What is it that cycling does for you?

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited March 2014 in MTB general
What is cycling for you?
Im interested in finding out what cycling is for you and why you do it. For me cycling is about taking it easy not caning it because i have no reason too. i take it easy set off early on a Sunday morning in all weathers at all times of the year riding for 15 or so miles and stopping of at some rural hidden gem of pub and having a pint or 2 and cycling back. for me its getting out of the house, its riding my bike and having a pint or two along the way. Thats why i ride going out to enjoy myself stopping off with riding buddies and having a pint and something to eat and having a good old chin wag. So what motivates you to ride why do you bother what is it that cycling offers you?
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its many thing for me. I like the sense of adventure from getting out in the hills with just an os map and a vague idea of 30 miles. The sense of achievement from getting up a nasty climb. The peace and beautiful places my bike takes me to. The huge adrenaline rush of hitting a big gap jump and the frustration of of making a mistake in a downhill race.
    Mostly it's just about having fun shredding trails with mates. Doing daft things. Taking risks and tricking jumps and laughing like an idiot.
  • Dannyboy95
    Great stuff is there no room for a pint in that statement lol

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's alway room for a pint of Cheddar Valley.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I like riding bikes.
    Cars scare me.
    So I stay off road as much as possible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    For me, a few things, I love cycling with my 6 year old son, for the last 3 months or so we have been out nearly every weekend and we both love it!!

But at the same time, it keeps me fit, and let's me have time out! Everybody needs time out, and after a good session riding, I'm completely chilled :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I used to be incredibly fat. I cycle. I'm now just fat. Result.

I like getting out in the fresh air and stuff and pushing myself on the downhills too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Its fun and freedom thing for me. I get a serious kick of being out and leaving the rest of the world behind for a few hours, having fun, laughing and trying to become a better rider. As much as I like an easy going ride, I'm competitive at heart, so I'm always looking to get better and further or faster. In all honesty I think for many mountain biking isn't just hobby it's a lifestyle choice. It can open up so many opportunities, visiting new places, meeting new people and for me at least working opportunities that just sum up why I love riding bikes, it's the whole package, the riding, the banter, the techy stuff, shiny new kit, the lot. It's just a brilliant, brilliant way of enjoying yourself and that for me is why I love it so much.
  • its about climbing horrible welsh hills, beers in the pub, and getting down some gnarly natural trails the other side of said hills....

with plenty of crashes and laughs along the way!
  • Lifestyle choice - if I don't get out at least once a week, even for a quick ride with the dog, I get a bit antsy. It's been a great way to meet like minded people, improve fitness, state of mind and general well being. Visit new places across the uk and on my doorstep, visit great pubs and enjoy different ales, are also what it's all about for me. Adrenaline like nothing else, even when falling off. Being a part of something that's good for the soul.

Bit hippy'ish but some once told me that for them, mountainbiking was as close as it gets to surfing - without the water and sharks of course. Spiritual, not sure, but it's a necessary fun for me.

Oh, and it's cheaper than golf man.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Its my summer equivalent of skiing - gets me outdoors, gives me adventure and adrenaline, has similar skills and focus as skiing if I am feeling technical and looking to work on something, keeps me fit and gives me a chance to feel like a kid again.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    clearing my head..... and the peace and quiet of it all.......
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I don't know any more, i think i'm bored of it. I barely ride any more.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Said in best emo voice.

ps even we could have beaten Hull.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:

Said in best emo voice.

ps even we could have beaten Hull.
    I'm almost glad, means I don't have to complain about the weather as much anymore :wink:

ps could you do it without a formal written warning though?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    I like riding bikes.
    Cars scare me.
    So I stay off road as much as possible.
    This is a pretty good summary.

I used to road ride a lot even competitively. But now the roads terrify me.

Unfortunately I'm a much better roadie than MTBer - but I figure if I injure myself off-road it'll likely be my own fault.

I do like to stop off for a pint or two on a weekend ride though
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Like most others, a few reasons.
    It's something I enjoy doing with the missus and we both enjoy riding with other mates, I enjoy being outside, I like travelling faster than walking or running without an engine, it usually requires enough concentration that I can't think about work and if it weren't for cycling I wouldn't get much exercise.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Peace and quiet and less earache than being at home with her indoors...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Puts a grin on my face that almost touches at the back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Good thread, lots of interesting answers. And I like the fact that it's lots of things for each person.

I love being out in the wilds or up a mountain. Always have done. And I love being there alone - I never ride with anyone. I never take a phone. That's part of the adventure: self reliance. If something goes wrong, I'm going to have to deal with it myself.

