Tyres rubber queen black chilli help

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some new tyres after riding at Cannock this weekend it was clear the grip was just not there made only marginally better by reducing the pressures as much as I dare... It also seems slight leaning grip was non exsisting causing washout and a skittish front and rear

Confirmed in parts in the reviews ...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 2-25-9789/

Will be ordering new rims in a month or two and will be going tubeless so want new tyres to work for that also.

Fine with getting a winter and summer tyre although happy to sacralise a bit of road speed for a great tyre offroad

Cannock is sloppy and wet mostly this time of year but other places I visit are hard packed and dry so need a good tyre.

Would like the lightest tyre possible that did it leave me open to punctures I think the nobly nic is known for punctured sidewalls ?

Any recommendations appreciated

26" btw

Comments

• Currently looking at the

rubber queen black chilli 2.2 folding as it weighs less than wired
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Rubber Queens seem highly rated, the black chili ones only though, the wire, cheapy ones are pretty shite. Schwalbe Hans Dampfs are my tire of choice and have plenty of grip round cannock, I run Trailstar compound front and a harder pacestar at the back for faster rolling and longer life. They are on the large side as tyres go but they're great, just make sure you have enough frame clearance
  • I think as you say the rubber queen black chili get amazing reviews

Specific questions on those there are so many types ...

The Rubber Queen is a tyre favoured by trail and enduro riders due to its phenominal ability to grip rocks and roots, even in the wet.

Key features:

Foldable:
    Folding Tyre.
    Constructed from 3 ply, totalling 84 tpi.
    Weight 870 grams.

Non Foldable:
    Constructed from 3 ply, totalling 84 tpi.
    Weight 980 grams.

Foldable Black Chili:
    BlackChili Compound provides phenomenal grip.
    Handmade in Germany.
    Folding Tyre.
    Constructed from 4 ply, totalling 240 tpi.
    Weight 870 grams.

Foldable Black Chili Protection:
    Protection layer to defend against rocks and snakebites.
    Handmade in Germany.
    Folding Tyre.
    Constructed from 4 ply, totalling 240 tpi.
    Weight 870 grams.

Foldable Black Chili RaceSport:
    Racesport carcass and BlackChili Compound work together for improved handling in a lightweight tyre.
    Handmade in Germany.
    Folding Tyre.
    Constructed from 3 ply, totalling 180 tpi.
    Weight 760 grams.

Foldable UST:
    Tubless tyres work with both UST and Rigida Nagesti rims and wheels.
    Handmade in Germany.
    Folding Tyre.
    Constructed from 3 ply, totalling 330 tpi.
    Weight: 800 grams.

Available in:
    Foldable (26 x 2.2 or 2.4") (29 x 2.2").
    Non Foldable (26 x 2.2 or 2.4") (29 x 2.2").
    Foldable Black Chili (26 x 2.2").
    Foldable Black Chili ProTection (29 x 2.2").
    Foldable Black Chili RaceSport (29 x 2.2").
    Foldable UST (26 x 2.2 or 2.4").

Technology

Puncture ProTection offers a robust strip of rubber beneath the tread and prevents road debris from reaching the tube beneath.

RaceSport stands for tyres designed specifically for the racing circuit. Light construction and better protection are the standard.

UST Tubeless tires work with both UST and Rigidia/Nagesti rims and wheels. Tyre and rim form an airtight chamber so no tube is necessary and pinchflats are a thing of the past. Allows for lower pressures leading to better traction.
    Black Chili compound provides less rolling resistance, lasts longer and grips better then other compounds.
  • So as I see it

If you want a tubeless version there is only one option in there tyres

The race sports are the lightest but perhaps don't offer the protection that would be needed at Cannock

There is no weight difference between the protected and non protected versions of the foldable versions both are at 870g's meaning it seems they would be the ones to go for for an all rounder

The weight saving is perfect for the race sports but has anyone got any experience with the race sports and there puncture or side wall protection. .?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    You can go tubeless without tubeless tires BTW, I have rubber queens and they are great! But the races port versions apparently grip less well
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use the race sports. Most of my riding is rocky trails and I have had no problems. They are tougher than some tyres I have used.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    lawman wrote:
    Rubber Queens seem highly rated, the black chili ones only though, the wire, cheapy ones are pretty shite. Schwalbe Hans Dampfs are my tire of choice and have plenty of grip round cannock, I run Trailstar compound front and a harder pacestar at the back for faster rolling and longer life. They are on the large side as tyres go but they're great, just make sure you have enough frame clearance

This, although I wouldn't call HD's particular fast rolling in any version.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cqc wrote:
    You can go tubeless without tubeless tires BTW, I have rubber queens and they are great! But the races port versions apparently grip less well

Interesting I've not read that anywhere ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you read anywhere.....it's pretty well known, but only using strips and sealant, they are not UST obviously!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I use a race sport on the back and a normal folding on the front. both sealed no problem tubeless.

