Specialized Roubaix SL4

13»

Comments

• Welcome to the club.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    :mrgreen: Glad to hear you finally made a choice, choosing a bike which should be a pleasure can sometimes turn into a mine field because there's too much choice and you end up wondering if you've picked the right one.
    I hope you enjoy it, I've been very happy with mine as it suits my needs perfectly.
    The most important thing now is to get out and ride it, post some pics on the forum when you get it and give us some feedback when you've got some miles under your belt.
    All the best. :mrgreen:
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Afternoon guys who have previously provided advice in this chain.
    Just wanted to give you all an update (should you be interested of course but more importantly just to prove I was actually using all the advice you gave to my own decide my own needs/requirements) - and just to prove I was not a total wacko :-)
    Well after much research, test riding and soul searching I have finally made my choice and you will be glad to hear a purchase - hurrah I hear!
    I went for the Spesh Roubaix in the end, geometry just suited me and my needs for what I wanted from my riding and I really do like the bike too. Got a good deal at Evans - reduced £150 and £100 trade in to boot, was hard to beat on value for what I was looking at anyway. Can use that money saved for some other kit etc. Just waiting delivery now.
    So just wanted to say again a big thanks for all your help, advice and patience. :-)

Good man!

You know it makes sense... ;)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Tiberius007
    Tiberius007 Posts: 195
    Welcome to the club.

Cheers. Its like waiting for Xmas in April :D
  • Tiberius007
    Afternoon guys who have previously provided advice in this chain.
    Just wanted to give you all an update (should you be interested of course but more importantly just to prove I was actually using all the advice you gave to my own decide my own needs/requirements) - and just to prove I was not a total wacko :-)
    Well after much research, test riding and soul searching I have finally made my choice and you will be glad to hear a purchase - hurrah I hear!
    I went for the Spesh Roubaix in the end, geometry just suited me and my needs for what I wanted from my riding and I really do like the bike too. Got a good deal at Evans - reduced £150 and £100 trade in to boot, was hard to beat on value for what I was looking at anyway. Can use that money saved for some other kit etc. Just waiting delivery now.
    So just wanted to say again a big thanks for all your help, advice and patience. :-)

Good man!

Cheers. :D

• Tiberius007
    Sawilson wrote:
    :mrgreen: Glad to hear you finally made a choice, choosing a bike which should be a pleasure can sometimes turn into a mine field because there's too much choice and you end up wondering if you've picked the right one.
    I hope you enjoy it, I've been very happy with mine as it suits my needs perfectly.
    The most important thing now is to get out and ride it, post some pics on the forum when you get it and give us some feedback when you've got some miles under your belt.
    All the best. :mrgreen:

PS - Alf was a great TV show :D
  • Tiberius007
    Afternoon guys who have previously provided advice in this chain.

Good man!

Thanks mate. :D
  • Tiberius007
    I will post some pics once I take delivery. That will be my next big task on this forum :-) Posting pics, should be fun!!

Can I ask what wheelsets you guys have on your rides?

Seen a nice set of Zondas - would these be a suitable upgrade? They get good reviews and will be significantly lighter than the stock wheels supplied.

Thanks again
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Mate bought Zondas for his Bianchi, nice wheels and good value if you shop around.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I will post some pics once I take delivery. That will be my next big task on this forum :-) Posting pics, should be fun!!

Can I ask what wheelsets you guys have on your rides?

Seen a nice set of Zondas - would these be a suitable upgrade? They get good reviews and will be significantly lighter than the stock wheels supplied.

Thanks again

I deliberated for weeks over which to get for my budget of just £300 and was so close between the Zondas and the Fulcrum 3's. In the end i bought the Shimano Ultegra wheel set for just £225 and think they're brilliant! So much stiffer than Mavic Aksiums and Fulcrum Racing 7's (which I've had both / lateral stiffness i mean during climbs so never get any brake rub) so love them! Not quite as light as the Zondas or 3's but only 100g in it and they've stayed true and never broke a spoke and i weigh over 100kgs so seem pretty bulletproof

Gorgeous too
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Mine came with Fulcrum racing 5s which are a tad heavy, and will get replaced eventually but will have to do for now.
    After getting the bike and sneaking a Garmin Edge 510 on it, I do fancy keeping my testicles where they are, I cannot risk any more purchases at the moment.
    I am not henpecked my wife told me so !
    I did manage to sneak some GP4000s on though when her back was turned and would recommend you get some new rubber as well.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I have really enjoyed this thread!

I dare not start my own about bikes for a £1300 budget. The spesh is in there along with the Bianchi Vertigo and Planet X pro carbon.

:)
  • I have really enjoyed this thread!

I dare not start my own about bikes for a £1300 budget. The spesh is in there along with the Bianchi Vertigo and Planet X pro carbon.

