What is it that cycling does for you?

2»

Comments

• Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    I just love cycling be it on road or on mud.
    I have been cycling,one way or another since i was 5 years old...41 years ago.
    I love the feeling of travel on two wheels without the sound and smells of noisy engines,however,i love driving my 1972 camper van with its funny sounds and smells and noisy engine...I particularly like driving it to a destination with my mountain bike in the back,knowing that i am going to 'mount my steed 'and fall with grace down some gnarly single tracked terrain,with just the sight,sounds and smells of mother nature filling my senses better than any drug.You cant buy those feelings...Hate to think What would life be like without a bicycle...Its great going with mates,but at the end of the day,you can only do it on your own.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I enjoy looking at the photos after and examining the GPS trace. At the time its horrible, often wet, cold, painful and miserable.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Cumm1ngs
    Cumm1ngs Posts: 13
    I have two reasons:

To get to work and back, so it's a means to an end

Then it's the buzz of having done it. Long and steady or short with hard up and down hill. It's the feeling of my whole body buzzing after the shower. And if that's the weekend, usually means a beer. That's reason 2.1, how good that beer tastes!
  • SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    Gets me out and about. Having just bought a new MTB I've very much rediscovered the 'where does that go?' mentality when out. Who cares if it's a dead end, ride back and try another route. I love being outside and in the countryside, it's suprising the amount of wildlife you can 'sneak up on' being on a bike, such as Deer and Otters etc round here.

It puts a big smile on my face and whether after a ride with the kids, a blast round the trails or a mooch round the city it gives me a sense of satisfaction and achievement for the day. :D
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    SlipSpace wrote:
    I've very much rediscovered the 'where does that go?' mentality when out.

Very big +1 on that.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Several reasons....

I try and commute via road bike as my Focus ST is crap on fuel

I love the outdoors, love the horrendous weather Dartmoor can throw at me, Love hitting rocky descents, love looking back on the route iv just taken and thinking "bloody hell thats quite a distance"

Many other reasons really.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I try and commute via road bike as my Focus ST is crap on fuel

Is it the 5 cylinder one? I think those must all have a hole in their petrol tanks. :lol:
  • Cyclone5
    Cyclone5 Posts: 39
    Most enjoyable way I find to do cardio. Love getting out in the wilds also can't beat a bit of strava action in local trail center ( llandegla ) as well.
    Great to get out after a tough day at work to de stress, love the feeling of sitting on sofa at night after a day in the saddle or a few pints. Can't really fault it :D
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    It's something to look forward to doing, something to talk about at work, something with aims to try to hit, something that's progressive and varied, something that gets me out of the concrete jungle, something that makes weekends memorable, something that gives me a reason not to waste money going out drinking, something to spend that saved beer money on, something to justify exploring new places, something that defines me as a person, something to meet new people doing.

Keeps me fit(ish) too :D
  • Cyclone5
    Cyclone5 Posts: 39
    Cyclone5 wrote:
    Most enjoyable way I find to do cardio. Love getting out in the wilds also can't beat a bit of strava action in local trail center ( llandegla ) as well.
    Great to get out after a tough day at work to de stress, love the feeling of sitting on sofa at night after a day in the saddle or a few pints. Can't really fault it :D
    Ohh also stops me going out drinking so much and sitting in rough all the next day. Also even though been mountain biking for twenty years after meeting and riding with different people and finding myself lagging behind a bit it helped me quit smoking twelve months ago
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    For me its loads of things.

I love fixing and building things, so for me messing about with bikes and getting new bits and fitting them etc is alot of fun for me, and i always like the feel of satisfaction after i build or fix a bike.

Its a great way to keep fit. One of the best really.

It compliments my football. I recently started playing football a bit more seriously and i have noticed the difference that cycling has made. My shot power is alot stronger, my running speed is alot higher, but mostly noticeably and most importantly my stamina has massively improved. And i can out last anyone i play football with.

Its better than sitting at home all the time, which is what i did before i took up cycling properly

I can get to school in around 9-10 minutes, where as it would take me the best part of 20 minutes on a bus.

It can sometimes earn me a bit of pocket money, fixing a mates bike, selling a few bits here and there.

And recently it has helped me meet a bunch of people as i have started cycling along with people, and i meet a few new people pretty much every week, and that's always great as it helps you enjoy the sport alot more.

Its just all round fun to cycle, and i enjoy it alot.