Wind effect

2»

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    cougie wrote:
    I was there for the Half Marathon a few weeks back - we were blown around just running.

I'm hoping it won't be anywhere near that gusty for Sunday ! Have a good race.
    Cheers! At least I know we should get the same headwind / tailwind / crosswind several times over, rather than 30 mins in my face and 30 mins on my back!

How was the HM there? I like the duathlon there as the surface is just about the best you'll get to ride on, and its nice for family members to come and watch (relatively), but I'm not entirely sure I'd like a half-m round five laps. Hope you posted a time you were happy with, despite the breeze!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rpherts wrote:
    Try riding in the Fens (or any large flat, open area with no cover), you get full value for the wind there. A 15mph headwind can feel like a mini-hurricane.
    Headwind and tailwind are OK, it's when it's a strong, gustyy side wind on a steep climb or descent it gets scary. Had all four up a Pennine today, 20mph with 50mph gusts I think. Had to get off and walk up a short climb and take a 50mph descent at more like 25 because I was getting blown sideways.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    cougie wrote:
    I was there for the Half Marathon a few weeks back - we were blown around just running.

I'm hoping it won't be anywhere near that gusty for Sunday ! Have a good race.
    Were you there for the duathlon? Sprint or standard? Hated that headwind up to Hilltop, but could have been worse I suppose; at least it was consistent. (I think I've spotted your results on strava)

Took a chunk of time off my runs compared to last year (17m51 and 17m48 last year, 17m07 and 17m10 this year) which I wasn't expecting, and can't put that down to the wind. Ride was faster than last year by just over 3m30 but I can put most of that down to the bike, with a definite negative effect due to the wind too - had hoped to be 5min faster this year (I was on a 29er MTB with 32mm tyres last year) but I think the wind put paid to that plan.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)