Specialized Roubaix SL4

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys
Any advice on the Spec Roubaix SL4?
I am after a relaxed back saving ride and on paper this seems to tick the boxes, especially with the Zertz inserts?
Also struggling with frame sizes - as always for me I seem to be between the 54 and 56.
I am about 5'10 with 31 inside leg.
Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.
Thanks
:D

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have an SL3 and it's great, I can run the tyres at 120psi and not feel any road buzz. Broke my wrist last year and this really cushions it over bumps, didn't realise just how much until I rode the aluminium Cannondale I keep in Aberdeen for after-work rides.

Just be aware there are huge spec differences in the Roubaix model range. Some of the cheaper ones make the price by using components that have no business on such a nice frame.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I have had an SL2 in the past and now have an SL4, I find the frame very forgiving and gets rid of a lot of road buzz.
    I ran it initially with the stem at the top but found it a little too upright, and have since slammed the stem and it feels perfect for my needs.
    I have the comp version and the higher you go up the range the better value for money they seem to be, the cheaper ones seem a little sparse on spec, but you are getting a frame that has had a lot of money spent on design and research rather than one coming out of a generic mould.
    I am 5' 8" with an 31" inside leg and I have a 54 which I had a bike fit for.
    The best test is to take one for a demo, specialized have quite a few concept stores around if you can get to one of these they are very helpful and normally have demo bikes in various sizes.
    The Trek Domane is also in this category and so are several other brands which will also be recommended to you, just ride as many as you can before buying rather than going on what people think , I have nearly bought bikes in the past which were highly rated and when I rode them they were not for me, so get out there and get ur leg over.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    I have the SL4 disc, and am 5' 8" with inseam of 30". I have the 52cm, and it is spot on. Very good ride, although the wheels let it down. Agree with the point that the componentry can be a bit under specced. My SL4 disc has Sora, which although functional, will get replaced soon. I also have the Expert disc, which is an absolutely stunning ride. I got to borrow one from specialized for 4 days before deciding, so that will help you with sizing. You'll see that two of us have posted, both 5' 8", one with 52cm, one with 54 cm, both happy with the size. You'll see that at 5' 8" you fall between sizes, so other dimensions, particularly top tube, become important.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Well, I am 5 foot 9 and 31" inside leg. I had a Specialized bike fit and chose the 56 roubaix. I have since tried a 54 and it felt too cramped for me. I have changed to a 90mm stem and that feels fine.

I ride quite upright with only 3cm drop from saddle to stem top. Very comfortable on my back. I only took up road biking last year and am not very flexible. Love the bike though. I am now happy doing rides of 100k and round here we have roads that are bumpy to put it kindly.

I changed the wheels to Ksyrium elite and it made a big difference in feel and weight.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    I am 5'10 & have 32 inside leg & i have a 54 Roubaix. I was sized up at the store before purchase & the 56 would have been too big. The general rule of thumb is too always go for the smaller frame size if you are an inbetweener, it is better to size up stems & such like. I recommend going down to your nearest Spesh Concept store to have a look at the sizing & actually getting on the bike.
  • My choice was between the Specialized and the Trek Domane. I eventually went for the Trek 4.3 Domane. It's a joy to ride, comfortable, fast and reasonable up the steepest Derbyshire hills. May be worth looking at and comparing.
    Good luck on your choosing.
  • Baracus
    Baracus Posts: 32
    i have a Roubaix SL4 sport C2, took me a while to decide between that the Domane and the Synapse
    finally settled on the Roubaix and i absolutely love it, it rides magnificently and looks beautiful, i would stay riding forever if i could.
    I also slammed the stem down to the conical and its still as comfortable as ever
    i am 6'2 and ride a 58
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have the SL4 disc, and am 5' 8" with inseam of 30". I have the 52cm, and it is spot on. Very good ride, although the wheels let it down. Agree with the point that the componentry can be a bit under specced. My SL4 disc has Sora, which although functional, will get replaced soon. I also have the Expert disc, which is an absolutely stunning ride. I got to borrow one from specialized for 4 days before deciding, so that will help you with sizing. You'll see that two of us have posted, both 5' 8", one with 52cm, one with 54 cm, both happy with the size. You'll see that at 5' 8" you fall between sizes, so other dimensions, particularly top tube, become important.

