I like the F22 and I like the MiG35. But which is Best?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
There's only one way to find out.

Two_F-22_Raptor_in_flying.jpg

v

08.jpg

FIGHT

Crimea_republic_map.png
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I have a flight sim that uses The Crimea, it's one I'll have to dig out so I can pontificate as things develop.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    This is starting to get seriously scary. I just hope the Russkies decide that they can't afford a full-scale war.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    I'm getting worried, Sebastapol is only about 5 miles from my house. Not sure why the Russians are invading the Cwmbran area though.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Pross wrote:
    I'm getting worried, Sebastapol is only about 5 miles from my house. Not sure why the Russians are invading the Cwmbran area though.

...amd to add insult to injury, on St David's Day!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Pross wrote:

They like leeks..
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    The russkies can't help themselves; throughout history they've been an imperialist invading and dictatorial group. Modern Russia is hardly what you'd call a democracy - Putin is closer in values to Hitler or Stalin than he is to western leaders... :shock:
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,635
    Appreciate it's a light hearted thread and this isn't really in the spirit of it, but if war does break out it will be horrific.

It won't just be a war between Ukraine and Russia. It will be a bloody, nasty civil war with the Russians on one side, and possibly (just possibly..) nato on the other.
  • ukiboy
    Agree, it will be horrific but NATO won't get involved as the west doesn't have the stomach to get involved. And why should they?
    When the Soviet Union split and Ukraine inherited many nuclear weapons, the west was insistent and pro active in getting Ukraine to give the nukes up, even going so far as to guarantee Ukrainian territorial sovereignty. Now that Russia has breached that sovereignty the west won't do anything.
    Ukraine perhaps should have held onto those nukes as they would now prove to be a big leveller...
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    The Soviet Union packed the area with Russians to support the Black Sea fleet. The only point to the Black Sea fleet is to threaten the former soviet republics around the region. It has little international value, as when it comes to an international conflict, NATO would just blockade the Sea of Marmara.

The Russians are like a workman with only one tool in his tool box: he can only use one tool. For the Russians, that tool is threat.

The guy who invited the Russians in had no power to do so, and they know it.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • ukiboy
    Very insightful and very well put. You obviously know the history of that area well...
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Maybe we should be grateful there isn't a Republican in the White House. Imagine this happening with Bush still in charge.

If your house is heated by Russian gas it might be time to get that wood burner ordered.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    To answer the OP, I'm sure Vtech has one of each. Maybe we can test fly them to suitably inform the thread.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Maybe we should be grateful there isn't a Republican in the White House. Imagine this happening with Bush still in charge.

It did in Georgia in 2008. The Russians got what they wanted. It might have been a different case with Ukraine, but I can't see Bush and co. attacking a military power like Russia.
  • mr_goo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    To answer the OP, I'm sure Vtech has one of each. Maybe we can test fly them to suitably inform the thread.

Yeh pretty sure that he has one of each in his big shed full of boys toys.

F-22 Raptor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIVJZmkoTLU

v

MiG-35
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LER_nq9viKM
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    annexe chelski's ground in retaliation abramovich will soon get on the phone to his mate putin and tell him to get the hell out of crimea.

just keeping it light hearted while we can :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Any comparison will have to wait until around 2016, then the Mig 35 enters service...
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Imposter wrote:
    Any comparison will have to wait until around 2016, then the Mig 35 enters service...
    Meanwhile, how about the MiG-31?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5DsLow4SVQ
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    I like the F22 and I like the MiG35. But which is Best?

There's only one way to find out.

Organise a test drive...?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ben6899 wrote:

Sorry, I only have a Piper PA32 Saratoga and that's hardly a fighting machine ! Range is small at around 1300km so no good for modern warfare I'm afraid.
    Having said that, I'm not yet instrument rated so could only fight during the day which would put an end to the night raids as well.
    I'm not cut out for war really am I !
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Sorry, I only have a Piper PA32 Saratoga and that's hardly a fighting machine ! Range is small at around 1300km so no good for modern warfare I'm afraid.
    Having said that, I'm not yet instrument rated so could only fight during the day which would put an end to the night raids as well.

Nice plane. 6 seater with retractable gear.
    I also like the Rockwell Commander 114 and Cessna 210 Centurion. Both a bit old now but great single prop planes.
  • VTech
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Nice plane. 6 seater with retractable gear.
    I also like the Rockwell Commander 114 and Cessna 210 Centurion. Both a bit old now but great single prop planes.

You have PPL also ?
    I got mine as it is far cheaper than most people think, a great way to travel for fun too.
    Living MY dream.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    pleeeez can someone with a f22 or Su35 shoot it down :lol:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    supersonic wrote:
    kilmer.jpg

That's Miley Cyrus isn't it?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I saw ya video VTech .... Perhaps you could do the amphibious landing? :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • VTech
    Philly8mt wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I saw ya video VTech .... Perhaps you could do the amphibious landing? :D

:mrgreen: somehow I hope not :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    don't know about the F22 and MiG 35, but on a trip into Chechnya, when Grozny still existed and was not bombed to hell by he Russians, an old colleague of mine was asked what he thought about MiGs. Quite respectful was the answer, especially of the one that shot his F4 down over 'nam.
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    Looks as if they're both made out of titanium, but the MiG appears to have slightly more aggressive geometry.

I think you need a test ride.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    F22 is in a league of its own but there's only ~200 in service.

As far as air superiority goes the real question would be how well manned, maintained & modernised the much larger fleets of f15/f18 & mig29/su30 are.
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I don't know, apparently the Dehavilland Chipmunks I flew in as an air cadet (well similar examples, I'm sure I've not flown a real warbird) were used for spying over Eastern Germany during the cold war - Should think the PA32 will get out of the way a bit quicker than a Chippy.
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20