Cycle of Lies (book)

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    mm1 wrote:
    Reading it now - ok so far, could have done with being proof read before publising, lots of irritating small errors. The churchy stuff just seems odd. Not sure about the amature psychology, but the picture that's painted of Lance seems very familiar to someone who has a teenage son.

You read what you sow (sic) ...
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    So I can't type on my tablet. Finished reading now - the book really comes alive when dealing with Landis and, especially, Zabriskie. I'm looking forward to the sequel once the whistleblower case (and maybe even some T&R) are resolved. It will make a great movie someday (with Woody Harrelson as the old drunk Wonderboy remembering lost times).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think the rights for the book have been secured for a film, so yes, it would be good.

Agree with Whittle : This is the definitive version of the story.

I did LOL when I read that when Lance stopped fighting he expected they'd ban him and that would be that. When Tygart released the evidence is shocked and doomed him. As with The Armstrong Lie, Hincapie comes out of the whole thing as a weapons grade dick.

And the lesson learnt : Spite never sleeps.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think the rights for the book have been secured for a film, so yes, it would be good.

Agree with Whittle : This is the definitive version of the story.

I did LOL when I read that when Lance stopped fighting he expected they'd ban him and that would be that. When Tygart released the evidence is shocked and doomed him. As with The Armstrong Lie, Hincapie comes out of the whole thing as a weapons grade dick.

And the lesson learnt : Spite never sleeps.[/quote]

That...is a cracker. So true.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I think it does sleep - that's what can make it so effective: like a sleeper cell or dormant virus... Then, when the bullsh1tters and lawyers have all but forgotten - thinking they're in the clear... BLAM! Someone brings a book out.

I coughed a bit of unexpected spite up the other day when I LOLed watching the Doping Dolphin Pelizotti get dropped from the chase group in Roma Maxima with cramp...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    No doubt Floyd has done massive damage to his reputation.

But Lim and other's are exploiting that for their own gains IMO.

"Look, for example, at the arguments that were made a few years ago by Jonathan Vaughters. The claim was that the reduced watts/kg which were in the neighbourhood of 6.0 were the proof of clean. If this were true, one has to question whether the current watts/kg of 6.5 and above are proof of doping"

That's Floyd telling it like it is.

Lim is full of sh#5 IMO.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    One can question. Equal probability that the answer is no though.

OTOH, I just bought Lim's Feed Zone Cookbook. I feel so dirty!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay
    ddraver wrote:

I have a few Nigella cooks books , I also feel so dirty :lol:
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Was surprised that Kimmage didn't get more of a mention. One paragraph in at 61%.

Anyway, just finished it. Enjoyed reading about Zabriskie and Vaughters. Floyd, goodness what an interesting head case.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    typekitty wrote:
    Was surprised that Kimmage didn't get more of a mention. One paragraph in at 61%.

That is possibly because Kimmage's part in Armstrong's downfall is vastly over-stated by his acolytes...
  • mm1
    Walsh played a far more signifacant role in standing up to wonderboy, but that doesn't suit the tinfoil hat brigade who are adamant that Walsh is on the Sky payroll.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    typekitty wrote:
    I'm surprised he got mentioned at all. He wasn't mentioned in Wheelmen. His relevance in the Armstrong saga has largely been non-existent. He just occasionally shouted other people's work at pressers. He did nothing original himself.

You know how David Hasselhoff claims to have brought down the Berlin Wall, well Kimmage is the equivalent with Armstrong - just less important.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rayjay
    I thought Hasselhoff had been secretly getting people out of the east with KIT well before the wall came down.

It's all been a Hollywood illusion .... Knight rider is not real.

He was a life guard though ,right?

Oh Sh%% I've been fooled .
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    finished reading it at the weekend, it comes across as a very interesting read. Hincapie comes across as a pretty average stooge, zabriskie is a mess, Landis would have been a very interesting rider nowadays (10 years on), it seems that he really was a powerhouse, but how much of that was drugs and how much real world i guess we'll never know. his head was never right either...

overall its just retelling the story from a slightly skewed perspective, and there wasn't as much about Lemond as i'd have thought. the writer clearly has an issue with LA... and it gives a slightly sour taste to the book overall.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    philbar72 wrote:
    ... Landis ..... his head was never right either...