I was looking at the SL4 Disc but was put off by the 9 speed Sora. How do you find the disc brakes it has and is the bike relatively heavy ?
  • unixnerd
    On a bike with Sora any disc wheels they give you are going a weigh a ton.
  • rickwiggans
    The mechanical discs are pretty good. No better than calipers in the dry, but this is my bad weather bike, so excellent in the wet. The Sora is surprisingly good, but was never intended to remain on the bike, since I have 11 speed Ultegra bits waiting to go on it. I don't mind heavy wheels on a bad weather/winter bike. Not sure on weight, but I can weigh it if you like.On the Expert disc I have, the hydraulic brakes are a ton better than calipers. Yes, I hear people say, you can lock wheels with calipers, but that isn't why they are better, for me at least. The modulation and control is better, and the braking point, particularly on fast descents can be later. But I'm not looking to get into the disc/no disc debate. I like them, you need to have your own reasons for wanting them. The stock wheels on this bike are also heavy, but I have some hand built tubeless on it which are lighter than my Dura Ace C24's. My Expert is 7.7Kg with its lighter wheels. Regarding size, if you like a tall front end, and are between sizes, you might get away with the larger size. I'm between sizes, went for the smaller, slammed and flipped the stem, so I have the front end low enough.

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The mechanical discs are pretty good. No better than calipers in the dry, but this is my bad weather bike, so excellent in the wet. The Sora is surprisingly good, but was never intended to remain on the bike, since I have 11 speed Ultegra bits waiting to go on it. I don't mind heavy wheels on a bad weather/winter bike. Not sure on weight, but I can weigh it if you like.On the Expert disc I have, the hydraulic brakes are a ton better than calipers. Yes, I hear people say, you can lock wheels with calipers, but that isn't why they are better, for me at least. The modulation and control is better, and the braking point, particularly on fast descents can be later. But I'm not looking to get into the disc/no disc debate. I like them, you need to have your own reasons for wanting them. The stock wheels on this bike are also heavy, but I have some hand built tubeless on it which are lighter than my Dura Ace C24's. My Expert is 7.7Kg with its lighter wheels. Regarding size, if you like a tall front end, and are between sizes, you might get away with the larger size. I'm between sizes, went for the smaller, slammed and flipped the stem, so I have the front end low enough.

Thanks , very imformative.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    with the entry level roubaixs, weight is knocking on for 10kg.

try to think of it as buying a good frame with heavy wheels and groupset attached to keep the price down.

I would decide on budget, find the corresponding bike, then try to get the next model up either in a sale or ex demo or whatever.

The advantage of buying new is that, no matter how many times you upgrade the wheels or groupset, you will always have a lifetime frame warranty
  • Tiberius007
    Thanks guys for all your advice.

I am really tempted. Even just to but the standard base model and start to update groupset and wheels etc.

Anyone any ideas on the fame weight of say a 54 and 56?

Just trying to determine if I can build a relatively light bike or is this always going to be up closer to the 10kg mark?

Thanks guys.
  • Thanks guys for all your advice.

I am really tempted. Even just to but the standard base model and start to update groupset and wheels etc.

Anyone any ideas on the fame weight of say a 54 and 56?

Just trying to determine if I can build a relatively light bike or is this always going to be up closer to the 10kg mark?

Thanks guys.
    The wheels are the heavy thing. I changed mine to ksyrium elite with gp4000s and my roubaix is now 8.1 kg. size 56
  • unixnerd
    If you're on a budget look for a good used SL3, you'll get more for your money. A higher end SL3 frame with 10r or 11r carbon is likely lighter than a base SL4 and the top ones had internal cable routing too.
  • I have a 2014 Specialized Roubaix Sport Compact SL4 and am so made up about it!

It's a total beast yet so comfortable! Superb piece of kit and gorgeous too in the matt black with red decals.

I've swapped out the wheels (think the DT Axis 2.0's must be made out of lead!) for Shimano Ultegra wheels (£225 online new) and they've transformed the bike.

I really would recommend getting a 105 group set or higher. The Sora is so primitive comparatively.

I've now bought a 2nd hand SL2 Roubaix Comp 2011 as a winter/bad weather bike and even that's pretty impressive to be fair!

Evans cycles do 0% on them too which is a bonus when they're price fixed everywhere so nothing to lose.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • unixnerd
    Superb piece of kit and gorgeous too in the matt black with red decals.

Sounds ace, the black and white colour scheme is the only thing I don't like about mine. Would have loved matt black.
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Superb piece of kit and gorgeous too in the matt black with red decals.

Sounds ace, the black and white colour scheme is the only thing I don't like about mine. Would have loved matt black.

My SL2 Roubaix comp 2011 is white and black and i think the contrast looks really smart. Seen a few white and black bikes this year and they look great
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Tiberius007
    Well I have at last thrown my leg over the Roubaix and the Tarmac at LBS, unfortunately only indoors. Both 56 and 54 seemed remarkably similar in terms of size so much so I am now in a quandary. Obviously less reach on the 54 but it seemed small bizarrely and I kept going back to the 56. Also, I don't know whether the Zertz inserts actually work and make a difference, or whether I should just go for the lighter Tarmac. My heart is telling me the Roubaix with the Zertz and 25 tyres would be the wiser option
    I was surprised how light the Sora version actually was so I am tempted to go for the cheaper and then upgrade later.
    I then think do I go back to where I started which was with Ribble GF which I can get with full Shim Ultegra 6800 for the same price as the Spesh with Sora.
    What do you reckon guys?
    Any thoughts.
  • unixnerd
    Depends on yourself. If you're fairly flexible and live somewhere with good roads I'd get the Tarmac. If you like things a bit more upright and use the same potholed roads I do then get the Roubaix.

Upgrading wheels is one things, upgrading the groupset is more of a faff. Personally I'd try to get at least 105, be prepared to haggle and offer to pay cash rather than a credit card (which costs the shop around 3.5%).
  • Sawilson
    I also tried the Tarmac at the same time and had the same quandary, I like the slightly more aggressive positioning but decided in the end that the Roubaix was the more comfortable ride, you could drop the stem to get it lower down and still have the comfort of the Roubaix frame.
    Do the Zertz work, I don't know, but after a three hour ride I still feel fresh as a daisy with no aches pains or stiffness.
    As for weight if this really matters you can this down over time when you replace components. It's far cheaper and just as effective to lose weight from yourself than to worry about bike weight, it's not like the Tarmac is half as light.
    It sounds like your leaning toward the 56, isn't there any way you can get a proper ride on any of these bike to get a true feeling of what you want ?
    The Ribble GF gets a lot of good write ups but if you go for that option make sure the frame is right for you and don't be swayed by groupset blindness, it's the frame that makes the difference be if a Roubaix, Tarmac or GF
    I know it's a difficult decision to make that's why it's important to get it right, sometimes it's best to follow your gut reaction than what other people recommend.
    Just Kidding !

Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Tiberius007
    unixnerd wrote:
    Depends on yourself. If you're fairly flexible and live somewhere with good roads I'd get the Tarmac. If you like things a bit more upright and use the same potholed roads I do then get the Roubaix.

Upgrading wheels is one things, upgrading the groupset is more of a faff. Personally I'd try to get at least 105, be prepared to haggle and offer to pay cash rather than a credit card (which costs the shop around 3.5%).

Thanks - I think I ride the same roads as you :? UK roads are not good these days.

The Roubaix was a nice bike I have to say. It is just so difficult to understand the differences in the quality of frames on the market. Hence the quandary. Spesh frames get god reviews from what I have read but are they that much better than say Dolans, PX and Ribbles etc.

These bikes also get good reviews and are considerably cheaper with better groupsets.

I know a Ferrari is better than a Ford but I suppose I know more about cars than I do about bikes at this time.
  • Tiberius007
    Sawilson wrote:
    I also tried the Tarmac at the same time and had the same quandary, I like the slightly more aggressive positioning but decided in the end that the Roubaix was the more comfortable ride, you could drop the stem to get it lower down and still have the comfort of the Roubaix frame.
    Do the Zertz work, I don't know, but after a three hour ride I still feel fresh as a daisy with no aches pains or stiffness.
    As for weight if this really matters you can this down over time when you replace components. It's far cheaper and just as effective to lose weight from yourself than to worry about bike weight, it's not like the Tarmac is half as light.
    It sounds like your leaning toward the 56, isn't there any way you can get a proper ride on any of these bike to get a true feeling of what you want ?
    The Ribble GF gets a lot of good write ups but if you go for that option make sure the frame is right for you and don't be swayed by groupset blindness, it's the frame that makes the difference be if a Roubaix, Tarmac or GF
    I know it's a difficult decision to make that's why it's important to get it right, sometimes it's best to follow your gut reaction than what other people recommend.