Get the £1300 Roubaix for just £1150 at the minute then slap on the 105 group set for £299 from Merlin and for under £1450 you have a cracking bike!
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Tiberius007

Get the £1300 Roubaix for just £1150 at the minute then slap on the 105 group set for £299 from Merlin and for under £1450 you have a cracking bike!

Absolutely agree with this advice from SparkleH, and is exactly what I did and what I intend doing later, i.e. updating the groupset to 105 or even ultegra.

Also if you get the bike at Evans you can get £100 trade in which makes this even more of a bargain, and they will take anything. And if you don't have a pile of scrap metal in the shape of a bike to hand you can get really cheap kids bikes in Halfords :-). This still equates to £70-£80 further reduction - and better again it is money in your pocket and helps to bring the cost of that groupset or wheels that bit closer and more appealing/affordable :-)

For now I will probably put the savings to a lighter wheelset as I can live with Sora groupset for now. It is functional for what I want.

Good luck with whatever you chose, but as a new purchaser of this frame/bike I can say it is even great straight out of the box. :-)
  • Tiberius007
    unixnerd wrote:
    Mate bought Zondas for his Bianchi, nice wheels and good value if you shop around.

Thanks mate. Advice much appreciated.
  • Tiberius007

I have only had mine (Spesh) a couple of days, and I love it. Frame is awesome in the satin finish. It is like something from Gotham City :-)

But outside of the vanity it is a really nice frame to ride, and thanks to the advice I received here glad I bought it. :D
  • Tiberius007

Thanks again

I deliberated for weeks over which to get for my budget of just £300 and was so close between the Zondas and the Fulcrum 3's. In the end i bought the Shimano Ultegra wheel set for just £225 and think they're brilliant! So much stiffer than Mavic Aksiums and Fulcrum Racing 7's (which I've had both / lateral stiffness i mean during climbs so never get any brake rub) so love them! Not quite as light as the Zondas or 3's but only 100g in it and they've stayed true and never broke a spoke and i weigh over 100kgs so seem pretty bulletproof

Gorgeous too

Thanks SparkleH, looked at all those wheels so sounds like I am on the right path in terms of choice, which is good to know. Also read an interesting article on Superstar Pave 28 wheelset, they got a very good write up and where extremely light too. And at £165 for the pair seemed a steal. Ever heard of them?

Maybe the BK weekend will throw up some bargains. Although not in any rush to purchase. After all the axis wheels supplied are round so I can still get around. :-)

Thanks again mate your advice has been helpful.
  • Tiberius007
    Sawilson wrote:
    Mine came with Fulcrum racing 5s which are a tad heavy, and will get replaced eventually but will have to do for now.
    After getting the bike and sneaking a Garmin Edge 510 on it, I do fancy keeping my testicles where they are, I cannot risk any more purchases at the moment.
    I am not henpecked my wife told me so !
    I did manage to sneak some GP4000s on though when her back was turned and would recommend you get some new rubber as well.

Cheers. I know what you mean. My other half is no different. I know who wears the trousers here!
    I got a Garmin 800 just before the bike and she nearly had kittens. Although she now wants one. :-) Typical.
    Thanks for the advice will look for the tyres too, I know the GPs get good reviews so will keep a look out.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Doesn't comply with OCD rules, but just a camera phone snap so who cares.

3391e095fcbe983486548bd8a19f96d7.jpg
  • I've had three othe road bikes since i started last summer (Boardmans and a Felt) and none were a patch on these Roubaix's. I have now done over 500 miles since i bought mine in January (don't get a lot of time for riding but doing what i can) and am totally in love with this bike. It's ******* brilliant! So comfortable, gorgeous and as quick as I need.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Best money I've ever spent
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Tiberius007
    Doesn't comply with OCD rules, but just a camera phone snap so who cares.

3391e095fcbe983486548bd8a19f96d7.jpg

Nice ride mate :D

Did you need an BB adapter for the Ultegra chainset? If so which one did you purchase?

That is the upgrade that I want to make.
  • Tiberius007
    I've had three othe road bikes since i started last summer (Boardmans and a Felt) and none were a patch on these Roubaix's. I have now done over 500 miles since i bought mine in January (don't get a lot of time for riding but doing what i can) and am totally in love with this bike. It's ******* brilliant! So comfortable, gorgeous and as quick as I need.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Best money I've ever spent

The Roubaix is great - I have had such a blast since I purchased it. I am upto about 250 miles in 2 weeks. It just wants to be ridden :-)

So far so good.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Did you need an BB adapter for the Ultegra chainset?

My SL3 came with an Ultegra crankset. I think for BB30 you needed to buy a specific frame but I may be wrong.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Tiberius007
    Thanks. No you are right. I need a Praxis adapter (seems best solution), thought you may have gone a similar route.