Just Been on the Telly....

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
...filmed without my permission.

Last year I was filmed complaining to staff on the Kessock Bridge about the ridiculous detour they put in place whilst working on it. Afterwards the film crew approached me to sign a release. The form they had was for a different programme so I didn't sign but said contact me via email if they wanted a release. They never did. Now I'm hearing from lots of people that I'm famous!

Does anybody know the rules about them filming me without my permission then using the film without a release?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    SUE THEM!!! :D
  • I know in the UK when it comes to photography any images taken of a person in a public place or readily viewable from a public place can be used without a release provided it does not portray the subject in a manner that is defamatory. I presume the same would be relevant when it comes to video. The issue would come about if the programme was sold for broadcast outside the UK where laws may be different.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Yes, IANAL, but I think that's broadly correct. Obtaining a release is an extra CYA measure, but it's not essential.
  • meanredspider
    But it's effectively listening in to a private conversation - the images are one thing but the content of the conversation is something else
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    In the UK then provided you are not the main subject of the image in question (so you happen to be in a photo of something else) then a release form is not required. However, if you are the main subject then a release form is required.

However, however, no-one in the UK gives a toss about rights. I have designed rights management platforms for a living.

The rights forms are collated by the most junior member of staff on the team at the end of the shoot, along with al lthe other rights information and so consequently this doesn't happen accurately, if at all. When it's ingested into the organisation that uses it then it is the lowest priority metadata. When it's then extracted from a library the users frequently don't understand it's value and so discard it.

All BBC rights info is held on paper or is demanded from the production team when used. ITV are the same. The team are most likely all contractors and so can't be contacted, are no longer under contract or just cant be bothered. Sky can't keep track of content IDs sufficiently well enough to have a tracking system. News Corp publish content without rights and wait for the owners to demand payment.

Basically, you send them an invoice for use of your rights. If it's too much they will try it on and say 'see you in court' and then it becomes a small claims court issue.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    Thanks - yes, I will have definitely been the main subject. And, yes, they were contractors. The release form they shoved under my nose was for DIY Rescue or something like that. I pointed out that it was the wrong form and that I wasn't sure I wanted to release anyway. I said to email me the right form. They never did. My belief, therefore, was that they wouldn't be using the footage so I'm annoyed that they have. I have filled out a complaint to the BBC
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All those people who apply to Big Brother e.t.c. would be so envious of you right now, I mean, like, you are now a celebrity innit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    They're welcome to it. I've been on TV enough times not to want to be on any more
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Do you really want to be famous for moaning?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If they gave you a release form and you refused to sign it, can't that be taken as you saying you don't want the film to be used?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Years ago I worked down the road from Granada studios. Our office was next to an advertising agency who used to get really annoyed if we stood outside their office smoking. One morning, for a "laugh" (read:publicity) they nailed up an open coffin to the wall, with a sign that said "Smoking Cubicle" on it. Obviously we just stood next to it and smoked.

Didn't think anything of it until ooh, about half way through Granada Reports when my uncle rang to say I'd been seen smoking. He is completely anti-smoking, (even though I'm a grown up and don't do it in front of him) and never misses an opportunity to have a nag. I denied it, to be told "I've just seen you and a colleague smoking on Granada Reports". He has never let me live it down.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they gave you a release form and you refused to sign it, can't that be taken as you saying you don't want the film to be used?
    Which would be irrelevant if their were no bar to them using it in the first place, the point of this is to find out if there is or not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    I've just spoken to the BBC - judging by the reaction of the guy on the line, this is not something that should have happened. He was going to kick off an investigation and come back to me in 2 or 3 days.

My gut feeling is that it can't be right that essentially private conversations can be filmed and broadcast without either consent or some "public interest" angle. I'm assuming I'm also identified given that my daughter's friends (who are unlikely to recognise me - let alone dressed in my helmet and winter cycling gear) let her know I was on TV. I'm hoping I can catch it on iPlayer abroad so I can actually see it. The programme was Life and Death on the A9 and my son tells me I appear 47 mins into the programme
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    If thats you, dodgy coloured neck scarf.. :-) Mines a Darth Vader one... chosen by my 3 yr old
  • meanredspider
    zx6man wrote:
    If thats you, dodgy coloured neck scarf.. :-) Mines a Darth Vader one... chosen by my 3 yr old

Dunno - it was a year ago. I have 3 different Buffs I might have been using. If it's "dodgy coloured" then it's either a green Maggie's charity one or it's the rainbow Shutt VR one.
  • zx6man
    Deffo the rainbow one :-)
  • meanredspider
    zx6man wrote:
    Deffo the rainbow one :-)

That's a pukka cycling one (Shutt VR) rather than any other connotations that rainbow might give :wink:

Though I can use your post in my Ofcom breach of privacy case :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just grabbing a screen shot...

Here we go:

kessock_zpsdc0013b8.png
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • zx6man
    Even the guy in the pic can't take his eyes off your buff.
  • meanredspider
    Too funny. Must have been very cold - that's my well-sub-zero get-up. Almost never wear a Buff or lobsters
  • zx6man
    At least on leaving you didn't do the "Live long and prosper".
  • meanredspider
    Intrigued to see it now. Transerv were utterly useless - they managed to get proper diversion signs up 2 weeks from completion (of a 14 week IIRC) job. They've just started the other side of the bridge
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Intrigued to see it now. Transerv were utterly useless - they managed to get proper diversion signs up 2 weeks from completion (of a 14 week IIRC) job. They've just started the other side of the bridge

To be fair you look a little like a Cyberman with the flashy light on yer noggin. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Just grabbing a screen shot...

Here we go:

kessock_zpsdc0013b8.png

Is that a Livestrong helmet OP? I can see why you're upset. :wink:
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I'm hoping I can catch it on iPlayer abroad so I can actually see it. The programme was Life and Death on the A9 and my son tells me I appear 47 mins into the programme

I thought you didn't want this disseminated, now you're telling us all where to go and find it! :wink:

Interesting to know where you stand in these circumstances, and it sounds like you've got a good response from the BBC at least
  • I watched the show last night and thought it might be you. I thought your argument was quite rational although the roads guy did say after you went off that cyclists were very difficult to please.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    I take it this is the show about the A9?

I was watching the end of the 10 part drama about the B6094 on the other side so I missed it.
  • meanredspider
    Is that a Livestrong helmet OP? I can see why you're upset. :wink:

All my dirty secrets are coming out now...! The Beeb are going to pay big time! :wink:

I have a much nicer lid these days!
  • meanredspider
    I watched the show last night and thought it might be you. I thought your argument was quite rational although the roads guy did say after you went off that cyclists were very difficult to please.

Yup - adding a badly-signed 2.5-mile detour to a 1-mile crossing was guaranteed to delight us (and pedestrians btw). We're so unreasonable.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

To be fair you look a little like a Cyberman with the flashy light on yer noggin. :wink:

I was thinking along similar lines, but more the black dalek from the Eighties, due to the orange protuberance:

Daleks%20auction.jpg