Thanks for you advice.
    Yes I know its very difficult and no matter which bike I do eventually choose this is a lot of money especially if I go beyond the GF. Was all set on the GF then saw the Roubaix.
    I have been fitted for the GF, they recommended the 54 but I preferred the 56, bizarrely seemed to be more upright.
    I think it is the Roubaix that will be better for me from the Tarmac - and I think I have found a Spesh concept store not a million miles away. So hope they have test rides. And if I lost any weight I would waste away :D but see what you are saying.
    That said and going back to what you have advised re the frame quality - I agree. But how do I tell/know which frame is best - is the Roubaix going to be better than the Ribble for instance? People say the GF frame is good and so do I pay nearly £600 more for a similar spec Spesh?
    This is my dilema. As I just said in previous - A Ferrari is better than a Ford but I know far more a bout cars, but is the Prancing horse (sorry Ferrari) that much better and worth the investment?
  • Sawilson
    I brought mine for the Spesh concept store, in fact I spent about 6 hours there, I took the disc Roubaix, and both the comp versions of the Roubaix and Tarmac around the block, it was even possible to demo one for the weekend if required, they also had the demo bikes in various sizes. Test riding a bike the wrong size won't give you a real feel for the bike.
    As I brought mine in quiet January I managed to do a bit of deal with them, I took the interest free option which normally limits what they might throw in. I bought the comp version and they agreed to swap the brakes from Axis 2 to ultegra ones to match the rest of the groupset and I also got a free bike fit which took about two hours and the bike fits like a glove.
    In fact I left the store that day with the bike as they had what I wanted in stock.
    As for the frame question Specialized have put a lot of Research and design into it and have to recoup the money back.
    Pinerello Dogma frame, two Tour de France victories £3500, Spesh Roubaix, 4 Paris to Roubaix victories, considerably less, Ribble GF not seen on the Pro circuit, but perfectly good open mould frame, even cheaper.
    Specialized do give you a lifetime warranty on the frame if you are the owner from new, if it's worth paying the extra that's down to you, to some people value for money is important, to others it's knowing that it's from a race winning background and has been tested and designed for the job.
    It's not about investment it's about what you feel happy on because at the end of the day they will both be worth bugger all, buy what makes you smile as long as your not breaking the bank.
    Just Kidding !

Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I ride a Roubaix SL4. The frame does cut out a lot of harshness from roads (I rode a scott foil before). You get very little road buzz in the hands or via the saddle (I have the seatpost too). However you will still feel a bigger hit in the road, its not a magic carpet like a full suss MTB. It reduces the amount of fatigue you will get on the body due to constant bumps form the road but on the really rough stuff you do feel it, perhaps just not as much as a you would on a tarmac.
  • rickwiggans
    I can attest to the fact (or is it opinion?!) that my Roubaix bikes with Zertz are less harsh than my Dolans, on the rubbish roads around here. However, both Roubaix bikes have the zertz inserts, 25mm tyres and S-works CB seat posts, so which bit is most effective, I don't know. I imagine it is a combination of all three.

• unixnerd
    I don't think the tyres play much part in the suspension on this bike. I run mine at 120psi and still get no road buzz, it zips along though :-)

I think the Zertz inserts may remove some high frequency buzz. But the main work is done by the structure and layup of the carbon. In the early days of the Roubaix I suspect there was a larger difference in comfort between it and most other carbon frames, partly because other race bikes focussed on weight and stiffness. But technology progresses and companies have learnt how to make efficient and yet comfortable frames, partly by looking at what Roubaix style bikes do. So the difference between it and modern sportive style bikes (a term you'd not hear much in the recent past) is less than it was six years ago. That said, the bike has evolved and there's a big difference in engineering terms between and early and current Roubaix.

The low end bikes have Espoir(?) tyres and I've read they're not the best. The others have the Roubaix tyres which are 25 quid each at my LBS. These are called a 23/25 as they have the size of a 23 with comfort of a 25 or something. They are VERY puncture proof (never had one), great in the wet and surprisingly light. I liked them so much I put a set on my Cannondale and my mate started using them too.
  • Tiberius007
    DHA987S wrote:
    I ride a Roubaix SL4. The frame does cut out a lot of harshness from roads (I rode a scott foil before). You get very little road buzz in the hands or via the saddle (I have the seatpost too). However you will still feel a bigger hit in the road, its not a magic carpet like a full suss MTB. It reduces the amount of fatigue you will get on the body due to constant bumps form the road but on the really rough stuff you do feel it, perhaps just not as much as a you would on a tarmac.

Thanks. Good to know the combination works and is not just a gimmick. I saw the seatpost too which looks impressive. I just wish it was a better specd base model. Still as others say its the frame that counts.
  • Tiberius007
    I can attest to the fact (or is it opinion?!) that my Roubaix bikes with Zertz are less harsh than my Dolans, on the rubbish roads around here. However, both Roubaix bikes have the zertz inserts, 25mm tyres and S-works CB seat posts, so which bit is most effective, I don't know. I imagine it is a combination of all three.

Thanks. I was looking at the Dolans too. Nice bikes including the l'etape which is significantly cheaper than the Spesh with the same componentry.
  • Tiberius007
    Thanks guys. I am still no closer to a decision :-(. not that I am rushing but the more I look the more I want them all. Unfortunately my funds don't stretch that far. I wish.

The good an bad points of the interweb, you see lots of stuff but that then throws doubt into ones mind.