are for added comfort when riding very long distances (IMO) and not for newbies riding 30 miles anyway.

Its all marketing cr4p and then people that buy them sing there praises (as people often do just because they have something, rather than because the thing they have is actually that great) and insist every newbie needs one.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:
    Just to clarify. I do not think ability to touch toes has anything to do with 'needing' a 'comfort' bike either.

'Sportive' and 'Grandfondo' type/named bikes are for added comfort when riding very long distances (IMO) and not for newbies riding 30 miles anyway.

Its all marketing cr4p and then people that buy them sing there praises (as people often do just because they have something, rather than because the thing they have is actually that great) and insist every newbie needs one.
    Ah, well then I think we're in complete agreement!
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    If a plumber comes into your house and starts tutting at your boiler when all thats wrong is a leaky pipe, you know he is trying to fix you up.

A local bike shop is the same, you want to trust that the person giving you advice isn't trying to suck the pennies out your pocket.

Sales and advice conflict in this sense.

i wouldn't use that bike shop because either:
    he wasn't listening to the customers needs (a half hour ride is not enough for even a very aggressive position to start aching)
    He was attempting to extract a bigger sale (advice would be biased towards an expensive model that is not needed)
    He had no idea what the hell he was on about (c'mon touching your toes?)
    or
    He was bored and wanted to take the pee at someones expense

Only the last option is acceptable in my opinion

I use my local bike shop because i trust the people who work there as they have years of knowledge and experience that i do not.
    If i didn't care about it, or didn't need the advice then i would buy online because its cheaper
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    amityweb wrote:
    This is my favourite reason
    Perhaps he'd bet his mate that he could make the next customer try and touch their toes
    Positive I heard some chuckles out the back :D

Are you female and were you wearing a short skirt? (although a 14st it might not have been a pleasent sight)

My apologies if I've offended any fat lasses with my last sentance. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem