Disc specific wheel rims ?

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited March 2014
    I am not so bothered by novatec branding. I actually quite like the destickered look. To many brand labels on bikes these days. Sometimes having destickered parts is nice.

I have tried looking up Novatec.eu and it does not exist. Can you let me know how to contact this source as there are hubs I would like to get hold of. I have found the details of Dema senica a.s is this the one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I am not so bothered by novatec branding. I actually quite like the destickered look. To many brand labels on bikes these days. Sometimes having destickered parts is nice.

The stickers are there to tell you what is what... if you want to resell a set of wheels it's difficult to convince someone that those are what they are if they don't say what they are... not everybody is a Novatec expert.
    Also, when it comes to ordering spare parts, if you have the model type written on it, it's a bit easier than having to guess... look at all these rebadged hubs and people get mad trying to understand what hub they've got and what freehub type they need... if they had written on it what they are it would be simpler.

Let's face it, if Mr Royce gives you a 10 quid discount to have your pricey hubs with the logo polished off, do you take them or you prefer them with the Royce brand on it?
    A Colnago with no stickers is just another frame made in China and pretty much worthless... branding does matter
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ugo will hopefully confirm, but I bought a pair of Novatec hubs, unbranded, and the rear was actually a different hub to the one I ordered. Actually it was better! I would not have known the difference, it took an x-purt to spot it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    Well unless I know how to contact novatec.eu I will not be able to get the branded hubs anyway so for now it a moot point to me.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    we really need to set up some white-collar boxing between Ugo and thecycleclinic to sort out their hub, spoke and rim differences once and for all :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Crozza wrote:
    we really need to set up some white-collar boxing between Ugo and thecycleclinic to sort out their hub, spoke and rim differences once and for all :wink:

It's going to be hill climbing 'mfraid... it will all be solved in the Spring Fling on May the 11th... you coming? :wink:
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Crozza wrote:

It's going to be hill climbing 'mfraid... it will all be solved in the Spring Fling on May the 11th... you coming? :wink:

I would, but my best bike has mavic r-sys wheels which will, according to some eminent wheelbuilders on this forum, burst into flames if I try to ride them
  • ugo.santalucia
    Crozza wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

I would, but my best bike has mavic r-sys wheels which will, according to some eminent wheelbuilders on this forum, burst into flames if I try to ride them

Nobody ever said that... you need to read the lines, not in between them... :wink:

C'mon join us, there is no snobbery and I cant care less which bike or wheels you ride... if you want to come with a Sirrus and flat pedals I am happy, same as if you want to come with a Colnago EPS... they are just bicycles... it's a beautiful ride
  • ugo.santalucia
    Here is something new for road and CX... 25 mm wide and no brake track, a proper disc rim

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aileron-622

I need to check when it's going to be available here and what price
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    looks tidy. But again, not the lightest. The promise of rim without a brake track creating a lighter disc rim doesn't seem to be happening quite yet.

Is there any movement on carbon disc rims? Light bicycle have some which I've been looking at recently but still question marks over build quality I guess.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    maddog 2 wrote:
    looks tidy. But again, not the lightest. The promise of rim without a brake track creating a lighter disc rim doesn't seem to be happening quite yet.

As a 28 x 25 mm is pretty light... Archetype weighs the same but it's 26 x 23
  • cycleclinic
    Yes it has maddog the Ryde pulse disc but you don't like it.
  • cycleclinic
    The thing about differences of opinion refering to an earlier post is that there is no one right way of doing wheels just different ways so no boxing needed which is good as I am crap at fighting. Also May 11th is looking shaky now mum is down for the weekend and my wife want to go for a ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Also May 11th is looking shaky now mum is down for the weekend and my wife want to go for a ride.

... she'll have to stay home and do the cooking instead... innit? :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you look at the trend, rims have not become lighter in the past 30 years... you could buy sub 400 grams Wo,lber rims in 1989, but they weren't great. I personally don't find any improvement below 450-500 grams. I've got some 340 grams Campag Omega, but I prefer the 470 grams Nemesis by a long mile.... I think the current trend for discs is to make them wider and/or deeper keeping the same weight... the improvement there is significant... I do really like to ride these 23s and I am looking forward to trying a light 25 mm
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    If you look at the trend, rims have not become lighter in the past 30 years...

Make that 60 years..! Aluminium box section rims weighed about 450-500g in the fifties. These Fiamme Sprints (socketed, eyeleted) show how little has changed!

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -rims.html
  • maddog 2
    Yes it has maddog the Ryde pulse disc but you don't like it.

:)

I'll see if Rick will lend me the pair you're building for him and see if that persuades me.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    How about the WTB Frequency i19 rims?

WEIGHT: 406g
    HOLE: 32
    COLOR: Black
    INNER RIM WIDTH: 19mm
    ERD: 603
    RIM SIZE DESIGNATION: 19-622

http://eu.wtb.com/products/frequency-team

Would they work well with 28mm or 32mm tyres?
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    i recently got some H+son archetypes on hope hubs. The finish on the rim is really excellent and they look great as disc rims. Would recommend them
  • cycleclinic
    Velocity Aerlion is 2-3months away and Big Mama distibution is bringing them with 24H, 28H and 32H drillings. That is one to wait for and alot easier to get hold of than the HED rims no matter how pretty they are.

Also Miche are making there 988 hubs available now 422g/pair. Novatec hubs have some competition now and easier to get hold of. The Miche XM40 hubs are also available now but they are a bit heavy in standard form but I am going to experiment with tuning the rear hub should be able to take 100g+ off without too much effort (change of bearing custom axle e.t.c).

Novatec EU have taken a long time to get back to me so that does not inspire me to order.

I have also found some carbon rims without brake track (my wife is getting these) so lots of possibilities for disc brake wheels.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    You have all failed to account for one thing.
    These are all black. Proper rims should be silver! :D
    Black is good for tyres and maybe brake blocks.
    Or just maybe that nice citron that Mavic used
  • cycleclinic
    silver rims are not that popular I am afraid. I quite grey and there is even less choice with those.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    The archetypes come in grey and silver, fwiw
  • ugo.santalucia
    WTF... Wheelbuilder.com already have the Aileron... how very unfair! :?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/velocity-ai ... r-rim.html

Two things

1) Going to be 80-90 pounds a piece 'mfraid

2) It comes in polished silver for the Gods of Metal

No doubt I'll be the first in the land to have them on my bike... 8)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    They look good, kind of wish I hadn't looked. I'll have rim envy soon. :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Novatec EU have taken a long time to get back to me so that does not inspire me to order.

Who did you talk to? I spoke to Anton, once the payment was cleared, the hubs were at my door within 3 days
  • maddog 2

I have also found some carbon rims without brake track .

please tell.
  • cycleclinic
    I e-mailed to get a price list and stock and it has taken 3 weeks to get a reply.

Speeder cycles (chinese) yes I know what a daft name are supplying the carbon tubular rims without a brake track. I will see how good they are. Going for 38mm deep rims in 28H drilling which I will lace to CX-75 hubs for my wifes new bike. I will probably use them on my disc brake build.