I love just tearing along. I love speed. I love tearing along hard to ride stuff (all relative, of course) and making it to the other end. I love climbing, technical or slog, until I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack, my head's going to explode and my thighs feel like they're about to burst into flames. I love riding so hard that I, literally, buzz for the rest of the day.

I love the number of people who've commented on how slim I'm looking in just over six months of riding (Jeez! How fat was I?!).

And I love when I ride with my 8 year old (I know, I said I never ride with anyone. She doesn't count and she's only there sometimes). Now, I'd guess that every parent will say that, but for me there's more. 2 years ago she had major surgery on her hip, 8 hours during which they sawed through her left femur and took a wedge out to correct the angle of the head then sawed her pelvis in two so they could tip the socket over. She then spent six months in a cast from her ankles to her armpits. And that was the second time she'd been through all that! I can't begin to describe how much joy it brings me to ride behind her and watch her tear through the woods, standing up on the pedals and giving it welly.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Tis the reward of feeling on the limit on a superb descent for me.

Recently realised that I have no interest in xc, but at the same time find uplifts boring.
    I love that riding the Canyon up is a massive effort and other people I meet out and about think I'm a bit mad riding a single ring, 38lb 180mm travel bike up trail (and I hate pushing so I damn well ride where I can!), but it doesnt half get you fit!!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I love being able to switch off, Riding just gets you out! no phones, computers or bosses!
    I have raced, I have pootlled, I enjoy it all inbetween. I enjoy the technical side of building a bike, making changes and seeing how different it feels when i've made changes.
    I get a bit of stick for changing bits/bikes all the time, but for me thats a big part of my hobby.

A weekend away in the mountains riding with the lads is as about as good as it gets, throw in some good food and a few beers and you have a happy Surfbum.

Wife asks "Why you driving all that way just to ride your bike?" if you have to ask, you'll never know.

Now give me some dry weather!!!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I love being able to switch off, Riding just gets you out! no phones, computers or bosses!
    I have raced, I have pootlled, I enjoy it all inbetween. I enjoy the technical side of building a bike, making changes and seeing how different it feels when i've made changes.
    I get a bit of stick for changing bits/bikes all the time, but for me thats a big part of my hobby.

A weekend away in the mountains riding with the lads is as about as good as it gets, throw in some good food and a few beers and you have a happy Surfbum.

Wife asks "Why you driving all that way just to ride your bike?" if you have to ask, you'll never know.

Now give me some dry weather!!!
    Amen to all of that
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I love being outside, wearing the right gear (to keep me comfortable) relaxing and having fun. I'm a big lump so I'm never going to be quick on the climbs, but when fit I do enjoy a bit of climbing. I'm a bit of a scaredy cat so I'm never going to be the quickest downhill, but I do enjoy a bit of an adrenalin rush. Basically, whether up or down, I like doing it at my own pace.

I like riding on my own and with groups of friends. I like the diversity of people that I meet through riding. I like helping others and being offered help when knelt over a bike on the side of the trail.

I like my bikes, when they are all clean and shiney I sometimes just stick my head in the garage just for a look at them. I enjoy the countryside and I love finding new places to ride (note to self, get the map out and look for some new places to ride!).

I like a pint too, but I'm trying to reduce intake at the moment to decrease lumpiness and improve climbing...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Used to have a very bad drug problem been off them for years now and mtbing gives me the same adrenaline rush and sense of freedom as they once did. Plus as far as habits go mtbing is good for you. So its a habit I won't ever kick.
  • Getting out of the city and off my backside, sharing a laugh with mates.
    Exploring beautiful mountains that never been ridden.
    Finding or cutting new trails.
    Meeting the locals who live a simple, hard but happy life in the rugged mountains of Sichuan.
    Acting like my shoe size not my age.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It's fun (off road), the exercise makes me feel good (endorphins are nature's own antidepressants, without the side effects), I like the countryside and you can't lose your driving licence or go to jail for riding like a tw*t or doing crap wheelies.
  • If you want to ride you exercise, one more reason to avoid sweaty people at the gym.
    I used to do offroading with mates, I owned landrovers and suzukis over the years and mountain biking is the closest and cheap alternative to offroading to suit me. Not everybody followed, but whoever did, cycling is part of our routine now. cooldad you would't be so safe if we lived close! Fortunately for me, I live in Cyprus, plenty of trails and no wet weather!!! I quit smoking, lost a few kg's, my wallet is slightly heavier and more important is fun like hell!!!
    What else should you ask?
  • Dannyboy95
    Excellent stuff glad so many people took the time to write something, Its good to see that people ride for different reasons all great stuff keep then coming!

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    snowster wrote:
    Peace and quiet and less earache than being at home with her indoors...
    HAHAHA!