Throughly fed up

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Why do we do it? Just got back from my delightful 15 mile slog.

Filthy, wet, windy, cold awful depressing weather.

Pitch black.

Road surfaces that would shame a cart track.

Drivers who roar past within touching distance.

Added to this my crappy light packed up at the top of a steep, windy, unlit hill with me at the head of a line of traffic. No warning, no dimming, just gone.

Fcuk it all, frankly.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Yep I spent the whole commute thinking the same.

Entitled my upload to strava "Utterly Shite"
  • secretsam
    JZed wrote:

Right, that's two of us. Any more?

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SecretSam wrote:
    Why do we do it?...
    So that we can eat whatever we want.
    To keep us fit.
    To get to our destination quicker.
    To save money.
    To avoid public transport.
    Because it is fun.

Those are some of mine. Some days are better than others, but the bad ones just make me appreciate the good ones more.
    The next time you're cold and wet, just remember this commute, realise it isn't as bad as it was today and enjoy the rest of the ride.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    SecretSam wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Well, this is really encouraging me to head out this evening.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Why do we do it?...
    To keep us fit.
    To save money.
    Because it is fun.

Those are some of mine. Some days are better than others, but the bad ones just make me appreciate the good ones more.
    The next time you're cold and wet, just remember this commute, realise it isn't as bad as it was today and enjoy the rest of the ride.

The scary no lights moments will live long in my memory. Allow me to rant. It relieves the cranial pressure.

• secretsam
    rjsterry wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Don't use me as an excuse! I just hope you have a more pleasant ride than I did.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SecretSam wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Why do we do it?...
    To keep us fit.
    To save money.
    Because it is fun.

The scary no lights moments will live long in my memory. Allow me to rant. It relieves the cranial pressure.
    Ranting is good for you.

Apparently call centre jobs are really stressful (second to air traffic control!) because you can't have a go at the callers, you just have to take it. When that call is over another irate caller replaces it immediately, before you get a chance to let off steam (by ranting).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    JZed wrote:

wfh this week innit just warm house, tv & beer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Because we can...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    SecretSam wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Don't use me as an excuse! I just hope you have a more pleasant ride than I did.

No. Not really. Thought I'd take the edge off by getting the train part way but ten minutes in the guy opposite projectile vomits over the seat next to me. Thankfully I seemed to escape any splatter. Got off in Streatham and the weather was (still) mingin'. :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Ah, your post on my thread makes sense now.

Get a backup light! I've killed a couple of lights riding in wet weather.

Why do we do it? Well yes, all the points that have already been made. But remembering this also helps:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#9
  • secretsam
    And, of course, this morning it's glorious - and I'm not riding

Mind you, am off for a dirty weekend with Mrs SecretSam, so every cloud...

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    That's me (apart from the dirty bit) - I spend all week commuting in shite weather and the come the weekend wife, kids, dog, DIY get in the way when it's perfect for riding
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I carry a spare light and spare batteries. Just as I do a pump, spare tube and repair kit.

Huzzah!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Remember, winter miles are worth double come springtime
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I drove into work last night as it was raining, a bit. I spent 40 minutes in a jam on Brixton Road. Serves me right!
  • secretsam
    I drove into work last night as it was raining, a bit. I spent 40 minutes in a jam on Brixton Road. Serves me right!

Drove in this morning, as meeting elsewhere this afternoon. Traffic horrific due to an accident, so would have been laughing if I'd been on the bike. Lovely weather, too. :roll:

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Because it's better than sitting in the car. It's also the only thing that's keeping me going cycling wise. Can't do long club runs as I end up in severe agony for days after.

Remember that thread '11th October" from 2012 about the snip, well here I am 18 months later in a right mess having had one plumb with extra bits chopped off it 6 months ago. Riding is leaving me in agony, but giving it up is not an option. I've got a month to decide if I either have the operated on plumb chopped off or leave it a bit longer. The other plumb is knackered too !

So crap weather is fine by me. At least I'm still riding.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    fossyant wrote:
    Because it's better than sitting in the car. It's also the only thing that's keeping me going cycling wise. Can't do long club runs as I end up in severe agony for days after.

Remember that thread '11th October" from 2012 about the snip, well here I am 18 months later in a right mess having had one plumb with extra bits chopped off it 6 months ago. Riding is leaving me in agony, but giving it up is not an option. I've got a month to decide if I either have the operated on plumb chopped off or leave it a bit longer. The other plumb is knackered too !

So crap weather is fine by me. At least I'm still riding.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am still not able to blink after reading that
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • fossyant
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am still not able to blink after reading that

Yup, totally hissed off.

Spent most of last year going to and from my Urology Surgeon, suggested a couple of options. We tried time, didn't work, we tried drugs, didn't work. Option was cutting the plumbing off leftie (epididymectomy), wouldn't do both as it was risky (I now know why). Anyway had that done last October, was off the bike for 6 weeks. Got back into commuting in December, sore but OK, then bam, constant bollox kicking pain and a big lump. A&E and scans, nothing serious, just scar tissue. :shock: Saw consultant, if not better by April, then we will have to think about cutting it off.

