Roma Maxima 2014 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    edited March 2014
    What happened?!

LOL: Valverde hung on by his finger tips and Pozzovivo's team won the sprint! :

So actually decent tactics by AG2R ... clever gamble ...
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    What happened?!

The peloton almost caught them, Valverde stayed cool and won by 5 bike lengths - Pozzovivo was swamped, Appollino from Ag2r took second, a bardini rider 3rd.
  • "you could tell at 500m Valverde wasn't going to be caught"....good one! At the time the commentator sounded like he was about to stroke!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What happened?!

LOL: Valverde hung on by his finger tips and Pozzovivo's team won the sprint! :oops:

Errrr, it's on tv and you aren't watching? :wink:

Ha well having a few technical issues here...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    What happened?!

@250m Pozz was in second Valverde was checking him oput and a stampede of a group was almost on them he didn't panic and was so cool he just got his head down and went, Pozz got Tsunamied into 5th on the line
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Ag2r must be sick as parrots.
    Pozzovivo sold his assistance to Valverde because he knew he stood no chance and it ends up costing
    his team the win.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mr_poll wrote:
    What happened?!

The peloton almost caught them, Valverde stayed cool and won by 5 bike lengths - Pozzovivo was swamped, Appollino from Ag2r took second, a bardini rider 3rd.

Colbrelli third, he is having a great season for a youngster.
  • frenchfighter
    "you could tell at 500m Valverde wasn't going to be caught"....good one! At the time the commentator sounded like he was about to stroke!

:lol:

Can't wait to see the closing kms.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Great work with the updates/info chaps.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crankbrother
    That was true edge of the seat stuff ... well done all involved ...

Guessing P-N might not live up to today's standards ...
  • Yellow Peril
    "you could tell at 500m Valverde wasn't going to be caught"....good one! At the time the commentator sounded like he was about to stroke!

:lol:

Can't wait to see the closing kms.

Seriously heart stopping, I'd say Valv had 10m on the closing sprint group as he crossed the line. I can't believe how cool he was when he looked over his shoulder and saw them bearing down. Undoubtedly a True Champion.
    @JaunePeril

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    That was true edge of the seat stuff ... well done all involved ...

Guessing P-N might not live up to today's standards ...

I didn't think this stood a chance of matching last year's edition, but it did!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Best cliffhanger finish since Phinney's solo TT at Poland or Tony Martin at the vuelta?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cant wait to watch it when I get home from work :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Yellow Peril
    Best cliffhanger finish since Phinney's solo TT at Poland or Tony Martin at the vuelta?

or Keisse in Turkey, TF Kirby wasn't commentating it would have finished me off!
    @JaunePeril

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Great race but the locals seemed largely indifferent, I kept wondering where the crowds were...?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    mm1 wrote:
    Great race but the locals seemed largely indifferent, I kept wondering where the crowds were...?

Same yesterday, hardly a soul until the last climb with a few hundred metres go go.
  • argyllflyer
    Best cliffhanger finish since Phinney's solo TT at Poland or Tony Martin at the vuelta?

Or Dwars Door Vlaanderen last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9CEcSG4dHQ
  • Didn't know about that one thanks, that was a total heart breaker for Tommy I would vomit every time I remembered the race if that happened me. Especially losing it to Vini Fantini.
  • argyllflyer
    Didn't know about that one thanks, that was a total heart breaker for Tommy I would vomit every time I remembered the race if that happened me. Especially losing it to Vini Fantini.

I've watched that a few times since, and again now - even now I still can't help but feel for poor old TV and disbelieve what I'm seeing.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Missed most of the race due to fitting my tuned Sram red front mech with a carbon cage that I made onto my bike.
    I caught the last km and Valverde was as cool as can be. Great win.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pozzovivo sold his assistance to Valverde because he knew he stood no chance and it ends up costing
    his team the win.
    No earpieces.
  • Crankbrother
    rayjay wrote:
    Missed most of the race due to fitting my tuned Sram red front mech with a carbon cage that I made onto my bike.
    I caught the last km and Valverde was as cool as can be. Great win.

I missed quite a bit too ... Turns out a cardboard box and clingfilm doesn't make the best tv ... Might try tinfoil next time ...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BiS6nooIEAAFxbx.jpg

Ragazzi promessa mantenuta!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    roma_maxima_2014.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    tumblr_lquonzgSs01qgnwdvo1_500.jpg
    This is my set up Crankbrother
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Got to take your hat off to Valverde, riding extremely well so far this year.
  • Yellow Peril
    his team the win.
    No earpieces.

But that's no bad thing, right?

This was a cracking race as was the Omloop because riders had to make a tactical decision unless they were fortunate enough to have a team car come alongside them. Now the argument for radios has always been that of safety and perhaps in GT's there is an argument for that on account of the extreme terrain they may be ascending descending or just the onset of fatigue into the latter part of the race, but there were no safety issues to my knowledge here. However, what we have done is witness races at the beginning of this season where riders have had to be extremely tactically aware. Would they have been as good with radios? I don't think so.
    @JaunePeril

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    What a great race on a spectacular looking route. Valverde can be a great racer when he's not wheel hanging :). . Great publicity for the endura brand this far also.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    That was a great race, don't like the winner but hats off to him.

my thoughts exactly