Stiff legs

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
I'm glad to be getting out on the bike a bit more now the weather's bucked up but I'm getting stiff legs post ride and even the following day. I put in a fair amount of gym time over the winter and still go 3-4 times a week so overall fitness is good (for an old codger :) ). I've been advised that massage and/or foam roller techniques would improve things. Any advice? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Do you stretch before/after exerciser?

When you finish riding do you make sure you keep your legs moving for a bit before you relax?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    As above, stretch, maybe invest in a roller, and I find a handful of nuts and a glass of milk immediately post ride helps (probably placebo)
    Insert bike here:
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Static stretch after, forget before and warm-up on the bike
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Do you only get stiff legs on your bike or do you have the same effect if using static bikes at the gym? If only on your bike, it would be worth checking wheel bearings etc - if they're knackered then you will have to work harder to push the wheel round, which could in turn cause stiffness in the legs. I've had exactly this problem recently.
  • Peddle Up!
    Thanks for the feedback. I stretch before and afterwards. I get this with all exercise, not just cycling so I don't think it's bike-specific. Other parts of the body are fine. Comparatively. :D
  • There is ample research showing that stretching is of little benefit and can in fact make matters much worse by causing micro-tears of the muscle.

You are probably experiencing DOMS - Delayed onset muscle soreness - which is largely a reflection of doing more on the bike than you have previously. It may help if you avoid heaving on a large gear and instead keep your cadence up.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Should never stretch before exercising; warming up however is a different story! ....The exact reason, I'm not the person to say as I don't know, but I know that's what I've been told by a friend who is qualified and practising physiotherapist, I'd much rather trust her over reading some idiots arguing the matter on the internet ;) ....Stretching after intense exercise is important, again, the reason I don't know, but that's what I was told to do, and she showed me which stretches to do and how to stretch properly, which is even more important than doing bad stretches!
  • Stiff/tired/sore legs in fit athletes is usually the result of over training.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    In terms of stretching before exercise you can use dynamic stretching rather than static stretching.

This will mean that you warm up and move the muscles ready for your workout without causing the tears that static stretching can cause.

http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/races-even ... ching-warm

I've been using these recently before my circuit and I've found them quite good.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I stretch before and afterwards. I get this with all exercise, not just cycling so I don't think it's bike-specific. Other parts of the body are fine. Comparatively. :D
    Might you be overtraining a little?
    Do you usually finish off with high intensity or do you do a bit of a spin down? I get stiff afterwards if I finish with a hard effort and then collapse on the couch with lactic still in my legs.
  • DRINK, drink more water !

also think about changing the work your doing to develop both slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers to aid recovry time. Also think about developing other groups such as calfs that will take the pressure of your quads which i assume is the issue areas ?

a hot bath after a ride is also a good idea but not always practicle.

a good compression layer is alsways a good idea also something like the skins range although they are not cheap at circa £80 for the leg versions.
  • Stiff/tired/sore legs in fit athletes is usually the result of over training.

No it is not.
  • Peddle Up!
    Thanks for the rapid feedback guys. I think I'm doing the right things in terms of stretching - never cold before a ride, but "dynamic" at the gym, and stretching after exercise.

Something that might throw additional light on the situation. The year before last I had similar stiffness but went ahead with a 25 mile charity walk. I was stiff that evening and the following morning when I was down for a 100 mile sportive. I planned to start the ride and drop out if the legs played up. They were OK so I did the distance but thought "I'll suffer in the morning". The weird thing was the next day my legs felt great, better than ever in fact but the stiffness crept back over the next couple of days. Any ideas?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'd do a warm-down before hopping off the bike at the end of the ride, a good 10 mins easy spinning. Also, do you stop at the top of hills? A lot of group rides do this so people can stay together but if you've just climbed a hill you'll be pumping lactic acid round your system, and stopping won't help it disperse.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Crimmey wrote:
    Drinking is so underrated.
    Not by me. I rate drinking very highly indeed. Preferably a nice red burgundy or a hoppy pint (brew dog's 5am Saint is a good choice)