Roma Maxima 2014 *Spoiler*

1235»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gilbert on twitter:
    "After a technical problem I was racing on the open road with a lot of trafic to come back then my saddle was broken but I stil smile!"

"No doubt cycling is the must dangerous sport in the world."

-

"It was a real amateur race," Gilbert told Cyclingnews after taking a drink.

"I had a problem with my bike and I was with Chris Sutton and another guy. We were only 20 seconds behind the main group but the traffic was open and we were riding between the cars. It was very, very dangerous. I hope we never see this again in cycling because it’s a real shame."

pic440740834_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Chapeau to Eurosport, they played the Strade Banchi then straight into the Roma Maxima. Wife was well miffed.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I enjoyed that race, although the commentator annoyed me by say Quintana's name like "kintina" all day.

Has Valeverde peaked to early? Long way to july.
  • frenchfighter
    SPTDW210-659x440.jpg
    SPTDW211-659x440.jpg
    SPTDW215-659x440.jpg
    SPTDW202-659x440.jpg
    SPTDW224-659x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    sjmclean wrote:
    I enjoyed that race, although the commentator annoyed me by say Quintana's name like "kintina" all day.

Well, he's correct whether it was annoying or not. Problem is that the other commentators have got it wrong for so long that their version seems right
  • frenchfighter
    Valverde said after the race, “I’m super happy, it was a great victory. It all went perfectly for us, but we deserved it: the team was sensational and took control of the race all day, so we could get to the climbs with all chances to succeed. At the last climb, we did what we had planned before the start: attacking, Nairo and myself, one by one, to break the bunch into pieces. It wasn’t easy, because although the pace was high, the rivals were sitting on our wheels and always gives you much more energy. However, we kept on insisting, and such constance was the key for success. Eventually, I went away with Pozzovivo. Though I led the first part of the descent, he helped me out quickly and was a loyal break companion; it’s sad he couldn’t take second, because he deserved to be on the podium. Once we made that gamble, we had to dig deep until the very end. I went on full steam all the time, despite the headwind in the last 30k. I didn’t know either how many riders were behind, and Pozzovivo told me in the finale he was suffering a lot. That’s why I led the two of us through the last kilometer, controlling the gap with the peloton and looking for my distance into the sprint. I knew I had the legs and a decent gap to make it. This start of the season is amazing for me, impossible to beat. Not only because of the wins, but also the sensations. I’m 33 years old, but I feel stronger and stronger every year. Let’s hope it keeps going on this way.”

Heavyweight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Was a classy interview and a classy ride, a few more of those and he would be hard not to like.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BiX5GaTCcAAmPG4.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    You are on good form with photos this last month or so Twh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    andytee87 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Well, he's correct whether it was annoying or not. Problem is that the other commentators have got it wrong for so long that their version seems right

Here's some Spanish commentators pronouncing exactly the way most English speaking ones do. Keen-taana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwdNyHo7EQ (4m 33s)

Quigley pronounced it as a rhyme of Eric Cantona, except with a Ki rather than Ca. I've never heard a latin type name said in such a way... Kintinna? Really? That's correct? With no emphasised second syllable?

That Spanish commentary is the dog's baws btw!
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    andytee87 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Here's some Spanish commentators pronouncing exactly the way most English speaking ones do. Keen-taana.

Quigley pronounced it as a rhyme of Eric Cantona, except with a Ki rather than Ca. I've never heard a latin type name said in such a way... Kintinna? Really? That's correct? With no emphasised second syllable?

Yeh fair enough, I read it wrong originally and didn't see the middle 'I'. I thought the original complaint was it sounding like a k not a q.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    andytee87 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Maybe he is a Kiwi and was actually talking about Cantona!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Speed Metal Cycling Podcast have a thing on this and, given that they re Columbian, they say Kin-tana
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited March 2014
    Oops :oops:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Dupe post!
  • Anonymous
    In Spanish (and thus Columbian) the pronunciation of "Kw" use Cu ( as in cuando = when). To make a "Ki/Kee" sound, use Qu (as in Quintana). Opposite to English
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I've got to say I haven't hear any of the Eurosport guys call him phonetically QWINTAANA rather than KIINTAANA though the initial point raised was about Declan Quigley's attempt of, again phonetically, CNTNA, all ran together... KINTINAH, the only clearly sounded vowel being the last 'A'. No idea where that one came from as I haven't ever heard it said like that before. Just more evidence of DQ not having a scooby.
  • frenchfighter
    BiX5GaTCcAAmPG4.jpg:large

This is by Gruber. His other shots for this race are as usual totally amazing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    @inrng just reporting that the 2015 version of the Roma Maxima is cancelled.
  • frenchfighter
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Seems like they had a bit of a night mare this year. Read Gilberts comments that FF posted. Shame nice race.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Was bound to happen. Can't have races where Valverde actually attacks.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The_Boy wrote:
    Was bound to happen. Can't have races where Valverde actually attacks.

:lol::lol: true, it was a great last few kmlast year. Such a pity (no pun intended) if it doesn't go ahead
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Hope it gets sorted, this has become one of my favourite races in the last couple of years.