FTP Training 4mins

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
what are the thoughts about this work out?

4mins at 90% FTP, 1 min rest, repeated on a 45minute climb. Descend and do it again?

Many thanks.
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends what you are trying to achieve, obviously - although I don't see sub-threshold intervals as being particularly useful. Why not just ride up the climb at FTP?
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Imposter wrote:
    Depends what you are trying to achieve, obviously - although I don't see sub-threshold intervals as being particularly useful. Why not just ride up the climb at FTP?

Sorry - As a way of increasing FTP

Thats what I said, but the reason was about the damage it does to your body if you are wanting to train again the next day.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • I'd have thought that if you're doing 4 minute intervals then you should be doing fewer of them but faster.

A session I have used to good effect for rowing, running and turboing is 5 minutes on, 1 minute off, repeat for 5-7 times. Target pace during each work piece approx what you'd do for a flat out 15 minute effort. This works out as about 6% faster than my 1 hour flat out TT pace on the turbo.

This works well on top of a solid base of aerobic training, and a couple of these sessions each week for 6 weeks or help build towards a sustainable peak of around 3-4 weeks for racing and TTs.

Obviously, on a test sample of just me, it's hard to assess the effectiveness of this session against alternatives, but hurts like b*ggery and can be fitted into an hour inc warm up and warm down, all of which are good characteristics of weekday sessions in my view.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    What you can recover from all depends on what load you are looking to do per day, over how many days and what you are used to. That said, I see little value in breaking up tempo efforts into such short intervals, I'd sooner do the whole climb at 80%.
  • If you're in you're 20s to 30s you should be able to consistently ride at the sweet spot (~85% to 90% FTP) day in day out without accumulating significant fatigue.

This winter I've had great success 2x20 at sweet spot on the turbo during the week with 1-2 longer weekend rides with great success. More on the style of training I've approached is described here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... 85#4193285. This is only speaking from personal experience however I've found that shorter intervals have had less benefit for me unless I reduce total volume and increase intensity (VO2 max intervals).

I'd recommend breaking up the 45 minute climb into two 20 minute efforts with a rest in between. If you find fatigue building up then take more rest/low intensity days.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Agree with the above, and you might not find many 45 minute climbs near Amsterdam.

You're welcome.
  • Here is an interesting study which details out interval duration % of FTP etc and what "product" you get as a result of carrying out the interval

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm#_Toc245522381