Disc specific wheel rims ?

Red-Eye
Red-Eye Posts: 20
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Another Wheelbuild question, sorry but I'm new to this sort of thing.

Is it possible to use ANY 700c rim with a disc brake hub or does it have to be a specific disc rim ?
What is a good Rim/Hub recommend for this job, I'm looking at getting a light but stiff wheels but must be disc hub compatable, I'm around the 100Kg weight but looking at getting lighter, slowly ;-(

Cheers & sorry if this has been asked before.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Disc rim lacks the machined braking surface and may* be lighter but you can use either.
    Most disc rims are "29ers", ie wider 700c for fatter tyres.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Any rim will work but a non-machined sidewall looks better.

Some disc-specific rims are starting to come through slowly.

29er disc-specific rims are available but don't always suit road tyres so my advice is stick with road rims.

Good rim is the black or grey Archetype. Tough, handsome.

Hubs - Any decent MTb disc hub - Hope Pro2 EVO, Shimano, DT, Tune - depends on your budget and needs.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • And then there is the coolest of all, finally available-ish... want.. :o

hed-bel-cx-r-650.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Black Archetypes are what I am going with
  • And then there is the coolest of all, finally available-ish... want.. :o

What are those, Ugo, please?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • these are HED Belgium C2 plus Disc 25 mm wide... "only" $ 150 a piece plus delivery, import duties and handling fees... probably 250-270 quid altogether... not a lot more than a set of boring Pacenti SL... :wink:
  • these are HED Belgium C2 plus Disc 25 mm wide... "only" $ 150 a piece plus delivery, import duties and handling fees... probably 250-270 quid altogether... not a lot more than a set of boring Pacenti SL... :wink:

I'm looking for a set to upgrade my Volagi. I need to buy a new chainset to match my Stages power meter and it's crossed my mind that I might take the opportunity to upgrade to 11-speed. The challenge that I'll probably have is that the V has a 130mm rear disc hub - I don't know how many 11-speed 130mm disc hubs there are...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

I'm looking for a set to upgrade my Volagi. I need to buy a new chainset to match my Stages power meter and it's crossed my mind that I might take the opportunity to upgrade to 11-speed. The challenge that I'll probably have is that the V has a 130mm rear disc hub - I don't know how many 11-speed 130mm disc hubs there are...

D352SB-11, coming soon

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

You can contact Anton Lucian at Novatec EU, they might have it available... delivery from Slovakia is 10 Euro or so

D352SB-11, coming soon

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

You can contact Anton Lucian at Novatec EU, they might have it available... delivery from Slovakia is 10 Euro or so

Ah perfect - thank you! I feel a plan coming together :wink:
  • maddog 2
    I know Malcolm's been building some Ryde disc-only rims for a mate, which sound pretty light.

He may be along in a bit with some details...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I know Malcolm's been building some Ryde disc-only rims for a mate, which sound pretty light.

He may be along in a bit with some details...

They are narrow though, which limit the scope to road only... I am pretty much sold on wider rims and really don't want to go back
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes they are narrow 15mm internal width but that used to be normal width at some point but at 337g per rim and they come in 24H, 28H ad 32H drillings a very light wheelset can be built with these.

The HED rim looks intresting. I will HED to find out a bit more. There needs to be a tubular alloy disc only rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The HED rim looks intresting. I will HED to find out a bit more. There needs to be a tubular alloy disc only rim.

Good luck with them... they're a waste of time
    If I get a pair for myself, I'll just buy them from the US, dealing with HED UK in the past has been frustrating, to put it mildly

An alloy disc only tubular rim? For you? There is no market for it
  • cycleclinic
    Well I am a market of one but I would like to see it still.

I have bought of HED U.K they were not that interested in selling rims but the transaction was quick and I got the rims next day so all in all I will buy from them again.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well I am a market of one but I would like to see it still.

I have bought of HED U.K they were not that interested in selling rims but the transaction was quick and I got the rims next day so all in all I will buy from them again.

They probably had them in stock... they don't keep stock of the disc ones... you can see what they've got by looking at what JRA have in stock... not much. If it's not in stock, it's 4 weeks if you are lucky
  • maddog 2
    the Heds look very similar to Archetypes though...?

same depth (25) almost as wide (23 vs 25) and about the same weight (482 according to the link below) and both tubeless ready.

What I want is a lighter disc rim, for a pair of racier wheels. But as you say Ugo, the Rydes are narrow, which I also don't fancy.

http://www.artscyclery.com/HED_Belgium_ ... DC2PD.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    maddog 2 wrote:
    the Heds look very similar to Archetypes though...?

same depth (25) almost as wide (23 vs 25) and about the same weight (482 according to the link below) and both tubeless ready.

What I want is a lighter disc rim, for a pair of racier wheels. But as you say Ugo, the Rydes are narrow, which I also don't fancy.

http://www.artscyclery.com/HED_Belgium_ ... DC2PD.html

I've got the Stans 340 black... they're 400 grams and 17 mm wide inside, same as Archetype... they are nice... do they feel or ride better than the A 23 I had before? Not really... truth is you won't notice a 50 grams difference in a rim... bit less dull maybe, but dull was not necessary a bad feeling
  • maddog 2
    yeah it's a weenie thing really, for better or worse. Archetypes are nice.
  • mattythemod
    mattythemod Posts: 289
    these are HED Belgium C2 plus Disc 25 mm wide... "only" $ 150 a piece plus delivery, import duties and handling fees... probably 250-270 quid altogether... not a lot more than a set of boring Pacenti SL... :wink:

Now now please dont slate my beloved Pacenti SL23 as boring :lol: your quite right on the pricing of the SL23 though as Just Riding Along where bringing them in last year and selling them at £75 odd a rim and this year the UK Chris King dist is bringing them in and the price has rocketed to £98 a rim !!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Now now please dont slate my beloved Pacenti SL23 as boring :lol: your quite right on the pricing of the SL23 though as Just Riding Along where bringing them in last year and selling them at £75 odd a rim and this year the UK Chris King dist is bringing them in and the price has rocketed to £98 a rim !!

