Getting a lot of cramp lately...

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited March 2014 in MTB general
It seems that the fitter I'm getting, the more cramp I'm experiencing. I did the blue and red trails at the FOD yesterday and decided to have a quick spin around the green "trail" just to get some miles in to my legs as it was getting dark and I didn't have the necessary lights to do the blue again. About half way around I was really struggling with my calves and hamstrings cramping up.

I only use water in my camelbak, I've been told that I should use something to replenish the important stuff that I'm losing through sweat. Can anybody with knowledge / experience confirm this? And if it is correct and will help me, can you recommend what is good to use.

Also, as I like just drinking water, are there any other ways of getting this stuff in to me? I.e. do any of the gels contain the important stuff?

Cheers,
Paul.
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• pumpers
    pumpers Posts: 26
    I used to suffer with cramping calves regularly. One of the nurses at work told me it was a lack of quinine and to drink some tonic wateras its a good source of it. I drank a litre a day for 3 days and now drink a litre once a month and havent suffered since.

It worked for me !!
  • paulbox
    pumpers wrote:
    I used to suffer with cramping calves regularly. One of the nurses at work told me it was a lack of quinine and to drink some tonic wateras its a good source of it. I drank a litre a day for 3 days and now drink a litre once a month and havent suffered since.

It worked for me !!
    Can I put gin in it?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    There are some studies showing lack of hydration and low salt levels can bring on cramp.

Try some ion tablets like high5 or similar
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    As above. I used to get cramp quite badly. It can be down to lack of hydration during the day.

However, I've started using the herbalife 24 hydrate in my camel back and I haven't had cramp since using it
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've been getting cramp in the calves. I've been using High 5 recently and it seems to be helping. I appreciate one person isn't scientific evidence but I've not cramped up on a couple of weeks or roadie activity.
  • better hydration and eat bananas.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Leg cramps can be a sign of iron deficiency.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • paulbox
    Cheers guys, will pop out tomorrow lunchtime and pick up some high5 tablets, see how they go.

I must admit that I think I was a bit dehydrated at the end if the day yesterday. I normally drink loads, must have been distracted...
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Technical reason is that the lack of sodium and potassium salts caused by sweating mean that the nerves are firing the muscles and causing cramp. Solution is salts - not table salt but try one of the re-hydration treatments such as Dioralite from Tesco or anyof thr=ese 'rehydration' sports drinks. But perhaps you are not eating enough if you are doing more exercise.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • paulbox
    FishFish wrote:
    But perhaps you are not eating enough if you are doing more exercise.

I can pretty much rule that risk out... :oops:

:wink:
  • benjrush
    benjrush Posts: 35
    better hydration and eat bananas.

Monkey suggests eating bananas! :lol:
  • Angus Young
    FishFish wrote:
    Technical reason is that the lack of sodium and potassium salts caused by sweating mean that the nerves are firing the muscles and causing cramp. Solution is salts

Not necessarily. There can be a number of reason for leg cramps.
  • Glad someone else agrees . Don't believe every bit of medical advice given on the net . It can damage your health.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Magnesium tablets sorted out my cramps. One a day every day and no post ride cramp. Although I do get cramp in my feet during the ride, but that is another story, probably shoe related... :(
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Ask a doctor.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Ask a doctor.

Really? Consult a qualified professional, rather than random people on the internet? Whatever next... :wink:
  • Or eat bananas , take electrolyte replacements you probably don't need and do yourself some damage.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you like drinking water then a few drops of Elete water in it will likely help. I always used to cramp when racing, and I find it good. Can't taste it either.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Ooh, it's probably your wrist action.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I used to cramp badly till I started eating porridge before a ride and eating and drinking plenty during the ride. Dont know what it does but a big bowl of porridge flavoured with apple, ginger and cinnamon plus forcing myself to drink when I dont want to during a ride seems to have cured me. I never used to drink during the first hour of a ride but now I try to take a drink every few minutes and every time we stop. I use High 5 tablets in the bladder dont know if they do anything but they taste nicer than plain water and stop green gunk forming in the drink tube.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paulbox
    I used some High5 tabs in my camelbak on Saturday at Afan and some SIS ones on a local ride yesterday, didn't suffer any problems and quite liked the taste.

Thanks for the advice.

PS. Re the comments about asking my doctor. Do people really go to their doctors with something so minor? No wonder people can't get appointments when they need them... :roll:
  • Angus Young
    If your cramp were due to iron deficiency and you were borderline anaemic, would that be something minor?
  • njee20
    Yes, if you were seriously anaemic it wouldn't be.
  • paulbox
    But wouldn't you try a few things yourself first before bothering your GP?
  • Angus Young
    PaulBox wrote:
    But wouldn't you try a few things yourself first before bothering your GP?

Yes. But I'd be wary of people on the internet telling me it's absolutely this or absolutely that.
  • njee20
    Is anyone doing that?
  • Angus Young
    njee20 wrote:
    Is anyone doing that?

Err, yes. For instance...
    FishFish wrote:
    Technical reason is that the lack of sodium and potassium salts caused by sweating mean that the nerves are firing the muscles and causing cramp. Solution is salts...

There were others.
  • I'm a nurse. Individuals have indeed posted advice that could be totally wrong for someone else.
  • Angus Young
    I'm a nurse.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpeg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Trust me, i'm a Doctor - rub beetroot on the sore bits.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!