Wind effect

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
No, not a Brussel Sprout related question...

Riding into the wind seems to have a disproportionate effect on the amount of effort I feel I have to put (or alternatively to the speed that I am riding at). I'm still very much a beginner at this, and ride solo not in groups.

What should my expectation be of riding into the wind (e.g. "how much" harder?), and what can I do to minimise the impact?

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Hard to quantify as depends on how strong wind is, how fat / sail like you are etc.

I did an out and back on sunday whislt my kid was at his hockey training, headed pretty much due North and felt like a god, was only when i was heading back that i realised I'd been wind assisted on the way out as it was harder going coming back.

Still a beautiful day for it. Nice to be in shorts and SS top rather than winter tights and 4 layers :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Minimise your frontal area. Get as narrow and low as you can without impeding your power output.

Wear tight fitting kit - nothing loose or flappy.

That said - suck it up = there will always be wind and there will be that magical one day where you get a strong tailwind out of nowhere. These happen about once every 20 years or so, but well worth waiting for.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Most of the effort you're putting in is going to pushing that air out of the way - the faster you go the more air you're having to displace - so when that wind starts coming at you it is naturally harder.

I think the worst I've had is a F8 headwind on a fast section that I normally ride at between 20 and 25mph - with that headwind I was struggling to hit 13mph!

Ways to minimise impact are to get yourself low, don't wear flappy clothing and find someone to ride behind!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    All you can do is wear tighter clothing and ride in a lower position. My normal rides mean I go over a hill into a valley and out the other side of the valley. At the top the wind can be very gusty and not from a constant direction which in strong winds means gripping the bars hard and it is tough going. At one point I was free wheeling down a hill at only 10mph due to the wind, normally it would be 20mph+. In the valley the wind is more consistent and easier to pedal into.
  • larkim
    Cheers - much as I suspected!

I suppose the bit which feels "wrong" to me is that if I'm putting in hard effort going uphill I'd normally be either hands on the tops, sitting up a little more, or on the hoods standing up on the pedals - neither of which technique helps to reduce frontal area when riding into a strong wind (which effectively feels like riding uphill!)

I'm finding it hard to let go of wearing nice loose, flappy clothing though - no love for lycra just yet. Would it make *that* much difference for someone who's idea of a high average speed (on a calm day) is 17.5mph over an hour's undulating ride (working on the basis that aero effects have a higher payback at higher speeds)?

Matt
  • slowbike
    larkim wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to let go of wearing nice loose, flappy clothing though - no love for lycra just yet. Would it make *that* much difference for someone who's idea of a high average speed (on a calm day) is 17.5mph over an hour's undulating ride (working on the basis that aero effects have a higher payback at higher speeds)?

Matt

Yes ... it would ...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    larkim wrote:
    No, not a Brussel Sprout related question...

Riding into the wind seems to have a disproportionate effect on the amount of effort I feel I have to put (or alternatively to the speed that I am riding at). I'm still very much a beginner at this, and ride solo not in groups.

What should my expectation be of riding into the wind (e.g. "how much" harder?), and what can I do to minimise the impact?

Matt
    What do you mean by disproportionate?
    Air resistance is where you expend most of your energy except on slow climbs. You should expect wind to have a very significant impact on your speed.

17.5mph is a respectable average and fast enough that clothing will make a difference even in calm weather. However remember that ground speed is not what determines aerodynamic drag. Airspeed does. In a strong headwind it's likely a larger proportion of your airspeed is due to wind than your groundspeed.
  • larkim
    Slowbike wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Matt

Yes ... it would ...
    OK. Perhaps I have to hang up my preconceptions about lycra.

(There's another thread to be discussed - who is self conscious about their paunch vs their lycra... :oops: )

Matt
  • ai_1
    larkim wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Matt

Yes ... it would ...
    OK. Perhaps I have to hang up my preconceptions about lycra.

(There's another thread to be discussed - who is self conscious about their paunch vs their lycra... :oops: )

Matt
    Most of us don't look amazing in lycra (although some think they do!) but it's definitely the most comfortable way to dress and will help your speed too. Most people won't recognise you out on the bike anyway so forget how you look. Just suck it in on your way out the door and as you arrive back home!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    larkim wrote:

I suppose the bit which feels "wrong" to me is that if I'm putting in hard effort going uphill I'd normally be either hands on the tops, sitting up a little more, or on the hoods standing up on the pedals - neither of which technique helps to reduce frontal area when riding into a strong wind (which effectively feels like riding uphill!)

