Trek Domane Top Speed of only 30mph!

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
will not be buying one!!

(read the last paragraph)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2579096/Furious-Jaguar-driver-swears-cyclist-25-times-35-seconds-heated-road-rage-outburst.html

DM Quote below!
'His Domane bike is worth £3,200, weighs 7.4kg and has a top speed of 30mph. The Jaguar has a 3-litre engine, top speed of 155mph and can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 5.9 seconds.'

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    LOL it's in the Daily Mail so it must be true.

I see the comments section is true to form "I bet the cyclist deserved it", "The other day I was held up," "blah blah"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    LOL it's in the Daily Mail so it must be true.

I see the comments section is true to form "I bet the cyclist deserved it", "The other day I was held up," "blah blah"

To be fair, the article doesn't seem to make any judgement on it at all - it almost seems disinterested.

The comments are as moronic as you'd expect. Still. Whatever you do, don't cycle in Toronto.

"Joeythes, Toronto, 38 minutes ago
    Still waiting for the day I see a cyclist obey the rules of the road. Ever seen one stop at a stop sign? Nope, neither have I and I have been driving for 35 years."

Either this bloke is telling the truth and you will inevitably be hit by other cyclists in Toronto or it is a city in which a driver can manage to drive for 35 years without at any point paying any attention to the road!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markhewitt1978
    Old Jasper Carrot Joke "I'd been driving for 35 years, when I fell asleep at the wheel"...
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    Probably see an influx of Trek Domane purchases due to the 30mph statement...it's human effort that makes a bicycle go at that speed :-)
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • markhewitt1978
    If I had a Trek Domane does that mean I can average 30mph up 20% climbs? I'll take two!
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Eddie Bell, 38, a railway maintenance planner

Railway maintenance planners must be well paid if he can afford a 3400 bike
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    fat_tail wrote:

What kind of wage warrants buying a £3400 bike?
  • fat_tail
    Graham K wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

clearly not one that I am earning. but then again I don't work for the railways.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • rolf_f
    fat_tail wrote:

Complete twaddle. Total income and disposable income are two different things and can vary wildly for two people on the same salary.

If you own your house and have no children, it doesn't take much income to have a lot of spare cash. If you have a pointlessly big house with a fat mortgage, lots of children and waste money on new cars every two years then you'll have barely any disposable income for things like posh bikes.

And, of course, you are being judgemental to assume (as it sounds like you do) that a railway maintenance planner shouldn't be well paid. Do you know what they do? I suspect it isn't walking down the track kicking sleepers and telling people to tighten the bolts up.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    doffs cap @rolf once again :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    What a rip off, I've had a Rockhopper over 50mph and they're only about £600!

:roll:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:

I'm a curmudgeon :( :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rolf F wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I had that once but a liberal application of natural yogurt twice a day cleared it up
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    fat_tail wrote:
    Graham K wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

clearly not one that I am earning. but then again I don't work for the railways.

Its not what you earn, its whats left once youve done the bills :wink:
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I had that once but a liberal application of natural yogurt twice a day cleared it up

I've got mango flavour yoghurt - would that work?
  • fat_tail
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

Complete twaddle. Total income and disposable income are two different things and can vary wildly for two people on the same salary.

If you own your house and have no children, it doesn't take much income to have a lot of spare cash. If you have a pointlessly big house with a fat mortgage, lots of children and waste money on new cars every two years then you'll have barely any disposable income for things like posh bikes.

And, of course, you are being judgemental to assume (as it sounds like you do) that a railway maintenance planner shouldn't be well paid. Do you know what they do? I suspect it isn't walking down the track kicking sleepers and telling people to tighten the bolts up.

If you read the story, he has four kids. thats not cheap by any means.

Apparently they are well paid. Whatever they do.
    here is a link for a planner job ad in case you are interested
    http://3dpersonnel.recruitment-websites.co.uk/Candidate/-vacancies-london-planner--rail-1416.aspx
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • rolf_f
    fat_tail wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

So, what you meant was "Railway maintenance planners must be well paid if they have four kids and can afford a £3400 bike"? Even that is still twaddle (though proportionately less so) - if he has inherited his property and has a well paid missus and saves a bit every month he could still afford said bike.

Impressed with your Google Fu in finding that job ad. Amazingly uninformative advert - it could be for anyone from a glorified labourer to someone with an Engineering Masters degree. Presumably applicants know what the professional requirements are. Seems like a good deal for 5 years minimum!
  • fat_tail
    edited March 2014
    duplicate
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • fat_tail
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

So, what you meant was "Railway maintenance planners must be well paid if they have four kids and can afford a £3400 bike"? Even that is still twaddle (though proportionately less so) - if he has inherited his property and has a well paid missus and saves a bit every month he could still afford said bike.
    If his aunt has balls, she would be his uncle. You are argument is ridiculous. Most people have a mortgage on their property. He is 38 so quite unlikely to have paid it off. You seem to be very touchy about this.
    Impressed with your Google Fu in finding that job ad. Amazingly uninformative advert - it could be for anyone from a glorified labourer to someone with an Engineering Masters degree. Presumably applicants know what the professional requirements are. Seems like a good deal for 5 years minimum!