I think all these 23-25 mm rims are much of a muchness in terms of ride and weight... what set them apart is the way they look: the Pacenti and the A 23 look pretty dull, the Archetype look good and those HED + Disc look freaking awesome...
  • mattythemod
    Reckon your right ...Will be buidling some Cross bike wheels for discs later this summer and will prolly go with the Archetype much better value than the Pacentis , any words on what hubs considering i will be running a Campag drivetrain .
  • ugo.santalucia
    Reckon your right ...Will be buidling some Cross bike wheels for discs later this summer and will prolly go with the Archetype much better value than the Pacentis , any words on what hubs considering i will be running a Campag drivetrain .

With a Novatec 712 rear you can get a Campagnolo fitting from BDOP cycling... with Shimano hubs you need special cassettes... get the Novatec and get them from Taiwan... The UK ones these days come with no logos and look a bit cheap... until Novatec sorts out the distribution in the UK and stop treating us like a third world developing nation, buy them from Taiwan... BDOP or Ebay are good bets
  • cycleclinic
    You don't have to go that far for campag fitting 712 hubs :wink: There is u.k distribution for some novatec hubs for a trade source, I know where to buy them from so I do. It is not that hard for other shops to work it out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    You don't have to go that far for campag fitting 712 hubs :wink: There is u.k distribution for some novatec hubs for a trade source, I know where to buy them from so I do. It is not that hard for other shops to work it out.

... but no logos... :?
  • mattythemod
    Pretty sure I - Ride are now the UK trade source ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Pretty sure I - Ride are now the UK trade source ?

The way I see the problem with Novatec UK distribution is:

1) Grey imports: unbranded hubs in plastic bags that devalue the brand, making you feel you are buying something cheap, while often you are not... Is a 712 worse than a Hope PRO 2? No, it's not... would you buy "grey" a Hope PRO 2 with no logos? Probably not...

2) Old models: I was using Novatec 711/712 3 years ago and only now you start seeing them available in the UK. The newest models don't get here... they go to South Africa, but not to third World United Kingdom. If I want to try something new, I need to get it from Slovakia or Taiwan, which frankly is pathetic... otherwise I have to stick to obsolete models, often not even featured in their current catalogue... not very nice

3) Differences: the UK available 712 hub has a different left cap design, which has considerable more drag... is it better sealed? Time will tell, but after three years on my "Taiwanese" design the bearings have done over ten thousand before being replaced, for wear and not for rust
    Dodgy hubs fitted with the wrong caps have been reported on this very forum
  • cycleclinic
    I-ride are not the source I have an account I would have noticed (unless I am blind).

The novatec hubs in the U.K are not grey imports. The distributor buys direct from novatec. They buy them without the branding as novatec sell them that way. Infact the end cap you are on about is another option. Blame novatec why don't you for giving so many options. The distributor is just buying the cheapest version to to keep cost down which is the whole point of business. Would a branded novatec hub sell for more money I don't think so as novatec does not have a developed brand image yet. If the demand was greater for branded hubs then there would be supply but there is not so that is not what is imported.

The end cap problem comes from novatec themselves or because the seller has been swapping freehubs about and got confused.

the D711/D712 is in novatec's current line up! Novatec hubs are hubs I use less frequently than other major brands. I have used more campag record hubs than I have D711/D712's!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I-ride are not the source I have an account I would have noticed (unless I am blind).

The novatec hubs in the U.K are not grey imports. The distributor buys direct from novatec. They buy them without the branding as novatec sell them that way. Infact the end cap you are on about is another option. Blame novatec why don't you for giving so many options. The distributor is just buying the cheapest version to to keep cost down which is the whole point of business. Would a branded novatec hub sell for more money I don't think so as novatec does not have a developed brand image yet. If the demand was greater for branded hubs then there would be supply but there is not so that is not what is imported.

The end cap problem comes from novatec themselves or because the seller has been swapping freehubs about and got confused.

the D711/D712 is in novatec's current line up! Novatec hubs are hubs I use less frequently than other major brands. I have used more campag record hubs than I have D711/D712's!

So in essence you are sayin' the same thing I am saying... buy them from Taiwan as for the same money you get the branded ones with the better hub cap... :wink:
  • mattythemod
    I-ride are not the source I have an account I would have noticed (unless I am blind

My Mistake ist Extra who are bringing them in although it looks like there focusing on the Novatecs complete wheelsets .
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fresh from Slovakia, courtesy of Anton at Novatec.eu, possibly the first set of these in the country?

If you wait 3-4 years they might be available even in the UK, with downgraded parts and destickered... :?

Freaking awesome hubs and guess who is the lucky one who's going to ride them... 8)

DSC_2056_zps4c53e119.jpg
    DSC_2064_zps0c185b7b.jpg