So you read this book. It said Landis never had his head right? Or is that your personal observation? In either case his head was never right compared to what?
  • Just started on this... Tell me, is the whole thing as bitter and sanctimonious as the first couple of chapters? Because I don't think I can take it for a whole book. The intro had me feeling sorry for Armstrong.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    rayjay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I have a few Nigella cooks books , I also feel so dirty :lol:

Nigella's books are easy reading.

Just a line on each page.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    dennisn wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    So you read this book. It said Landis never had his head right? Or is that your personal observation? In either case his head was never right compared to what?
    If you bothered to read it Denis I think you'd find that's a reasonable layman's conclusion of Floyd's mental well-being based on the contents of the book.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Just finished this. My two cents:

- Armstrong comes across as a genuine sociopath. He can't even tell the truth now
    - Landis' story is the highlight of the whole book
    - I don't believe a word Lim says
    - Hincapie isn't as nice a guy as he we all (except Iain) thought

The book is overlong and repeats itself quite a bit and the tone of the author swings between preachy and bitter, but some genuine insights and well worth the read.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dougzz wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    If you bothered to read it Denis I think you'd find that's a reasonable layman's conclusion of Floyd's mental well-being based on the contents of the book.

Well, you know me. I don't believe that you can really KNOW someone simply by reading a book about them. Even if they wrote it. People are a whole lot more complex than any book about them will reveal. This goes back to my old theory that you'll find out more about someone if you have a beer with them than by reading 100 books. :?
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    He won the Dauphiné’s uphill time trial that finished at the summit of Mont Ventoux, a mountain that soars above the Provence region of France and requires an impossible outlay of strength and endurance to reach the top
    Page 131.

I've ridden the Ventoux. Most reasonably fit people could do it if they wanted. She probably wanted to put the emphasis on the speed with which he climbed... #pedant
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Thanks for the heads-up guys. I have now ordered this book, I would never have heard of it had it not been for BikeRadar. I thought I'd read and re-read enough cycling books already, but - obviously - I'm up for this one, too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:

- Armstrong comes across as a genuine sociopath. He can't even tell the truth now

The book is overlong and repeats itself quite a bit and the tone of the author swings between preachy and bitter, but some genuine insights and well worth the read.

too long?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    have nt finished yet but I'm already getting frustrated at the way the author uses Armstrong's atheism (which she transmutes to Agnosticism) as a stick to beat him with...

I mean I'm all for beating him with sticks but FFS you know?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mm1
    Well it is written by an American for an American audience, so not being g*d squad makes him...the anti-chr*st; in contrast to the saintly Betsey (who comes across as a real person I think). Speaking of Betsy she's made some interesting contributions to the equivalent thread over in that other (asylum) place. What I found very intresting about the book was how little it has to say about Weisel and others who (I assume) may have profited from the myth along the way, although it does a pretty good job of making Carmichael look ridiculous.

There is surely more to come as the Landis whistle blower case unfolds and others come after their money.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The whole Armstrong affair is now starting to look to me a bit like Greenham Common (just up the road from where I grew up). There was a peace camp there for nine years protesting the presence of cruise missiles and demanding their removal. After nine years the missiles left and the women at the peace camp lost their relevance. But they still stayed there for another nine years protesting increasingly trivial things because they had nothing else to return to.

And so it is with Armstrong. Many made a reputation for themselves opposing Armstrong, and now the issue is largely done and dusted for the vast majority, they are desperate to keep it going as they need it in their lives.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Yes that's an interesting parallel. The witches of Greenham Common would have devastated if the Yanks had simply said 'yeah ok we'll take them away'.

LA had a great chance to call everyone's bluff with his tv interview and cooperate with the UCI which would've been tantamount to the same stumping as the Greenham Common lot would have got, a lot of 'told you so's' but a quick fizzle out after that however its in danger as you say, of becoming a long term lingering probe like who killed JFK or did they England world cup final goal really go over the line. He needs to clear the air.

It would be cheaper for LA to settle then rebuild as in 2 years his body will be past triathlons and his money making ability will be greatly reduced - today is a wasted year for him.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    dennisn wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

My observation Dennis. I am allowed to do that right?

Compared to a normal rational human being, hope thats clear. Having said that the pressure these guys must have been under could well have broken most people. they all pretty much come up as "not normal".... but again this could be the authors writing style, as its a relatively one sided read.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

too long?

Yep. I thought a lot could have been cut out and there was too much repetition. Still worth reading though.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.