No need to be impressed. Using Google is quite easy. You should apply for the job. Perhaps you too can then afford a £3400 bike.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Rolf F wrote:

Being for a civil engineering firm I believe it'd be for someone with a civil engineering degree (for various reasons, most people who take this course do a masters), They'll probably also have done chartership.
    I think there will be a certain amount of going down the tracks and kicking rails involved ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Being for a civil engineering firm I believe it'd be for someone with a civil engineering degree (for various reasons, most people who take this course do a masters), They'll probably also have done chartership.
    I think there will be a certain amount of going down the tracks and kicking rails involved ;)

And the minimum is probably going to be far more than 5 years in practice......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    fat_tail wrote:
    No need to be impressed. Using Google is quite easy. You should apply for the job. Perhaps you too can then afford a £3400 bike.

Reckon the Mail investigated exactly which Trek Domane he has, or just looked for the most expensive Trek Domane to make the story sound better?
    Let's try that trick with your bike. A Scott CR1. £4000 if you pick the right link :roll:
    He's also a qualified coach. Reckon it's overly extravagant for a coach to have a proper bike?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fat_tail
    dhope wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

Reckon the Mail investigated exactly which Trek Domane he has, or just looked for the most expensive Trek Domane to make the story sound better?
    Let's try that trick with your bike. A Scott CR1. £4000 if you pick the right link :roll:
    He's also a qualified coach. Reckon it's overly extravagant for a coach to have a proper bike?
    So long as his kids enjoy their diet of baked beans on toast, what do I care ?
    With regard to my bike you don't know whether my signature is b*llshit, how much I earn or whether I am a Tour de Farce winner so whether my Scott CR1 Comp is extravagant or not will remain a mystery until I am featured in the Daily Mail. I could be riding a fleet of Pinarello Dogmas for all you know.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • rolf_f
    fat_tail wrote:

I've got one thanks.
    fat_tail wrote:
    I could be riding a fleet of Pinarello Dogmas for all you know.

Or care. It's only you that seems upset that someone who is probably a mere Civil Engineer can afford a bike that costs as much as half the price of the cheapest new cars available. Dammit, the iniquity of it! :wink:

But if you do have a fleet of Dogmas then I am sure everyone will be very pleased for you!
  • fat_tail
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

I've got one thanks.
    fat_tail wrote:
    I could be riding a fleet of Pinarello Dogmas for all you know.

Or care. It's only you that seems upset that someone who is probably a mere Civil Engineer can afford a bike that costs as much as half the price of the cheapest new cars available. Dammit, the iniquity of it! :wink:

But if you do have a fleet of Dogmas then I am sure everyone will be very pleased for you!

Clearly, he is not a "civil" engineer otherwise he would not have made his "friendly" gesture at Mr Cockney that then caused the altercation from which he had to flee with his tail (and £3400 bicycle) between his legs.

I am most certainly not "upset" just pointing out what I think is a disproportionate amount to be spent on bike given what we know to be the facts which are (i) four kids (ii) mid-management role in a bloated bureaucracy which probably earns him around £50k a year of which probably gets to keep around £32-34k which probably doesn't go very far in East Sussex. We don't know that he inherited his house.

Anyway, off to ride my fleet of Dogmas around the Tour de Farce.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • rolf_f
    fat_tail wrote:
    I am most certainly not "upset" just pointing out what I think is a disproportionate amount to be spent on bike given what we know to be the facts which are (i) four kids (ii) mid-management role in a bloated bureaucracy which probably earns him around £50k a year of which probably gets to keep around £32-34k which probably doesn't go very far in East Sussex. We don't know that he inherited his house.

We don't know anything about his finances aside from that the Daily Mail says his bike is worth £3.2k.

I'm planning on getting some new wheels. Do let me know what my budget should be - I'd hate to spend a disproportionate amount of my income on them. To give you an idea of my wealth, I recently bought some stainless steel bottle cages for £10 each.
  • fat_tail
    Rolf F wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

We don't know anything about his finances aside from that the Daily Mail says his bike is worth £3.2k.

I'm planning on getting some new wheels. Do let me know what my budget should be - I'd hate to spend a disproportionate amount of my income on them. To give you an idea of my wealth, I recently bought some stainless steel bottle cages for £10 each.

Well if you have inherited your house, don't have a mortgage and don't change your car every two years, don't have four children or if you do have four children keep them on a diet of baked beans and toast, then please feel free to spend as much as you wish.

these dogmas are the dogs. its that asymmetric fork or something.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wow. Guy gets verbally harassed and threatened with being run over by a car, and you guys are arguing about how much the Daily Mail says his bike is worth.

Madness :P
  • fat_tail
    edited March 2014
    notsoblue wrote:
    Wow. Guy gets verbally harassed and threatened with being run over by a car, and you guys are arguing about how much the Daily Mail says his bike is worth.

Madness :P

To be fair, that is not what we are arguing about. Although I have now forgotten what it was we are arguing about :D
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • markhewitt1978
    There's two bikes in the article the white one isn't a Domane, not sure what the one behind that one is.