Best Protein Recovery Shake for Mountain Biking

jackk1992
jackk1992 Posts: 141
edited March 2016 in Health, fitness & training
This is something where the science baffles me.

I used to use Maximuscle Progain in the past when I went to the gym weight training, but now I'm after getting ride for mountain biking and marathons, i'm after loosing weight and getting fitter. I understand there are different protein shakers for different desired outcomes, but have no idea what does what. I don't want to get what that ends up having the complete opposite affect to what im after.

If there is anyone out there that can help with this that would be great!

On a side note, these energy gels that are knocking about. Are they any good?
2013 Mondraker Foxy XR MS Mountain Bike
Giant TCR-1 Custom Road Bike
2013 Merida Big Nine TFS 500
2015 Merida Ride 4000

"Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"

Comments

• jackk1992
    for example. Is this worth getting for events?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/high ... prod106300
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's certainly good value. Gels are a convenient way of getting energy, if you're not running out of energy then they won't really achieve anything.

Likewise, recovery drinks are often completely surplus to requirements unless you're training hard on successive days
  • jackk1992
    I normally take 2 flapjacks with me on a ride, one to have before I start and one half way through but I understand that flapjacks from the supermarkets aren't the healthiest thing out there.

I'm doing alot of training at the moment and planning on upping it as entered a few events for this year now so thats why i was starting to look at potential recovery shakes
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• paulleary
    paulleary Posts: 35
    Try chocolate milk -skimmed milk , milk powder and choc milkshake powder .
    It has good composition , easy to make and easy to get ingredients .
    Has a good balance of proteins and sugars and lots of micronutrients .
    What could be healthier ?
    I believe the US Olympic swimming team used it few years ago .
  • jackk1992
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• I used a lean muscle protein for post ride. Dobt want to bulk up, but do want to aid recovery.

Currently on nutri1st muscle definition which seems to really help, without gaining mass.
  • jackk1992
    I used a lean muscle protein for post ride. Dobt want to bulk up, but do want to aid recovery.

Currently on nutri1st muscle definition which seems to really help, without gaining mass.

I have seen that in tesco. Read up on it and people said it tastes horrible. What flavour do you have? I understand that as long as it does the job, who cares what it tastes like but its always best to have something atleast slightly tasty :P
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• jackk1992 wrote:
    I used a lean muscle protein for post ride. Dobt want to bulk up, but do want to aid recovery.

I have seen that in tesco. Read up on it and people said it tastes horrible. What flavour do you have? I understand that as long as it does the job, who cares what it tastes like but its always best to have something atleast slightly tasty :P

Strawberry.. have it with water and its the nicest shake I've ever had lol. Maximuscle is disgusting in comparison!

Its cheap too which is always good. Low calorie, carb and fat but lots of protein.

Only thing to note is that it contains sucralose, which some people may have an issue with.
  • jackk1992
    Might give it ago then! Nearly bought at tub last weekend but decided against it as i didnt know anything about it
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    As above.... low-fat chocolate milk has good proportions of protein / carbs / fat.

For after exercise recovery, I use a mixture of whey protien concentrate and Gatorade powder.
    About 20 grams protein, and 40 grams carbs. Protein for muscle rebuild, carbs for refuel glycogen.

This is a good article about benefits of post-exercise protein....
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/89/1/161.full.pdf+html

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Decathlon do a vanilla shake which is great value and quite tasty . Maxi muscle is gross tasting
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • jackk1992
    Decathlon do a vanilla shake which is great value and quite tasty . Maxi muscle is gross tasting

I used to really like the maxi muscle chocolate flavour. Just was mega expensive!
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Milky, sugary coffee.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Tbh a pint of milk is almost as good as anything if you don't want to spend money
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Sis recovery whey/protein powder, strawberry is the best!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • njee20
    SIS is vile IMO!

The High5 stuff is very palatable, I used to use the Summer Fruits mixed with water when I was actually doing a lot of riding.

IMO the vast majority of people really don't need it, and (very low carb/calorie solutions aside) will likely just make you fatter.
  • jackk1992
    njee20 wrote:
    SIS is vile IMO!

The High5 stuff is very palatable, I used to use the Summer Fruits mixed with water when I was actually doing a lot of riding.

IMO the vast majority of people really don't need it, and (very low carb/calorie solutions aside) will likely just make you fatter.

fatTER? what you trying to say? haha! Just kidding. It was just an idea as im doing alot of riding and running at the moment and I find my body isn't recovery in time.
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• njee20
    Should probably have said "one" rather than you, as I clearly know nothing of your body composition!

Just the stock recommendation on threads like these tends to be that you need a bowl of porridge, several flapjacks, a bag of Haribo and then a Frijj milkshake to get one through one's weekly 12 mile ride, which is eeked out to take 4 hours, and is therefore "a 4 hour ride".
  • OP - what recovery are yoy looking for? Lots of different thing being thrown about but we dont yet know what you think you need.
    From the 1st post, I took this to be muscle fatigue, not energy replenishment

Muscle fatigue - low calorie, low carb, low fat, high protein.
    Energy Replenishment - high calorie, high carb, low fat, low protein.

Why do you think you need a post ride supplement? What are your symptoms?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    A top kidney doctor my wife knew was very scathing about those protein supplements - not at all good for you.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Taking overly high amount of protein is a strain on the kidneys, but used in moderation they should not be a problem.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Comedy Kidney posts.

Any quality protein and carb source will do whether it's from a supplement or whole food. The more important factor is timing aiming for as soon as possible to aid recovery. The longer you leave refuelling your body you increase the likelihood of it using the most available source of fuel available. With glycogen levels low or depleted, muscle protein is the next most available energy source for the body to use which over time will simply be counter productive.

Where a supplement source can be more beneficial is due to being faster to digest and absorb by the body compared to a whole food source. Ideal world would be a supplement source ASAP followed by whole food an hour after, not forgetting some good fats in there too.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    I have used SIS Rego in chocolate with either milk or water, can use soya milk if lactose isn't your thing as with me,

I also use recovery XS from myprotein.com which is good but depending on how well u mix it can be grainy.

Both have 20+ G proteins and double that in carbs with electrolytes. Also some creatine, hmb and other useful supplements.

Drink it just after a hard cycle and then eat within 30-50 odd minutes. You should tailor what you eat based on how you cycled and what your aims are.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Wormishere1
    Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    Hi,

Not sure if you have got anything sorted yet but MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... 30943.html) is my go to - very cheap at £12.79 for a 1KG unflavoured bag, but I would spend a few quid more and get a nice flavour as they have tons on offer.

To boot, if you use this code at the checkout you get a discount too MP43537 :)

P.S. That shake is ideal for muscle fatigue, but if you want to get some energy in there too order some instant oats - http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... 29296.html, again v.cheap!
    Remember Rule #5
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Chocolate milk, all you need, scientifically proven.
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    Maximuscle was by far the best recovery supplement I've ever used after very heavy weight training or cardio workouts.
    Reduced soreness and fatigue 90%.

I say continue to use it, but perhaps only at half dosage at first. See how you feel.
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Forget the recovery supplements, just have sex - you temporarily forget how knackered your body feels and you feel even more king-like for all your manly efforts.

...then have a post-sex protein shake.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I fuel about a 3rd as much as I used to. I simply don't need to be eating much even on longer rides. I can happily go 10 hours on a couple of home made apricot flapjacks. I still use a high caffeine drink powder, but I found bonk training good to get the body used to performaning well while burning fat.

Post ride protein. banana and appricot shake or a couple of dry fried eggs or scrambled.