Wired ones. throw in the bin.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Have you read anywhere.....it's pretty well known, but only using strips and sealant, they are not UST obviously!

I meant about the race versions gripping less. !

I've done a bit of reading yes
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    I use a race sport on the back and a normal folding on the front. both sealed no problem tubeless.

Wired ones. throw in the bin.

Thanks for this. Sorry if this is a silly question but is there a reason you run differing front to rear ?

Do people all run 2.2 version ? Read the 2.4 is huge !
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Cqc wrote:

Interesting I've not read that anywhere ?

I'm tubeless without using UST tyres although I'd not try and go tubeless with the racesport versions though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rookie wrote:

I meant about the race versions gripping less. !

I've done a bit of reading yes
    Argh, just to help out then, it helps to trim quotes to the bits you need to quote, not quote the whole lot confusing people!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sure, makes sense. :)

So still deciding on if its worht the risk and go for the race version with the lesser protection. Its a lot of money to ride it once and get the sidewall riped out :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd just buy a Maxxis Advantage, standard version, instead.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout wrote:

Really ? Do you have experiance of both.

Would be good to hear your experiance mate.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    For Cannock you want a Spesh Butcher Control on the front combined with something fast rolling but not fragile on the back e.g Ardent or maybe a CrossMark if you ride with a bit of finesse. Or a Spesh Captain Control if you value grip more than speed

Advantage also pretty good on the front but not as good as a Butcher

Hans Dampf also good but Butcher is cheaper
  • .blitz wrote:
    For Cannock you want a Spesh Butcher Control on the front combined with something fast rolling but not fragile on the back e.g Ardent or maybe a CrossMark if you ride with a bit of finesse. Or a Spesh Captain Control if you value grip more than speed

Advantage also pretty good on the front but not as good as a Butcher

Hans Dampf also good but Butcher is cheaper

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated Cannock is where I ride twice a month and Thetford forest too

Can you help me understand how the butcher woul be better than the rubber queen ? Not saying it's not but I am trying to learn what to look for and to understand more about it

Thanks
  • passout
    passout wrote:

Really ? Do you have experiance of both.

Would be good to hear your experiance mate.[/quote

Not both no, only used cheaper Contis & that put me off the brand to be honest. Others say that the more expensive contis are good though. I mostly ride in the Lakes and swear by the advantage - I like aspens as a rear summer tyre though (fast). If you are willing to sacriface a bit of speed for grip then the Maxxis High Roller 2 will be hard to beat. I'd only ever use it up front - maybe with an advantage on the rear? I tend to stick to Maxxis because I find them less puncture prone than many other tyres. For all rounders though - the advantage.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have black chilli rubber queens and have had the standard advantage. The rubber queens are a lot better. They just have more grip in all conditions plus they are lighter and faster rolling.
    Cheap continentals are terrible though.
  • I have black chilli rubber queens and have had the standard advantage. The rubber queens are a lot better. They just have more grip in all conditions plus they are lighter and faster rolling.
    Cheap continentals are terrible though.

Thanks for this - do you run the contis all year round ?

Been looking at running a faster running rear now after reading the posts
  • Just found this link very useful and its reassuring to see they are not far from the great help I have got in this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... /mountain/

Because I can get the conti's at a good price and want to stick with the same brand front and rear what's people's thoughts on this at least until the summer and dryer weather

Front Trail King black chilli on the front >800g's this was formally the rubber queen changed name in 2014
    Seems to have great grip and comes up wide for a 2.2 should offer the grip needed in the British conditions , downside I don't think it is specifically tumbles UST ?

Rear race king black chilli >600'gs nice And light tubeless ready UST is fast according to the reviews but as per the review does not coup so well with the muddy stuff however being a rear I think this follows the advise of running seperate faster tyre on the rear and also keeps the weight down.

How does the above sound ? Or I guess could just go trail kings front and rear ?

Thoughts welcome and thanks so far for support
  • passout
  • Back at Cannock this weekend again now wish I had moved a bit quicker ordering something :)
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Was looking at Maxxis (various types) and Trail Kings too, just order the Trail Kings, should arrive tomorrow. After reading countless reviews, sounds like you can go wrong with them for general trail riding.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Plasma_man wrote:
    Was looking at Maxxis (various types) and Trail Kings too, just order the Trail Kings, should arrive tomorrow. After reading countless reviews, sounds like you can go wrong with them for general trail riding.

Did you go for the black chilli ones mate ?
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Thanks for the lik mate but sadly hey don't sell he rubber queens / trail kings :(

Any other good links welcome !

26 x 2.2 trail king protection black chilli
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Plasma_man wrote:

Did you go for the black chilli ones mate ?

Yes!

I have beavers on just now, but spring has arrived sooner than expected so I might end up being able to test these sooner than planned. The continental website has some good tech info about their various tyre technologies.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.