Racked the miles up in January and February, did two club runs in Feb, so was upto 1000 miles in about 7 weeks, and then again BAM. Massive pain. Took half term off, no riding, lots of pain killers. Back on the bike but still in serious pain - 60mg of codeine and paracetemol to sleep.

So, I've tried getting my miles back to 'normal' and this thing isn't healing. Have to decide on 1st April, of all days, whether to go ahead with having leftie removed. Righty is still painful, but we didn't do any more operations on that. Down side is potential for continuing pain, and more scar tissue. No guarantee of reducing the pain.

The pain feels like the exact pain you get a few seconds after being kicked in the knackers !

Sooo angry about the situation. Really wished I'd never bothered agreeing to the snip.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    jeez, it sounds awful and there was me and my wife talking about it last week :S
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Dont let DDD see this, he will feel vindicated.

Get better soon Fossy.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • fossyant
    gabriel959 wrote:
    jeez, it sounds awful and there was me and my wife talking about it last week :S

1 in 10 develop Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome (PVPS). It got me. It's down to the body not being able to absorb the man juice so pressure builds up in your plumbing and it gets very painful (epididimitis). Mine was complicated by the GP severing a blood vessel, and leaving it stitched and pulling tight in my groin (I could feel a tight tube). So my next operation was to remove my plumbing and the GP's mess. It's fixed the groin issue but I've got some nasty scar tissue on where the epididymis was - you'd never know that was gone as the scarring is extensive.

If the snip goes well, as in 90%, then you are right as rain in two weeks maximum. Mine was a disaster from the operation. 1 in 10 is a serious concern, and I've got an official complaint in as this was denied by the GP. I'd asked all the right questions, saying I was a cyclist, didn't want any complications in my bearings...

Anyway, due to the location of the epididymis (back top of plumb) it's exacly in the area where your bits come into contact with the saddle. :shock:

I suppose if I wasn't a cyclist, I wouldn't be in such a bad situation. This is where a couch potatoe would be OK.

As you can imagine, it's causing friction at home as I'm pushing myself to get the miles up to see if this thing will hold out, but it's causing me lots of pain. Missus is worried about me having one removed as the pain might not go, and I'll be down one and hoping that the knackered righty can cope !

My GP is quite happy for me to keep popping huge quantities of pain killers if I so wish - I tend to wait until the evening though.

Seriously hacked off as getting back into club runs was my goal. Just the month before the snip, I'd rattled off a 120 mile ride in a little over 6 hours, now can't do 50 without pain.

Do some research before agreeing to it. If you get PVPS you are knackered as it can't be cured.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    I feel dizzy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I can't cross my legs
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • fossyant
    I can't cross my legs

Neither can I :lol:
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    OK... I am moving into the spare room. Right now.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • itboffin
    fossyant wrote:
    I can't cross my legs

Neither can I :lol:

holy crap fella you poor bugger, now i dont feel quite so bad about my bucket full of painkillers and other assorted drugs every 4 hours, spine pain verse that, loses every time :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    fossyant wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

1 in 10 develop Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome (PVPS). It got me. It's down to the body not being able to absorb the man juice so pressure builds up in your plumbing and it gets very painful (epididimitis). Mine was complicated by the GP severing a blood vessel, and leaving it stitched and pulling tight in my groin (I could feel a tight tube). So my next operation was to remove my plumbing and the GP's mess. It's fixed the groin issue but I've got some nasty scar tissue on where the epididymis was - you'd never know that was gone as the scarring is extensive.

If the snip goes well, as in 90%, then you are right as rain in two weeks maximum. Mine was a disaster from the operation. 1 in 10 is a serious concern, and I've got an official complaint in as this was denied by the GP. I'd asked all the right questions, saying I was a cyclist, didn't want any complications in my bearings...

Anyway, due to the location of the epididymis (back top of plumb) it's exacly in the area where your bits come into contact with the saddle. :shock:

I suppose if I wasn't a cyclist, I wouldn't be in such a bad situation. This is where a couch potatoe would be OK.

As you can imagine, it's causing friction at home as I'm pushing myself to get the miles up to see if this thing will hold out, but it's causing me lots of pain. Missus is worried about me having one removed as the pain might not go, and I'll be down one and hoping that the knackered righty can cope !

My GP is quite happy for me to keep popping huge quantities of pain killers if I so wish - I tend to wait until the evening though.

Seriously hacked off as getting back into club runs was my goal. Just the month before the snip, I'd rattled off a 120 mile ride in a little over 6 hours, now can't do 50 without pain.

Do some research before agreeing to it. If you get PVPS you are knackered as it can't be cured.

:shock: Thinking about other options now.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • itboffin
    actually getting married ended sex for me so no need of any contraception :roll: