PROFIL.jpg
    PROFIL.jpg
    PROFIL.jpg
    PROFIL.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Looks decent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Like the finish loop on stage 5 - that's where I will be :)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    INRNG flags that the TT could be interesting...
    Stage 1 is a 10km time trial around the city of Lyon including a climb up the Montée de l’Observance and fascinatingly the new 1.8km cycle path that’s tunnelled into the hillside and know as Le Tube. The tunnel is illuminated by projectors and a range of images can be displayed to give a disco vibe – the image above for an example that could go Tron or the wild boat ride from Charlie and Chocolate Factory. It’ll be a technical challenge to film.

9d176c32742ef75b824530ee819d0847_h.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^I thought the idea was to keep cyclists off drugs.....
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544

It's a placebo tunnel.
  • Richmond Racer
    LutherB wrote:

It's a placebo tunnel.

Excellent. This is the kind of ground-breaking stuff we need
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Is the lack of serious TT distance prior to the Tour an attempt by ASO to keep the relative TT strength of the few GC contenders showing up to their gig a secret?

Was Alberto effectively discounted as Tour threat after his 2013 Daphine TT?

Excellent tunnel. I'm laying in a stash of placebos for the occasion.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Won't this result in the entire field being DQed for riding on a cycle path? :lol:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Stage 1 is a 10km time trial around the city of Lyon including a climb up the Montée de l’Observance and fascinatingly the new 1.8km cycle path that’s tunnelled into the hillside and know as Le Tube. The tunnel is illuminated by projectors and a range of images can be displayed to give a disco vibe – the image above for an example that could go Tron or the wild boat ride from Charlie and Chocolate Factory. It’ll be a technical challenge to film.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    Is the lack of serious TT distance prior to the Tour an attempt by ASO to keep the relative TT strength of the few GC contenders showing up to their gig a secret?

Excellent tunnel. I'm laying in a stash of placebos for the occasion.[/quote]

--
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

Excellent tunnel. I'm laying in a stash of placebos for the occasion.[/quote]

Only do halves Maca

As for the TTs, Tony Martin's going to have serious beef (clen-free) with the ASO at this rate
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:
    Tejay V G has had a moan on twitter...

You do surprise me...

EDIT: had a quick peek...not too much of a moan...and its fair comment, the ASO have hammered down the TT kms this year
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I'm guessing there'll be no TV pictures from the tunnel?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    LutherB wrote:

Or great pictures if they could hook up a highwire style speed camera... though I fear your option is more realistic...
  • Macaloon wrote:

There's fewer TT kms in the Tour this year, so it's in keeping relative to the Tour really
    LutherB wrote:

Don't discount it, they had TV pics from the tunnel in the '08 Olympics, set up some fancy gizmo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    LutherB wrote:

Or great pictures if they could hook up a highwire style speed camera... though I fear your option is more realistic...
    Surely there's not a lot of point going down there if they can't film it. I'm sure they'll sort something out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

There's fewer TT kms in the Tour this year, so it's in keeping relative to the Tour really

That's true. The first TT showdown between GC favourites this season will be the penultimate day of the Tour. Was wondering if the complete absence pre-Tour was to maintain the suspense.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    dish_dash wrote:

9d176c32742ef75b824530ee819d0847_h.jpg
    Tron? I'm in
  • Macaloon
    edited March 2014
    You're ASO. You can create unforgettable images. What do you project on the walls?

Other than this
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Boar man. On repeat.
    Or maybe that would get a bit boaring?
  • Paul 8v
    Or a ghost image of you against the last rider that went through but represented by a Tron bike. Too technical?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Needs a 50km TT.

Boring as sh!t but necessary.
  • RichN95.
    Needs a 50km TT.

Boring as sh!t but necessary.
    50k is probably overdoing it a bit, but certainly needs 20-30km one. Without it teams just go into loss management mode.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Overall a good route, but …

Why bother filming in the tunnel (Stage 1) as some have suggested or would like – I heard it’s only 1 km long - just switch to showing other riders for those few seconds.

It’s not clear from the schematic of the the route whether stage 3 goes over the Col de Manse just before Gap – that would make a difference whether it’s a sprinter stage or not.

Stage 8 is too easy a finish (only up to La Praz) – they would have been better advised to have the finish at one of the higher Courchevel ski stations, so the finishing the gradients are steeper and the whole climb longer.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    Why bother filming in the tunnel (Stage 1) as some have suggested or would like – I heard it’s only 1 km long - just switch to showing other riders for those few seconds.
    Because it has the potential to look amazing on TV
  • Paul 8v
    This ^^^ No point in having it otherwise
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    TV coverage should therefore now show what’s to be seen on the tunnel walls?

Okay, I admit, it could actually be much more interesting than any 10 km TT, especially if they have a fixed camera looking at the walls, not one whizzing by with the riders at 50 km/hr, and only occasionally glancing to the side wall so you can see indistinct blurry images.

Just so long as they now and again blend in the finishing times, so we don’t think we’re in the disco.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    TV coverage should therefore now show what’s to be seen on the tunnel walls?

Okay, I admit, it could actually be much more interesting than any 10 km TT, especially if they have a fixed camera looking at the walls, not one whizzing by with the riders at 50 km/hr, and only occasionally glancing to the side wall so you can see indistinct blurry images.

Just so long as they now and again blend in the finishing times, so we don’t think we’re in the disco.
    They can project what they like on there. It could look stunning.

But if you'd prefer to watch them do a couple of lap of a bland industrial estate on the outskirts of Lyon then fair enough. Each to their own.

Let's hope the Tour of Switzerland it better and we get to see a Post Office depot or a tyre factory. Three years ago there was a multiple storey car park. That was a real treat.