Anyone else having issues with Garmin Connect?

steve_kay
steve_kay Posts: 197
After updating my Edge 800 via Garmin Express 2 weeks ago, I can no longer send courses to my device. I can create the course and send it to the device, the computer then says it has sent the course but when you check the courses folder on the computer and on the device, nothing is there. I spoke to Garmin about it last week and they said that this was an issue they were currently working on and would try and rectify. Has anyone else been struggling with this? Also, is there any other way I can plot a route either on connect or the device itself?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think Garmin, in their inimitable style, have screwed Connect up with the update. I have several different issues to you and Garmin say they are "working on it".

Use a different route planning software - there are a few to choose - and upload that way.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • steve_kay
    Do you know of any specific route planning software? What file format does it have to be saved in? I'm assuming you simply save the route to your desktop then drag and drop it into the courses folder on the device
  • meanredspider
    Nope I don't (I think bike toaster is dead)(try ridewithgps )

Many actually allow you to load direct to a Garmin in the same way as Connect. If not you have a choice of file type (depending upon whether you want turn guidance) and you need to drag it into the new route folder. If you just drag it into the route folder it doesn't get "compiled" (for want of a better term). Search around and you'll find plenty of direction of how to do this. Sorry I'm a big vague I'm travelling so not with my Mac
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • steve_kay
    Thanks for that. I had a look on the web and found a few sites that let me transfer the route to my garmin but they're a subscription service and I'm grudged paying for a service that garmin should be providing. Especially since the garmin device and bundle I bought were well upwards of £300
  • meanredspider
    Here's the thread for you

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12950391
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Bikeroutetoaster.com is back alive again, but is not based on google maps. Not used it yet.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    You can create routes with Strava
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Ridewithgps.com is good and free.

Save the route as a tcx.
    Drag and drop into the new files folder on your garmin.

Easy peasy
  • steve_kay
    Thanks Phil. I'll give it a go after work
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Would this 'update' be the reason why I can't even get my 500 to link up with Connect? I've downloaded Garmin Express and have tried for a week now to link my device but I keep getting a message saying that the servers are down and to try again later... :(
  • steve_kay
    Yeah it sounds like you're having issues due to the update. I'm assuming that everything was fine before the update and now it's not playing ball. Garmin have shot themselves (and the rest of us) in the foot with this update.