Do I need to touch my toes to ride a road bike?

amityweb
amityweb Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
I cycle roads on my mountain bike. I don't recall ever riding a road bike. I have no idea what its like (I will have a try before I buy). But I want one. I want to cycle faster and get more miles in (same same cycling time as my mtb probably). If everyone else in my area can ride road bikes, then I am sure I can. I do several short rides a week round my area (range from 4.5 to 7.5 miles, 20 to 35 mins, its hilly too). Its for fitness and not racing (racing my own times though).

Anyway, went to the shop and the salesman asked if I can touch my toes. I can't. Not far off though. So he wondered whether a road bike is right for me. I was quite surprised by this. Surely not all road bikers can touch toes without bending legs!??

He then said if I do buy a road bike, the Specialized Secteur would be better than the Allez (my initial choice was the Allez Sport). As its more confortable, and upright. I am fine with that reasoning.

Its just the way he thought I may not be suitable to road biking because I cant touch my toes that surprised me. I am not fat, could do with losing several pounds, I am few inches from the toes. 5ft 11, 14st. So it put me off a bit.

Is it something to be concerned with, or is he talking rubbish?

He also thinks I should have full carbon for comfort, but thats extra £££

Thanks!

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Talking bollox quite simply. You just need to get the correct fit. Don't use that bike shop. But having a more 'upright' and comfortable bike isn't a bad idea for your first road bike, and the Secteur/Roubaix is a good choice.

I suspect what he was saying was that you needed flexibility in your back, but not having it just means you have to adjust your fit or get used to a different posture, that's all.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I can't touch my toes, not even nearly. Its all about the right bike and fit for you.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    There are people who can't even see there toes, let alone touch them, riding road bikes.

Also 20 - 30 min in a saddle isn't long enough for your back to really start noticing.
  • markhewitt1978
    RedWheels wrote:
    Also 20 - 30 min in a saddle isn't long enough for your back to really start noticing.

Agreed, my back will start to twinge after about 3 hours, it will then either get worse or calm down.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    He was talking complete nonsense.
    Cyclists are renowned for bad flexibility and yet road bikes exist!
    I can barely touch my toes but can ride an hour or so in the drops with the only real discomfort coming from my neck (old injury, nothing to do with ability to touch my toes).

Have a look at the hip angle associated with a low road bike position. Even if you're in a very aggressively low position I doubt the hip angle ever goes under 90 degrees except when there's a lot of bend in the knee. Even at it's straightest your leg will still have a 25 degrees or more of bend at the knee. Try touching your toes with your knees bent - A lot easier isn't it?

As in the above reply - go to a different LBS!
  • amityweb
    Great, thats put my mind at rest. Like I said i was quite surprised. Initially he seemed to put me off wanting to buy a bike. Then he wanted me to buy a lot more expensive one.

I think I will go for a Secteur, need a try before I buy somewhere to be sure I like it. But everyone's out on road bikes by me, so cant be that bad! (after getting used to it).
  • markhewitt1978
    amityweb wrote:
    Great, thats put my mind at rest. Like I said i was quite surprised. Initially he seemed to put me off wanting to buy a bike. Then he wanted me to buy a lot more expensive one.

I think I will go for a Secteur, need a try before I buy somewhere to be sure I like it. But everyone's out on road bikes by me, so cant be that bad! (after getting used to it).

Also look at the Trek Domane, very similar concept.
  • I heard all pros cannot only touch their toes but also lick their elbows...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I wouldnt bother trying to touch your toes whilst riding, it could result in a nasty accident.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    My dog is very flexible and can lick it's own boll**x, but is completely hopeless in a road bike
    You'll be absolutely fine, enjoy!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I have trouble touching my knees but could probably win the Tour de France if I wanted to. Probably :lol:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I can barely reach the middle of my shins, much less my toes, but I can ride a road bike with a slammed stem and a big drop. No real correlation as far as I'm concerned.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh dear! This has as much to do with your relative leg and arm lengths as any inherent flexibility!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Perhaps he'd bet his mate that he could make the next customer try and touch their toes
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I can't touch my toes, no way near in fact and i have no problem on my bikes :)

The salesman is talking complete rubbish so if I were you I'd not be spending a penny in his shop :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Fuck me, I've heard it all now

Utter, utter tripe from the salesman

Touching toes etc is irrelevant - I have a lower back problem and a large gut, touching toes an issue, but I ride a full-on road bike no bother, in fact if anything it helps my back

It's all about getting the right bike, that fits you. As for the salesperson, he's given you a useful bit of advice - to avoid that shop and go somewhere that isn't staffed by clueless morons.

FWIW, my LBS tried to sell my missus a hybrid that was clearly too large - with me (4 bikes) stood there. Needless to say, I've not bought so much as an inner tube there since.

PS: riding a proper road bike on the road will blow your mind, compared to an MTB/etc.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nope - crap flexibility but very at home on a road bike with a pretty big drop to the bars.

They always made the candidates for that "Go Hard or Go Home" program on C5 touch their toes and do pressups. No matter what the challenge or activity was. Bizarre.

Is there another less crap shop you can go to ?
  • markhewitt1978
    cougie wrote:
    They always made the candidates for that "Go Hard or Go Home" program on C5 touch their toes and do pressups. No matter what the challenge or activity was. Bizarre.

Much like they made them go on a run to "test their fitness". I would come out as having terrible fitness but put me on a bike I'd smoke the lot of em.
  • amityweb
    This is my favourite reason
    Perhaps he'd bet his mate that he could make the next customer try and touch their toes
    Positive I heard some chuckles out the back :D
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    amityweb wrote:
    This is my favourite reason
    Positive I heard some chuckles out the back :D

When I was a boot-fitter I'd get customer's to do everything from hop on one leg in a circle to doing the Hokey Cokey. Got to find some way to break up the day. :lol:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Not only can I touch my toes but I can put the palms of my hands flat on the ground - and we're about the same size.

Good job I bought the Allez Sport. 8)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've never heard such bollox. What a twat that 'salesman' was/is ....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Perhaps he had an ulterior motive...
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Being flexible is obviously no bad thing but your legs shouldn't even be straight when riding
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sounds like the old trick of getting you to buy the bike he wants to sell you this year so that you'll come back next year & buy the bike you wanted in the first place. Obviously next year you'll be fitter, more supple and more suited to a road bike sir. Two sales instead of one. Bosh.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The touching your toes thing is a stretch you should do after a long ride or intense training session to prevent your hamstrings shortening too much (especially if you do other sports).
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited March 2014
    The touching your toes thing is a stretch you should do after a long ride or intense training session to prevent your hamstrings shortening too much (especially if you do other sports).
    There are much better stretches for your hamstrings. Touching your toes isn't ideal.
    Lying on your back, lay one leg on the floor with the knee bent. Lift the other leg up keeping the knee straight. Hold the stretch by holding your thigh or by pulling your foot forward with a towel.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Just a thought - you don't look like Kylie do you?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Quickest I've ever left a bike shop was when the bloke tried, while keeping a completely straight face, to sell me a ladies bike. OK, it had a full 105 groupset and he was offering a decent discount, but the pastel blue with pink accents would have clashed qite badly with my hairy legs and black and red kit. F@ckwit!
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I ride a mtb and a road bike. I can put my palms flat on the floor, but prefer to keep a more upright position when on my rode bike as i find it more comfy.

Hope you find a decent nike shop for a test ride. Also sleep on any decision to buy.