Tyres rubber queen black chilli help

2»

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Race kings are appalling for serious off road riding, and a trail king on the back is OTT. Maybe a MKII on the back and trail king front?
  • Cqc wrote:
    Race kings are appalling for serious off road riding, and a trail king on the back is OTT. Maybe a MKII on the back and trail king front?

Ok is as thinking about that on the rear and a trail king front but guess in these condition I still need traction for climbs etc

I think without doubt the race kings will be my choice in the summer when the ground is harder

Mk is mountain king or mud king. .?
  • Good read here from MBUK group test lots of jargon explained and tyres tested.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... g13_72.pdf
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Been running a combo of rubber queens and mountain kings for a few year, awesome tyres.

Started running a 2.2 RQ (black chilli) up front, mountain king 2.2 rear for general uk trail centre abuse.

Moved to a 2.2 RQ (black chilli) on the back and the 2.4 RQ (black chilli) on the front for our trip to the alps last year (riding everything from singletrack to red DH routes on my Commencal Meta). To be honest, I've kept that combo going since last July. It's made for a slightly heavier haul but it's not like dragging DH specific tyres around. As you'll read in most places, the tyres come up big, the 2.4s massive! It just fits my 32 talas...

Upsides - the grip is simply awesome on everything from hardpack to wet rock and wet roots, tyres are really volumous so you can run tubes if you want at quite low pressures, conversely the grips that good that you can run quite high pressures without loosing grip. I ran pressures in the Alps of 30psi without any lack of grip, my mate who ran high rollers (with tubes) had to run his in the mid 20's to get grip and suffered a few snake bite punctures

Downside - not good in the mud, but not designed to be used in the mud.

I'm thinking of a change this year, for no other reason than the RQ's need replacing and I'd like to try something different. Have a look at schwable, it's personal choice but you could look at doing something like a 2.25 nobbly nic (pacestar compound) on the rear, 2.35 hans dampf (trailstar compound) on the front... that should be fairly spot on for Cannock. If you want something with even more grip.... schwables brining out their magic mary tyres in the next two weeks. I think they're replacing the muddy marys (ignore the name, theyre more all rounder tyres than mud specifics). You could run the magic mary (2.35 trailstar) on the front instead.

Cheers
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Cqc wrote:

Ok is as thinking about that on the rear and a trail king front but guess in these condition I still need traction for climbs etc

I think without doubt the race kings will be my choice in the summer when the ground is harder

Mk is mountain king or mud king. .?
    I meant mountain king, sorry. And I would say that rubber queens are great in the mud. Race kings are practically slick, even in the summer I would avoid them. A mate of mine somehow managed to slash his RK protections on the first ride pooling along a fire road (and he rides REALLY slowly)
  • gregwari wrote:
    Been running a combo of rubber queens and mountain kings for a few year, awesome tyres.

Started running a 2.2 RQ (black chilli) up front, mountain king 2.2 rear for general uk trail centre abuse.

Moved to a 2.2 RQ (black chilli) on the back and the 2.4 RQ (black chilli) on the front for our trip to the alps last year (riding everything from singletrack to red DH routes on my Commencal Meta). To be honest, I've kept that combo going since last July. It's made for a slightly heavier haul but it's not like dragging DH specific tyres around. As you'll read in most places, the tyres come up big, the 2.4s massive! It just fits my 32 talas...

Upsides - the grip is simply awesome on everything from hardpack to wet rock and wet roots, tyres are really volumous so you can run tubes if you want at quite low pressures, conversely the grips that good that you can run quite high pressures without loosing grip. I ran pressures in the Alps of 30psi without any lack of grip, my mate who ran high rollers (with tubes) had to run his in the mid 20's to get grip and suffered a few snake bite punctures

Downside - not good in the mud, but not designed to be used in the mud.

I'm thinking of a change this year, for no other reason than the RQ's need replacing and I'd like to try something different. Have a look at schwable, it's personal choice but you could look at doing something like a 2.25 nobbly nic (pacestar compound) on the rear, 2.35 hans dampf (trailstar compound) on the front... that should be fairly spot on for Cannock. If you want something with even more grip.... schwables brining out their magic mary tyres in the next two weeks. I think they're replacing the muddy marys (ignore the name, theyre more all rounder tyres than mud specifics). You could run the magic mary (2.35 trailstar) on the front instead.

Cheers

Great great feedback mate thanks for taking the time to post really helpful , be interested to see what you try next