Matt

You need to learn to climb Pantani style
    pantani.jpg

Actually being aero makes less difference uphill as the speeds are lower. Aero drag increases with speed.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    >>Aero drag increases with speed

In fact, I believe it increases exponentially! :-(
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • larkim
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Most of us don't look amazing in lycra (although some think they do!) but it's definitely the most comfortable way to dress and will help your speed too. Most people won't recognise you out on the bike anyway so forget how you look. Just suck it in on your way out the door and as you arrive back home!
    It's the snide remarks from SWMBO and my kids which are more of a concern, so it would be case of sucking in from the bedroom door, through the house, out to the garage and then....relax...

Perhaps its just me that drives past lycra clad individuals with guts no larger than mine (5ft8, 77kg) and mentally sneers; hence why I think everyone else does!!
  • ai_1
    larkim wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    It's the snide remarks from SWMBO and my kids which are more of a concern, so it would be case of sucking in from the bedroom door, through the house, out to the garage and then....relax...

Perhaps its just me that drives past lycra clad individuals with guts no larger than mine (5ft8, 77kg) and mentally sneers; hence why I think everyone else does!!
    Pretend you think they're just jealous and they might give up commenting!
    Alternatively if that's all that's stopping you, throw on a tracksuit bottoms on until you get to your bike! :wink:
  • larkim
    So to conclude - riding into the wind is unpleasant.

Only solutions are:-
    -MTFU
    -Better position
    -Lycra (and shaved legs if desperate)

Fair enough!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Wind is awful. Hard work riding into it. Hard work when it's sideways keeping control. The only time it's good is when it's blowing directly behind you and not gusting!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    larkim wrote:
    So to conclude - riding into the wind is unpleasant.

Only solutions are:-
    -MTFU
    -Better position
    -Lycra (and shaved legs if desperate)

Fair enough!
    You can ignore the hairy legs.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Somebody on here compared a headwind to a hill and I'd say that's how I look at it now, plus if you ride solo look at the wind direction and choose your route on that basis.
    I rode in to one hell of a headwind the other week, it was draining me dry for about 15 miles... until I realised that my rear brake was dragging too, I must have caught the caliper when I cleaned the bike and the wheel would even spin freely. School boy error.
  • markhewitt1978
    All our club runs are always planned such that they ride out into the wind, no matter how slight the wind may seem at first. As if you have a choice as to which way to go, might as well have the wind helping you home.
  • markhewitt1978
    Bozman wrote:
    Somebody on here compared a headwind to a hill and I'd say that's how I look at it now,.

What often happens around here is that the wind blows down the hill, which turns an already steep hill into a wall.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,913
    Wind is good, it means you have to work hard no matter what or you simply don't get anywhere.

I'll keep telling myself that as the wind is blowing the 'wrong' way and I have a rare headwind for virtually all of my 19 mile commute home tonight!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Why is that the benefit of riding with a tailwind never quite compensates for the riding into the wind bit? (Doesn't require an answer)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,913
    I've changed my mind. I hate the wind and never want to ride my bike again!
  • cougie wrote:
    there will always be wind and there will be that magical one day where you get a strong tailwind out of nowhere.

Out of nowhere? How does that happen? Windspeed and direction are predictable, aren't they? By checking the forecast, you can sometimes arrange to ride into a relatively light headwind on the way out, then a stronger tailwind going back, if the wind is forecast to increase during the day. Or the other way round. I do sometimes seem to have picked up an unexpected tailwind, but when I check my route and the forecast windspeed and direction later, I always find the stretch of road I was on was predicted to have the wind behind after all; I was just getting confused by the twists and turns of the road!
  • slowbike
    Pross wrote:
    I've changed my mind. I hate the wind and never want to ride my bike again!
    What you need are some cars doing close passes tooting their horns .... ;)

Had a head wind in to work today - but I was testing aero bars and aero helmet so it was a little easier .. not much though!
  • markhewitt1978
    Consistent wind - as long as it's not too strong (<20mph) you can deal with it by adjusting your direction etc. It's when it's blustery and gusting strong that's the issue, blowing you clear across the road sometimes!
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Try riding in the Fens (or any large flat, open area with no cover), you get full value for the wind there. A 15mph headwind can feel like a mini-hurricane.
  • markhewitt1978
    After nice calm weather all week we're going to be back to 20mph winds for the weekend :(
  • larkim
    Don't remind me - after a lovely few days in which the only duathlon I ever take part in would have had perfect weather, I have to contend with 5 laps around Oulton Park in winds gusting up to 30mph!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I was there for the Half Marathon a few weeks back - we were blown around just running.

I'm hoping it won't be anywhere near that gusty for Sunday ! Have a good race.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Wind I can put up with (and grumble about), at least the forecast is dry and mild.