Electrical Muscle Stimulation for Recovery.

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
So Peloton Magazine shared this link on their Facebook page yesterday ..

http://pelotonmagazine.com/tested/marc-pro-welcome-to-the-future-of-recovery/

You use a $650 glorified ab stimulator to flex your muscles to help your lymphatic system (a passive system relying on your movement) to pump out the waste products left after endurance exercise to leave you feeling fresher and more powerful sooner.

They show the United Healthcare cycling team using it.

They do not say it will build muscle, the opposite in fact, which is refreshing, and claim that it may help increase capiliarisation that LSD is supposed to do.

Anyone got any thoughts, aside from the outrageous price (you can buy similar for under £100 elsewhere). I'd just like to know if the info about the lymphatic system removing the waste products is accurate. It doesnt seem inconceivable that this could stimulate a short recovery ride quite easily. We all already know the benefits of such a ride.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    A few years ago i spent a few weeks racing in France and stayed with a mate who at the time was riding for Sojasun U23 team. He had a set of these from the team, I tried them a morning before a race and must say after using them there was no doubt that my legs felt lighter and more supple. I felt good in the race but like everything it is hard/impossible to say how much they did or didn't help.

I guess they replicate what you get from a massage although they won't be as effective as a massage they are easier to do and in the long run cheaper too.
  • I had similar treatment whereby the electrodes were connected to acupuncture needles in my thighs to promote muscle and prevent the the muscle fibres banding together after a knee reconstruction...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I had 3 months of therapy(2 days a week) on my shoulder a year ago and electrical stimulation was used on it for 15 minutes each session, after I had done a bunch of light exercises to help improve range of motion. It felt really good. Did it help? Well, I want to think it did but couldn't prove it to you one way or another. Could have bought one of the devices for around 700 dollars. Right now my shoulder feels great BUT I have continued to do the exercises and stretching that they recommended. I think that has helped keep it up and moving.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Try Firefly Calf stimulators, work quite well, not cheap each one can be used about 5 times.

http://www.fireflyrecovery.com/the-fire ... es-it-work