Implants

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
New that would get your attention, I know this is completely off topic but I have been told by my dentist that I should consider an Implant to replace a front crown as there isn't enough root to hold another crown. Its 3k for an implant! A cycling mate has recomended I look at goin to Malaga where it is 600 euro. Has anyone tried this and how did it go? Sorry for the oddball post.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I think this is only acceptable in 'general' if you preface it with the story of how you fell down and broke your crown in the first place.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Depending on what is to either side of the existing crown, they could be suggesting a bridge at a far more reasonable cost. Is this a post which is now at the limit that the root of the tooth will take, or crowned over a stump which is getting too thin?

In either case, extraction may be the better option, followed by winged bridge supported by one or both adjacent teeth.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I think this is only acceptable in 'general' if you preface it with the story of how you fell down and broke your crown in the first place.

He was chasing Jill :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    Brian1 wrote:
    New that would get your attention, I know this is completely off topic but I have been told by my dentist that I should consider an Implant to replace a front crown as there isn't enough root to hold another crown. Its 3k for an implant! A cycling mate has recomended I look at goin to Malaga where it is 600 euro. Has anyone tried this and how did it go? Sorry for the oddball post.

fwiw my gf had two done in india, we went there for hols anyway, i basked, she went to the dentist

it required two trips, one to do the prep, then after several months return to finish things

this was several years ago, still all fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I considered going abroad but the ramifications of anything going wrong disuaded me. Mine cost about that (maybe a couple of hundred less) but it's been a great success and I think I made the right decision even tough it was a lot of money. It's potentially a big saving but you can't exactly pop over to Malaga if something starts playing up. Also it's not a one-off treatment. I had three distinct sessions several weeks apart which seems to be the correct process for an implant so you'll need to factor in flights for each visit plus potentially accomodation too.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    There must be more appropriate forums on the web where you'd be able to get meaningful advise from.

Unless your need for the crown is due to a cycling related incident I see no relevance for this topic.
  • hazzy87
    hazzy87 Posts: 26
    You wasted my time looking at this thread! I expected to see a nice lady with them out!
  • Surely the 3 grand would be better spent on some Enve wheels. You might end up looking like Albert Steptoe but with a gucci set of wheels. Just don't smile when you cross the finish line.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Best time to go to the dentist is around tooth hurty :lol:

sorry